PDA

View Full Version : Missing The Smell Of...

magicman
02-07-2011, 03:09 PM
We just got back from WDW last week.

I really got into experiencing the smells on this trip. It was great!

My favorites:
- The water inside the rides like POTC
- The soaps in my hotel room
- The fires of Rome on Spaceship Earth
- Mickey's Phil Harmagic

I miss it.

mickey_M_lvr
02-07-2011, 03:35 PM
I am glad you got to stop and "smell" so many things while in WDW.

I have to say the smell of cinnamon rolls on Main street first thing in the morning.....:cloud9:

Thanks for bringin that thought back...Can't wait til Sept! :)

magicman
02-07-2011, 03:44 PM
I have to say the smell of cinnamon rolls on Main street first thing in the morning.....:cloud9:

Ohhh...nice one. The smell of the cinnamon rolls as well as the ice cream emporium can draw me in like a magnet.

I'm envious that you have a Sep trip in the works. Enjoy.:mickey:

laprana
02-07-2011, 04:04 PM
My favorite scent in the world is the smell in the lobby of the Poly! I wish they could bottle it and sell it in the gift shops. I miss it! :mickey:

Tigerinvestigator
02-07-2011, 04:30 PM
My favorite scent in the world is the smell in the lobby of the Poly! I wish they could bottle it and sell it in the gift shops. I miss it! :mickey:

You beat me to it! Kinda smells like a mixture of tropical plants, pepper plants, air conditioning, waterfalls, and Ohana's all rolled into one! Nothing better than coming back from the MK on the monorail late at night and walking through the great ceremonial house.

PopeCharming
02-07-2011, 05:07 PM
I am missing the smell of the queue to the original JII ride. Heck, I've been missing that for the last 12-13 years. Anybody remember what, exactly, that was?

BigThunderFan
02-07-2011, 05:54 PM
I LOVE the smell of POTC, that is something that brings back all the nostalgia of going when I was little. It's funny how smells can do that. One whiff of something will bring back memories long since forgotten!

I love the smell of the trees all around Wilderness Lodge.
Also the smell of the ice cream on the ice cream cookies when one of my kids inevitably shoves it into my nose because I'm taking too many bites before sharing... :blush:

GBBT
02-07-2011, 06:00 PM
The smell of the waffle cones from the Ice Cream Parlor.Didn't like the smells of the resort soap and shampoo:(.Left the bars and bottles in the room.

coloradowendyl
02-07-2011, 06:08 PM
The Lobby of Animal Kingdom Lodge, the smells on Soarin', and just the Florida smell lol when I walk out of a building .Coming from dry Colorado, Florida air just has a different scent to me!

Wendy

DisneyorBust
02-07-2011, 06:43 PM
It's great how those certain scents take you back....
...to the lobby of the Polynesian
...walking past Main Street Bakery
...PoTC
...Soarin'
...when you are walking behind the GCH at the Poly in the early evening and you can smell the oak fired grill in 'Ohana

Can we all go back now? :D

Tigerinvestigator
02-07-2011, 10:25 PM
I am missing the smell of the queue to the original JII ride. Heck, I've been missing that for the last 12-13 years. Anybody remember what, exactly, that was?

YEP!! To me it smelled kinda like sun tan lotion...:thumbsup:

Mogie
02-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Don't laugh...but the smell of the air fresheners at Disney...so strong and industrial...yet so unique to Disney.

But I also appreciate the more elegant smells like the smell of the Lobby at the Swan!

There's also something that sticks out in my mind about the smell of the Heinz BBQ sauce at the fast food places in the parks haha

Also the smoky smell of Space Ship Earth from Rome burning :)

EpcotFan182
02-08-2011, 08:25 AM
I love the smell of the grand canyon concourse in the CR and the smell of the ruins on SSE :mickey:

Mousemates
02-08-2011, 09:26 AM
my favorite Disney smells are:

outside the candy shop on Mainstreet early in the morning just after the park opens

orange trees on Soarin

fireworks after watching Wishes from behind the castle in Fantasyland

the damp smell inside Pirates of the Caribbean

Mickey'sIrishPAl
02-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Biergarten, Biergarten, Biergarten. Love walking past that portion of Epcot. Warm day, cold beer and a brat. Can't beat it. I agree on the SSE Burning Rome.

darthmacho
02-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Lots, but here's a few:

The smoky air of the Wilderness Lodge.
The humid morning air anywhere in WDW, but especially at the home resort or at the gate of one of the parks.
Coffee and breakfast, especially at the home resort, but also at Crystal Palace.
Water ride and poolside smell.
The fruity, earthy essences of wine from around the World Showcase.
A new one for me, the smells of Soarin', and not just the orange grove, but also the ocean and pine scents from some of the other scenes.

That's all I can think of right now. :mickey:

Jared
02-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Here are a few of my favorites. Sorry if I repeat a bunch others have already mentioned:

The lobbies of the Polynesian and Animal Kingdom Lodge
The water on all boat rides, like Pirates of the Caribbean and Splash Mountain
The orange groves on Soarin'
The pie in Mickey's PhilharMagic
Rome is burning on Spaceship Earth
The Main Street Bakery shortly after rope drop
The musty smell of the monorail

I'm sure I forgot a bunch!

Dragongirlx
02-08-2011, 11:31 AM
For me it's definatly the smell of the Christmas Shop in Magic Kingdom but I also love the orange groves in Soarin and the smells in Mickey's Philharmagic

ransam
02-08-2011, 01:13 PM
there's nothing like that first walk down main street. with all the sounds, smells, et....

Hebbynan
02-08-2011, 02:24 PM
The cookie smell on Main Street! Mmmmm

Just-Keep-Swimming
02-08-2011, 03:08 PM
water rides! :) as a swimmer, i call it slightly-chlorinated. it just smells wayyy better than my pool!

main street bakery! :thumbsup: im a sucker for pastries...

pine scent on Soarin'. actually this brings back memories from camping when I was little :)

Flame Tree Barbecue! in my opinion, one of the best quick services in the World!:D

Le Cellier! i would eat here all the time if i could :cloud9:

elmjimmlm
02-08-2011, 03:53 PM
I miss the smell of the pie in Mickeys Philharmagic...
Ghiradelli outside...
POR food court when we walk through in the mornings...:cloud9:

johnO
02-08-2011, 04:22 PM
The smell of the water on rides like; PotC, SplM, IaSW.
Soarin'
Main Street
Dinner at O'Hana

Also,

the smell of the Disney Wonder and Magic

Princess'Mom
02-16-2011, 12:19 AM
My DD8 and I love the smells of Soarin'. Recently we were headed somewhere and DD caught a smell that reminded her of Soarin'. She exclaimed "That smells just like WDW!"

Excuse me, I need to go plan a WDW trip now! Y'all have made me homesick!

ShanPooh
02-16-2011, 12:24 AM
The lime/citrusy cleaner smell at the Contemporary.

johnO
02-16-2011, 02:43 AM
We just got back from WDW last week.

I really got into experiencing the smells on this trip. It was great!

My favorites:
- The water inside the rides like POTC
- The soaps in my hotel room
- The fires of Rome on Spaceship Earth
- Mickey's Phil Harmagic

I miss it.

The smells really bring you back to WDW

finaldynasty
02-18-2011, 08:27 PM
I would wish I was smelling the stink bug in it's tough to be a bug becasue I miss WDW that bad. I also miss the aquarium/water smell at Nemo.

mickeys_princess_mom
02-18-2011, 11:57 PM
The smell of the water on rides like; PotC, SplM, IaSW.
Soarin'
Main Street
Dinner at O'Hana

Also,

the smell of the Disney Wonder and Magic

Well said! :high5: I was trying to come up with the Disney Magic one! Yours plus the perfumes in France at Epcot, cones and cinnamon-rolls-as-big-as-your-head on Main Street,...ah...just enjoying. Have a cold and can't smell anything at all, but in my head this has been a great thread!!!:cloud9:

zebradome17
02-23-2011, 12:30 PM
I don't know what they put in the WDW popcorn but everyone time I walked past one of the carts they just smelt AMAZING! Also I really miss the smell of the airconditioning when you enter a building. I know it sound weird but whenever you go through a door it just sort of hits you and I always remember it :)

DisneyMom12
02-23-2011, 12:32 PM
I am glad you got to stop and "smell" so many things while in WDW.

Same here.

Ratherbe@Disney
02-28-2011, 06:38 PM
I love the smell of the LAND pavillion. As soon as you walk in there I think it smells amazing.

johnO
02-28-2011, 08:25 PM
I love the smell of the LAND pavillion. As soon as you walk in there I think it smells amazing.

The Land always smells like some kind of food item from one of the restaurants.

Gator
02-28-2011, 08:37 PM
I LOVE the smell of POTC, that is something that brings back all the nostalgia of going when I was little. It's funny how smells can do that. One whiff of something will bring back memories long since forgotten!

The smell of POTC at Disneyland is even better. It smells humid in a very arid city (LA).

My favorite smell is when I catch a whif of those maple candied almonds/pecans. Making myself hungy just thinking about it.

johnO
02-28-2011, 08:42 PM
The smell of POTC at Disneyland is even better. It smells humid in a very arid city (LA).

My favorite smell is when I catch a whif of those maple candied almonds/pecans. Making myself hungy just thinking about it.

What about the smell of that cigarette you pulled out of that guys mouth Gator? lol :D

One of the funniest things I've read here.

Park Hopper
03-01-2011, 11:45 AM
All of these are great. One of the best for me is the musty smell of HM. I used to work at Penn State and there was a building there that had a similar smell. I found myself walking through that building whenever I could!

Belle--86
03-01-2011, 01:57 PM
I miss the smells of the humid air of Florida ,the smell of air conditiong when you go inside. The first time you go down Main st and smell cinnomen rolls. All the differant smells from the rides POTC, Soaring any ride with water. and can't forget suntaN lotion and the smells of the MONORAILS.. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEPTEMBER!!!

buzznwoodysmom
03-01-2011, 03:04 PM
I missed the smell of the Beach Club Villas lobby so much that I went and bought a machine with the scent for my home. I even catch my kids standing over it smelling it sometimes.

I'm missing all the WDW smells.....can't wait to smell them all again starting THURSDAY!!!!!!!

Fastpasssteve
03-02-2011, 10:35 PM
I miss the smell of the popcorn vendor just inside the Magic Kingdom gates on the left.

I miss the smokey smell of the Animal Kingdom Lodge...especially passing by Boma! Yum!

I love the smell on Soarin' as we pass over the orange groves!

I love the smell of the funnel cakes by The American Adventure in EPCOT.

I love the smell of the ice cream cones being made in Future World.

I love the smell of the Flametree Barbeque in Animal Kingdom.

I even miss the weird, funky smell of the monorails!

MadMadamMim
03-03-2011, 09:18 AM
As crazy as it sounds everytime I smell a skunk I think of the slot machine portion of Journey Into Your Imaginiation where Figment is a skunk and you get the whiff of that familiar scent. So now when I smell a real skunk I laugh and smile, people think I'm so weird. :mickey:

mickey_M_lvr
03-03-2011, 11:31 AM
I would wish I was smelling the stink bug in it's tough to be a bug becasue I miss WDW that bad.

I was gonna say the that I miss WDW enough to ALMOST miss the smell of sweaty people....But I have decided I am not quite there yet. :rotfl: :whew:

plutosnana
03-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Chlorine from the pool
Grease... definitely grease ;) jk

:goofy:

cardshopgirl
03-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Right now I am missing the smell of Main Street. It just has a smell. Popcorn, Ice cream, Candy, Sticky Buns from the bakery...Everything!

Mousemates
03-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Right now I miss...the mingled smells of pine trees and water as I cross bay lake on my way from the WL to the MK...I could really use a few vacation days.

MarkC
03-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Roasted nuts and turkey legs.

Dopey's Girl
03-03-2011, 09:36 PM
I have to say, this thread is a perfect example of why I love intercot so much. It's the only place I know of where people truly understand the magic of WDW!

I love the humid smell as soon as you land @ MCO. That's just Disney to me. I also love the popcorn smell, and the smell of Casey's from Main Street.

59 days!!!:party:

BraddyB
03-04-2011, 09:01 AM
I cant believe no one listed the wonderful smell you get during Imagination :D

I am missing the smell of the hot tub at the wilderness lodge !!!!! When I smell that it means I am relaxing after a long day at the parks.....ahhhhhh:cloud9:

Checkers
03-04-2011, 09:11 AM
:mickey:I miss/love the scent in the lobby of the Beach Club/Yacht Club. Fortunately Bath & Body Works sells Rain Kissed Leaves which closely mimics it!

Kaps
03-04-2011, 10:23 AM
The smell of breakfast at the food court at POR.
The smell of main St Bakery.
The smell of the food at the Mexico pavillion.

Sorry all mine relate to FOOD!!

Mrs Bus Driver
03-05-2011, 12:47 PM
This is going to sound weird but you know the smell of the ride machinery the oils and grease they use to keep things going. Well every time I get around machines with that smell it takes me back to WDW :mickey:

AndrewJackson
03-05-2011, 10:40 PM
The smell I miss the most is the orange grove smell - not from Soarin', but from Horizons. No doubt, the best smell at Epcot.

The next one is the unique smell of the Meadow Trading Post at Fort Wilderness. The campers out there will know what I mean. There really is nothing else like it.

abillion13
03-06-2011, 12:48 AM
Does anyone remember the smell of the MK blacklight re-entry hand stamps? This was probably in the 1970's. It stuck with me as a kid for it was on your hand when you went to sleep at the resort... Each day was a different Disney character but that unmistakable rubbery smell - it was probably toxic!

Disney_pups2
03-06-2011, 01:35 AM
Thunder Mountain. I catch that smell every now and then just in life abroud and it always brings me right to standing in line at Thunder mountain.

lettripp
03-06-2011, 09:10 AM
- I miss the smell of a humid Florida morning as we make our way to the bus.

- I miss the smell of the tap water (no kidding)

- I miss the smell of the water rides.

- I miss the smell of the bakery in Norway (Mmmmm School Bread)

Can't even begin to explain how much I want to be in "The World" right now...

JerseyDad
03-06-2011, 08:28 PM
...the "dark ages" in Spaceship Earth

...the first sniff of Disney Food when we get to POP and walk through the Main Hall

...the "I just was cleaned" smell of the buses.

PeterPan
03-06-2011, 09:58 PM
I will always and forever miss the smell of the orange groves in HORIZONS, the funnel cakes in America in World Showcase, the beachy smell of River Country.

johnO
03-06-2011, 10:52 PM
I love the humid smell as soon as you land @ MCO. That's just Disney to me.

This is a big one. However, now that I live here in the south, there really isnt a detectable difference between the smell of the humidity in Orlando and here in SC

Disney_pups2
03-08-2011, 04:13 PM
I will always and forever miss the smell of the orange groves in HORIZONS, the funnel cakes in America in World Showcase, the beachy smell of River Country.

I so wish they would have bottled that.. lol.. or put it into another atraction. It will always be a favorite and well remembered classic.

slegrant
03-08-2011, 04:37 PM
I miss the smells of Fort Wilderness. As soon as we check in and are heading to our cabins we roll down the window and take a deep breath......sooo refreshing. We also love the smell of Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon when we are on the boat to the Magic Kingdom. Can't wait for our July 4th trip:mickey:

cardinalsfan_98
03-10-2011, 02:18 PM

I completely agree!!:thumbsup:

dizneydeb22
06-17-2011, 02:48 PM
I miss the smell of Main Street first thing in the morning! I don't feel like I'm in WDW until I walk down Main St USA, which is why we make that our first park every time!! 55 days and I CAN'T WAIT!!! :mickey3:

Fastpasssteve
06-17-2011, 04:07 PM
I love the smell of the popcorn just inside the gates of the Magic Kingdom. It smells so good. Funny--I've never bought any! But it is part of the general mise en scene. Beautiful to the eye, ear, and nose!

flipadeeflop
06-17-2011, 04:23 PM
This reminded me... one section of bushes smelled like parmesan cheese every time we walked by them during our trip in 2006!!!

LovinWDW
06-17-2011, 07:13 PM
The smell of the Beach Club lobby is amazing. Cant wait to take a wiff in 4 weeks!:thumbsup:

mechanic
06-17-2011, 07:29 PM
great topic.
burning rome
turkey legs
potc
mainstreet in general

SusieQ
06-18-2011, 03:11 AM
Grand Floridian, the DTD Christmas Shop but the first smell is MCO as you step off the plane after an 8 hour flight :-)

TikiLounger
06-18-2011, 08:26 AM
PoTC
Burning Rome

The orange and pine scents on Soarin'

The Poly Lobby

The Monorail (yes, it's not really a pleasant smell but, I miss is anyway)

and...the " Florida morning" smell when we're out early, heading to breakfast, the buses, or the monorail .

plutosnana
06-18-2011, 08:53 AM
plastic, from the stores
gas from the buses
and mickey's philharrmagic pie!

:goofy:

LudwigVonDrake
06-18-2011, 11:39 PM
Last week it had just stopped raining and I got out of my car and what I smelled reminded instantly of Big Thunder Mountain. 18 more days before I go back :mickey:

kemps@wdw
06-19-2011, 10:23 PM
The fresh smell of the breeze that "whooshes" into my face as the doors of the Wilderness Lodge glide open to welcome me home! :cloud9:

Scrappy2
06-20-2011, 09:38 AM
Ok. You are making me really want to go book a trip. I have nothing on the books right now :(

brivers222
06-20-2011, 11:10 AM
I miss the smell of the exhaust of the busses... its an instant back to disney transport!

ValenciaCalling
06-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Leave it to Disney to make us sentimental about bus exhaust...lol

The Poly Lobby...that's a great one!

The smell of the carpet in the monorail

Any kind of fountain, pool, or water ride.

Mexico!

The Confectionary on Main Street. It always makes me crave the marshmellows on the Mickey Straws.

Why do I feel like I'm forgetting a ton? lol

Pollymanna
06-21-2011, 12:28 PM
WDW is a totally immersive and sensory experience and thats what sets it apart from other theme parks. If you want the next lay down/sit down/stand up roller coaster, then WDW is not for you. If WDW seeks to compete with Universal or Six Flags by pandering to teen thrill ride seekers, it's going to lose what makes it such a special and magical (excuse the cliché) place and why people return with their families year after year. I always felt that WDW was a place to be inspired, to fantasize, to escape reality, to be educated and fascinated. To be in awe of the progress of humanity and the promise of a better world. For anyone who has not read the Disneyland dedication plaque or heard Walt recite it himself--you should because no one could have said it better than Walt himself. And that's what's really missing from WDW today--the spirit of Walt.

syndrome
06-21-2011, 01:55 PM
My DS and I head down in one month and I cannot wait.....what a great thread this is to get me in the Disney mode again!
--popcorn by WDW RR
--churros!!!
--acid section of Test Track
--smell of central FL after one of those late afternoon storms