PDA

View Full Version : The Magic Of 1/26 - 1/31

magicman
02-07-2011, 12:53 PM
INTRODUCTION/BACKGROUND
I. We are a family of 6 (2 adults & 4 kids aged 15,14, 11, & 3).
II. We had two rooms at the Pop from 1/26 - 1/31.
III.We had 5 terrific nights and 6 great days.
IV. The stay was so filled with fun & magic that I'm going to have to only hit the high points in my report or folks won't read it due to lengthiness.

- We used Magical Journeys to book our trip (which was a surprise present for my kid's family Christmas present). Wendy from MJ did a fabulous job taking caring of us (both during the booking process as well as after). Thanks, Wendy!:thumbsup:

- The flight from Ohio to Florida went smoothly. We waited 15 minutes for our Magical Express bus to pullout from the airport; however, I would have been waiting that long to pick up my checked bags if I wasn't using Magical Express.

- We had checked in online prior to arriving at the Pop & the check-in time once we arrived was outstanding compared to past visits (4 minutes). I definitely recommend the on-line check-in.

Day 1 (arrival date): Magic Kingdom
Wed 1/26 (afternoon)
- We walked in at 2:50pm & the parade was about to start. It was a FANTASTIC start to our trip as my 3 year old (and the rest of us) loved the parade. The crowds were light & we were able to stand near the curb & get high-fives from the characters...greatness!!!
- After the parade, we headed for Fantasyland. We grabbed a FastPass for Peter Pan (which had a 30 minute queue), then rode Pooh, Dumbo, & PhilHarmagic while waiting for the Fastpass to become eligible. After Peter Pan, we ate a Crystal Palace (very good character interaction & decent food). After that we rode Aladdin's Carpets, Pirates, & Haunted Mansion (which in retrospect I realize was a bit scary for a 3 year old). Holding my 3 year while watching Wishes topped off the day perfectly. (There's nothing like the 1st day magic.):cloud9:

Day 2: EPCOT & DHS
- I took my older kids to EPCOT at park opening & we headed straight for Soarin' as the rope dropped (along with EVERYONE else). We grabbed Fastpasses, then jumped on the ride. There was a 20 minute wait for Soarin' the first hour after park opening, but after the 1st hour the wait was 50 minutes. We also rode Test Track & Mission Space (which is getting more difficult to handle as I get older). After that, we met up with my wife & 3 year old & did Spaceship Earth, Turtle Talk, Nemo, & Figment. Also, we spent time tasting the free cola samples at Club Cool. (That is always such a great time.) We had a late lunch at Teppan Edo which was delicious, then went out the backdoor of Epcot & wandered over to the Beach Club for dessert at Spoodles. Of course, we had the "Kitchen Sink" at Beaches & Cream. After that, we took the boat over to DHS & went to Beauty & The Beast (which we love), then The Voyage of the Little Mermaid prior to fighting a very large crowd to get into Fantasmic. They did have 2 shows that day, but I believe only offering Fantasmic twice a week is crazy.

Day 3: EPCOT & MK
After riding all of the same "big" rides with my older gets an the open, we went to Innoventions. We had so much fun "making our own video game", being on the velcro game show, and creating a rollercoaster then riding it. In my opinion, getting to Epcot early & riding the rides to get it out of your kids system, then spending time in Innoventions is one of the best ways to make each trip different & memorable. A highlight of the day was eatting lunch at Akershus. The princess interaction is second-to-none. All of my kids (even my 15 year old son), loved it.
Before heading out of Epcot, we went souvenir shopping. The CM at the 'around the world' souvenir shop asked my 14 year old daughter if she'd like to work at Disney. Of course, she said yes, so he let her come around the counter to ring us up. (more magic)
We then headed out to MK via monorail. MK was more crowded on this evening (Fri) so we turned my older kids loose & let my little one play in ToonTown & ride her first coaster (Barnstormer). I am glad that they're upgrading Fantasyland; however, I'll miss Mickey & Minnie's houses. We then headed over to Pooh & my 3 year old played in the Pooh queue for quite a while (she introduced herself as Mrs. Pooh to all of the other children playing).:mickey:

Day 4 - DHS
We got to the park with the whole family prior to opening. We headed straight for Toy Story Mania (with everyone else), got our fastpass then jumped on the ride (20 minute wait). We were able to ride all of the rides at DHS & see all of the shows, AND ride TSM 3 times by getting to the park at opening & utilizing the Fastpass for TSM every time possible. We ate at 50s Prime Time & had loads of fun with the waitress. Also of note was the American Idol Experience where we cheered ourselves hoarse. We love DHS!

Day 5 - Animal Kingdom AM & Magic Kingdom PM
Animal Kingdom was not crowded & we were able to knock out all rides, a Bugs Life, & the Lion King show by 2pm. Based on advice of Intercotees, we ate at Flame Tree Bar-b-que which was THE best counter service in WDW. I think AK needs a couple more e-tickets as we view it as a 1/2 day park. By 2:30pm we were back at the Magic Kingdom, and we finished the night by boating to the Poly where we watched Wishes from the beach & ate at O'Hanas.

Day 6 - MK re-riding our favorites. At 3pm we ended our trip the same as we started...watching the 3:00pm parade. Also, we got to see the Chilean Miner pre-parade which was really touching & neat.

My final thoughts/tips for an end of January visit:
1) Get to the parks at opening & you can knock out the "big rides" within the first 1 1/2 hours.
2) The Brazilian tour groups dwindled by the end of Jan
3) In January, the best use of fastpass is: Peter Pan, Soarin, Toy Story Mania, & Expedition Everest.
4) Ride the big rides first at Epcot then chillax at Innoventions & the World Showcase (focus on enjoying the experience).
5) Temps ranged from 47 to 75 with no rain which was about perfect
6) Allow pre-schoolers time to play on the play equipment at the parks. There is play equipment at all parks except Epcot. My 3-year old loved it.
7) Make a point of engaging those Cast Members who reach out to you. They can provide unexpected magic!
8) Do utilize on-line check-in for a quicker check-in

I'm sorry this was such a long post. I left out so many wonderful details in an effort to shorten it, but we had such a great time that it's tough to make it short! I can't wait to get back!!!

faline
02-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Very nice report about your magical trip! Your tips are terrific and will be most helpful to many!

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-07-2011, 03:41 PM
wonderful report thanks

Tigerinvestigator
02-09-2011, 12:27 AM
Great report, glad you had a good trip. I agree Innoventions is a great place to make memories. Each trip we find ourselves spending more time there playing with our kids. Its especially good when its raining.:thumbsup:

vizsla
02-09-2011, 05:07 AM
Thanks for the report.

MizMissy
02-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Sounds like a wonderful trip!!
And, never apologize for long trip reports, we love details around here.

Suz36
02-11-2011, 10:47 PM
I agree with MizMissy - the more details, the better! Glad to hear you had such a wonderful trip. We were there from 1/28-2/5. We paid our first ever visit to Innoventions, and really had a great time! Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

KylesMom
02-16-2011, 09:00 AM
The stay was so filled with fun & magic that I'm going to have to only hit the high points in my report or folks won't read it due to lengthiness. What a great intro to your report!

Wonderful way to begin your trip - the parade and character interaction sound just too cool. I'm so happy to hear that the crowds were manageable and that everyone in your family enjoyed themselves so much. Great tips, too! Couldn't agree more, especially about getting to the parks at opening to knock out the "big ones".

Thanks for sharing your magical memories with us - it makes me that much more eager to get back to our favorite place! :mickey:

pdrlkr
02-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

January-2007
02-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks for reporting!

yjgirl32
02-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Great report.