PDA

View Full Version : Teppan Edo ?

šošalyssaluvsmickeyšoš
02-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Are all the tables here around a grill or do you have to request to sit there?

garymacd
02-06-2011, 01:50 PM
You sit around the grill with your very own chef. Lots of fun, and great food, too. I believe the tables seat eight people.

akaDisneyDreamer
02-06-2011, 05:51 PM
I was wondering, since the tables seat 8, and we are a family of 3 ... would they seat other people at our table with us?

Disney4us2
02-06-2011, 05:57 PM
I was wondering, since the tables seat 8, and we are a family of 3 ... would they seat other people at our table with us?

Yes, they will. On our last trip we were a party of 2, and they seated a family of 6 with us. The time before that we were a party of 6 and they seated a newlywed couple with us.

Briansmom
02-06-2011, 06:45 PM
How about the food? Is it 'kid' friendly? Or is something like that available (aka chicken tenders...lol).
And this will sound like a strange question, but is there any background music? Our DS12 has autism and some music can set off a meltdown so just need to be prepared. TIA.

musicteacher
02-06-2011, 10:13 PM
We were there just last weekend. I don't remember any music.

Hope this helps! We love it there!

Betsy

disney_daddy
02-07-2011, 10:33 AM
They serve chicken, steak or shrimp, I do not think there is any music, but it is very entertaining, we take grand daughter and she was 5 and 6 each year we went. FYI it can get alittle loud though.

Mickey'sGirl
02-07-2011, 10:46 AM
How about the food? Is it 'kid' friendly? Or is something like that available (aka chicken tenders...lol).
And this will sound like a strange question, but is there any background music? Our DS12 has autism and some music can set off a meltdown so just need to be prepared. TIA.
The problem for our youngest at Teppan Edo has always been with the heat coming off the table. We are very strategic in how we seat him (on a corner as far from the heat as possible). I have not noticed any out of the ordinary music. Also, the food is all rice and cooked on the table in front of you type meats. I have never seen anything like Chicken Fingers and fries.

GreenBeetle
02-08-2011, 01:21 PM

As previous poster mentioned, it does get loud in there since rooms tend to be quite full and more than one cook is working at the same time. Can be cramped quarters at times. Depending on your son, it may all be a bit overwhelming...but you know him best. :)

BandMan
02-08-2011, 01:31 PM
We have two boys with autism. The younger (age 13) has problems with loud noises and fire/heat. Two trips ago, we had to put out the candle at our table in San Angel. The waiter tried to relight it and we had to stop him. Then we had a hard time seeing the menus without the light. Poor guy - he didn't know what to do with us.

I only bring this up because the heat might be just as overwhelming as the noise, depending on how your little guy handles these issues.

Jared
02-08-2011, 01:50 PM
The problem for our youngest at Teppan Edo has always been with the heat coming off the table. We are very strategic in how we seat him (on a corner as far from the heat as possible).
This would be my concern with a special-needs child at Teppan Edo. The chefs play with fire to excite the audience, but I imagine it could upset some autistic children.

I have not seen chicken tenders at Teppan Edo, but you can order plain grilled meat and rice without any sauces.

garymacd
02-09-2011, 11:58 AM
We have two boys with autism. The younger (age 13) has problems with loud noises and fire/heat. Two trips ago, we had to put out the candle at our table in San Angel. The waiter tried to relight it and we had to stop him. Then we had a hard time seeing the menus without the light. Poor guy - he didn't know what to do with us.

I only bring this up because the heat might be just as overwhelming as the noise, depending on how your little guy handles these issues.

I was just going to say that the atmosphere is fairly noisy, so anyone affected by overwhelming noise should consider ear protection. I didn't even think of the heat.

FriendsofMickey
02-09-2011, 12:45 PM
To get an idea of the noise level you could try to do a search on youtube for Teppan Edo.

LadyBear
04-06-2011, 03:20 PM
not sure if you have gone yet or not, but just so you know. You can call ahead or go online and they can tell you the menu at any of the restaurants. If they do not have something your child will/can eat, as long as it is 24 or 48hr in advance they will bring something in special just for them. All of Disney chefs are extremely helpful!
We had 1 w/ severe aspergers, anxiety disorder and food allergies, and 1 adhd and aspergers.
You can also request when you sign in for special seating to help your situation. They really will bend over backwards for the most part to make your experience a good one.

TheRustyScupper
04-06-2011, 05:17 PM
1) The tables hold eight people.
. . . they try to fill all the seats
. . . different families WILL sit together
2) The can prepare the food kid-friendly.
3) There is Japanese background music, not too loud.
4) The ambient (taking, laughing) noise in the room can be loud.
5) The grilling can be unfriendly to the autistic.
. . . heat flashes easily felt by diners
. . . 2-3 foot high flames from the cooking
. . . fast moving shinny knives being flailed about
. . . loud clicking of knives and spatulas
. . . people shouting and clapping at chef stunts

faline
04-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Also, the last time we went to Teppan Edo, we had a long wait to be seated. We found the waiting area to be VERY busy and quite loud by itself. If you end up having such a wait with a child with autism, the wait itself could be a bit of a problem. I'd try to book at a time that it outside the most crowded dining times.

chrim
04-10-2011, 03:02 AM
I must say that since the renovation, this restaurant has become very crowded and noisy (both in the waiting area and in the dining room).

There is a child's menu. In addition to teppan entrees, they also have tempura items like Kid's Tempura Chicken, which is basically a chicken finger/tender served with white rice and a fruit cup.

WDWCrazyKaren
04-11-2011, 02:08 PM
I will echo the others here. DH and I were there a few months ago. The waiting area was loud and crowded, and we thought the dining area was louder than it has ever been in the past. We actually stopped talking to each other because we had to yell, and we never actually heard anything our server said, we just nodded a lot. The food was awesome though! And very kid friendly food items. Yes, hot grille that burned the hostess' rubber band and they had to clean it off, and there was fire, again, all in good fun, but you are probably the best judge of your child on those fronts.

Good luck, whichever way it goes for you!