PDA

View Full Version : Escape From The Cold - Day 3 - Islands of Adventure

LizzieLaw
02-03-2011, 07:11 PM
I'm not sure how much detail to go into as thisnis a Disney forum so I'll just do a quick run through of the highlights. If anyone has any questions, I'll be pleased to answer.

Because we wanted to get to Harry Potter early, the troops all worked together to get lunches and snacks together in the morning. We got to IOA by 8:45 and were in WWOHP shortly after 9:00.

No one was interested in wands sob we by-passed Ollivanders (about 20 people in lune by that point) and went straight to FJ. Our first ride was a walk on, the second, immediately after, about a ten minute wait. The ride was really good but not, IMHO, as good as Spiderman.

We then rode Dragon Challenge (walk on) and wandered through Hogsmeade for a while. We sampled the butterbeer (sorry, not a fan of this stuff) and bought chocolate frogs and every flavoured beans. Village is beautifully done but I would stay away during peak times. The shops and walkways are very small and difficult to navigate even when the park is relatively empty. Unless you absolutely can't travel off season, like any other park, it's just not worth the crowds.

We left that part of the park by 10:30. I can't comment on the crowd levels in WWOHP the rest of the day since we did not go back. We spent the rest of the day touring the rest of the park. Everything was a walk on except for Spiderman (15 min) and Jurassic Park (15 min).

We were ready to leave by 5:00 pm and headed home for dinner and, hot tubbing and swimming.

We saw 2 or 3 smallish touring groups. They were neither rude nor aggressive. I can honestly say I've never had a bad experience with them. The all seem friendly and as well- mannered as we can expect ant teens to be ;).

Best: spiderman, hogsmeade

Worst: Hulk broke down right before we got on...we left and came back a couple hours later.

Next up:

After that we

faline
02-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Glad you had fun at Universal! We haven't been there since Harry Potter arrived but have been reading everyone else's experiences!

Dirty Bird Street
02-03-2011, 08:33 PM
I didn't read the Harry Potter books, and only saw one film, but I thought Universal did a very good job with the theming of that section of the park. (Full disclosure: I was only there because somebody got me a day pass as a gift.) Of the rides in the Wizarding World, I only went on the Forbidden Journey. I thought it was pretty well done, although the more sim-based stuff was far more stomach-knotting than actually getting tossed around, and even with my (knock on wood) 20/20 eyesight, a lot of the sim parts seemed... difficult to focus on? Minor flaws, though.

(As an additional aside: I'm generally not a fan of Universal's version of attraction storytelling, but I was genuinely impressed with what they did with Disaster! at the Studios gate. With just a little creativity in their show writing, they were able to cobble together parts of previously stale attractions and turn them into a genuinely fun experience.)

hauntedmansiongirl
02-04-2011, 02:38 AM
We're heading to IoA in 10 days and just wondered whether you get soaked on Jurassic Park or any of the other water based rides? I'm sure that it won't be hot enough yet to be soaked all day long! :mickey:

pdrlkr
02-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

vizsla
02-14-2011, 05:12 AM
Thanks for the report.

KylesMom
02-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Quite honestly, this is one place that my family and I have never visited, and I am more than a little apprehensive that lines will be prohibitive on our next trip as well. Thanks for the insight & sharing your experiences at Universal with us! :mickey: