PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me about The Dolphin

Tink33333
02-02-2011, 09:33 AM
I am trying to find a resort near Epcot (our favorite park) and I am considering The Dolphin. Since I have never even visited this resort, any and all thoughts, experiences or recommendations would be appreciated!:mickey:

SBETigg
02-02-2011, 10:38 AM
I stayed at the Dolphin last summer for a conference. I've mostly stayed monorail deluxe, so I didn't know what to expect over on that side. I was very pleasantly surprised, had a great stay, loved the location. I have stayed at a Disney moderate (POR, once) and for the price, I would easily choose Dolphin or Swan over Disney moderates.

Transportation was a breeze. No major waits or problems with buses- we shared with other resorts (sometimes Yacht Club, Beach Club, or Boardwalk) but always seemed to be first pick-up. Wonderful walk or boat ride to Studios or Epcot, plus lots to do in the area with shops, restaurants. The Dolphin itself is whimsical and bright, comfortable beds, spacious rooms, some with a good view (I had Tower of Terror right out my window). The staff was helpful and friendly. Picabu, their quick service, was decent and they have great refillable cups. Good restaurants in the Dolphin, if you choose to stay in (Shula, Blue Zoo, Fresh). The one downside (which didn't affect me because I was with a conference group) would be the conference crowds that might slightly mess with your vacation vibe. But I had absolutely no complaints and loved my stay, felt the magic of being at Disney even though it was not a Disney hotel. You can even participate in EMH (but not DME).

MOJoe
02-02-2011, 11:31 AM
There is a lot to love about the Dolphin. First, the location is prime, as you are within walking distance to both Epcot and The Studios. You also have numerous restaurants, both table and counter service available, just a short stroll away. The Boardwalk has evening entertainment, and if you are a sports fan, the ESPN Club is nearby for you to catch part of the "big game".

I also am a fan of the pool complex here. There are lap pools, a hot tub, beach, and a grotto pool with a waterfall to be enjoyed. The service at the pool bar is somewhat spotty. But that is my only complaint.

The Dolphin is a deluxe convention hotel. And it looks and feels like one. So if you can overlook the lack of a Disney theme, this hotel offers some of the best ammenities in WDW.

BugeyedMuggy
02-02-2011, 11:31 AM
For a deluxe resort and the price (we usually get it for about $155/nite) it is well worth it. You can walk to Epcot & Studios instead of waiting for busses. The Boardwalk is right there too for nite life with no difficulty getting back to your resort. If Disney has a really good discount we would stay there above the Dolphin but we like to go at least 3 times a year now and look for the best deals. During the F&WF this is the perfect resort. If a discount doesn't come out early July we will be staying there also. The restaurants available at all the parks & resorts within walking distance is abundent. The only drawback we have found is if there is a conference during your stay. They close down some of the amentities to accomidate the large group.

Tink33333
02-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Which ammenties may be shut down due to a convention?

SBETigg
02-02-2011, 02:47 PM

I don't know. We had a huge group, and we were pretty much just jamming up the conference areas, which are connected to but separate from most of the more occupied areas of the hotel. All the restaurants and pools remained open to regular guests. The bars were perhaps a lot busier and harder to get to for regular patrons, but not impossible and not closed to regular guests. I think the impact might have come from sharing elevators and the lobby area being filled with an unusually high amount of guests at any given time. But other than that, we didn't shut down any of the resort's amenities. Not sure about other conferences.

EllieMae
02-02-2011, 05:29 PM
We stayed there last year with the teacher discount and it was wonderful!! My parents are DVC owners and we typically stay at the Beach Club Villas so my DH and I knew we wanted to stay in the EPCOT area. The hotel was great and I would definitely stay there again over a moderate (which I like but you can't hardly beat the convenience of the Dolphin). The only thing that I did miss was being on the dining plan but if you know that going and and budget for great meals its not a problem.

anneb
02-02-2011, 08:23 PM
I just booked another return trip to the Dolphin a few days ago - I've stayed there many, many times over the years. The Dolphin is my favorite hotel at WDW. The location is fantastic, and you can usually get it at a fraction of the cost of other deluxe resorts at Disney. The pool area is the best at Disney (at least for adults) - huge, pretty, tropically-landscaped, and big enough (and deep enough in places) for adults to actually have room to swim. (Other hotel pools at Disney are usually packed with kids.) The big, white sand beach has beautiful views across the lake and palm trees to Spaceship Earth in the distance. The views from many rooms are fantastic. (It's worth booking one with a nice view, if your budget can do that). It tends to have fewer children than other hotels at Disney, which makes it generally quieter and less hectic. The fellow playing the grand piano in the lobby at night, the hammocks strung betwee the palm trees, and the in-house ice cream parlor are some of my favorite things about the hotel.
The downsides - there's no Disney theming, and the renovations in recent years replaced the original whimsical decor with a more standard modern decor. But the impressive architecture, lovely grounds, and great views remain.

NH Disneyfan
02-02-2011, 08:42 PM
The dolphin is a much larger, much more corporate hotel from the Disney branded hotels. For instance, I think there are about 15 floors in the dolphin, with only 4 or 5 on the yacht club, beach club, boardwalk. Considering it is not run by Disney, this should all be expected.

The pool is fantastic, the buses and boats to the theme parks are Disney's, and the walking distance to attractions is very convenient.

As other posters have said, you can certainly get a great deal at Dolphin. Just be ready for the size of the resort and the additional walking that comes along.

anneb
02-02-2011, 08:52 PM
On the convention point - in more stays at the Dolphin than I can count (more than 20, at least) I have only seen an amenity closed because of a convention once - when one of the smaller pool areas was roped off in the late afternoon for a cocktail party. With a very large convention, you may occasionally encounter a big group of business types in the lobby, but that's happened to me only once or twice in 20 years or so and doesn't last long before they head off to their own area.

mickeys_princess_mom
02-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Heavenly Beds!!! Seriously! Luxury feel for reasonable price. Nice view of fireworks at night. Loooove the beaches and lying beHIND a waterfall looking out... Can't wait to go back in four months! :wave:

Mousefever
02-03-2011, 12:10 AM

We attended the Coors Beer Distributors convention at the Dolphin in 2005. One night the entire pool area was closed off for a party.

I enjoyed staying at the Dolphin, especially because of the location. The Disney desk located in the Dolphin is only open during business hours, so if you need tickets, be sure to plan ahead. (Being unaware of the hours, I had to hoof it to the Boardwalk Inn to get tickets for EMH the next morning.)

Amy

tmz814
02-03-2011, 12:30 AM
I love the Dolphin. I always stay there and am going again in a few weeks.

You can't beat the location and the price (especially with the teacher discount). The size doesn't bother me and I have never had any problems with conventions going on during my stay.

I would definitely recommend staying at the Dolphin. :mickey:

BugeyedMuggy
02-03-2011, 09:44 AM

The pool bar and area and all around was shut down from late afternoon thru the evening. The entire lobby was full most of the day and nite. The lobby lounge and food court were full. It seems that the convention attendies never left the hotel so it is always packed with attendies as I'm sure they don't want to just sit in their rooms. Felt like a value resort atmosphere with all the noise.
The "heavenly beds" are amazing. We actually bought one thru Westin for our home.

Tigerinvestigator
02-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Going back to the Dolphin in March. For the price it is the best resort at WDW for my family. My wife is a nurse and we get a great discount. We can stay there for the price of a moderate and like others have already said it blows the moderates away in terms of convenience, view, and luxury. In all of our stays there we have never seen anything closed for conventions. The only times we have noticed the conventions is when they have their formal evenings and alot of them are hanging around the bar and lobby. Never been the slightest problem at all.:thumbsup:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-04-2011, 10:39 PM
I too am a fan of this hotel. Never really had a problem but the conventioneers can get kind of messy and it's a lot for the hotel to clean up after them. The beds are to die for. This is the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in! And you can't beat the location for the price. I've been in the pool at night and you can hear the music from Fantasmic and see some of the fireworks from Epcot. Stay there, you won't regret it.

Jillirose
02-05-2011, 11:14 AM
I am so excited to hear all the reviews! We are leaving in 8 days for our first stay at the Dolphin and can't wait!! We are giving it a try mainly for the $169 teacher rate for President's week :thumbsup:

dumbo ears
02-05-2011, 06:58 PM
ive stayed at the dolphin i think 4 times and really love the resort. I personally think its one of the best resorts on property. the location of being right smack in between epcot and DHS is excellent for transportion. and the boardwalk is one of my favorite places to go other than the parks. as for food the shulas is a great steakhouse and theres and excellent rest. downstairs with a phenominal breakfast buffet. the rooms are nice with probably the best beds on property. though the rooms are a little outdated but still nice. overall i love the resort and will miss it when i go back in march. i def recomend staying there :number1:

mickeefan
02-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Do they have anything that would be similar to the BCV and BWV 1 bedrooms?