PDA

View Full Version : Red Card

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-01-2011, 01:12 PM
We were mentioning to a friend that my mom will have to use a scooter on our next trip to Disney due to surgery on her foot. She said she just went with some friends and one of them who is disabled got a Red Card and it made things much easier.

So, what is a red card? How does it help? Where/How do you get one?

BandMan
02-01-2011, 01:26 PM
I'm assuming this "Red Card" was a GAC (Guest Assistance Card). It allows those with certain special needs to do certain things, according to their circumstances. (There are several different kinds of GAC's.) My boys, who are autistic, have received a red GAC because they have meltdowns waiting in long lines.

Others may be better able to answer this, but I don't believe needing a scooter is necessarily grounds to receive a GAC. If mom can wait in the lines in her scooter, then I believe she would be treated much as anyone with a wheelchair. She should be able to go into wheelchair accesses on most locations.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Yes, she will be on a scooter, no choice there she will not be able to do all the walking or standing in lines but as long as she's off the leg she'll be fine...okay thanks, just didn't know what it was....

Hammer
02-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Others may be better able to answer this, but I don't believe needing a scooter is necessarily grounds to receive a GAC. If mom can wait in the lines in her scooter, then I believe she would be treated much as anyone with a wheelchair. She should be able to go into wheelchair accesses on most locations.

For some rides the CM wants to see your GAC if you are in a wheelchair for rides where you can't go into regular lines. When I have traveled with my Mom (who uses a wheelchair) we have been asked for the GAC once or twice, but usually are not asked.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Okay, that may be what she meant. Where would she get one? Does she need to bring something from her doctor?

ElenitaB
02-02-2011, 07:44 PM
I've never been asked for a GAC and I use an ECV. That said, you would obtain it at Guest Services at any of the parks. She could bring a doctor's note but it is against HIPAA laws for Disney to ask for it. I tend to travel with one anyway in case I ever have issues with the ECV at TSA.