PDA

View Full Version : Mayhem in the French Quarter-Chapter 3

WDWCrazyKaren
02-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Mickey has left the building! He really wanted to finish writing all his surveillance info for D.D., but Mickey got promoted to “Head Cheese” at the World, and since DH and I didn’t actually do anything wrong or at least worth arresting them over, he gave up.
(Actually, I really just wanted to finish the trip report and had no new ideas for Mickey. My brain hurts!)

So, on with “Mayhem in the French Quarter”, now written just as a trip report!

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

After going to bed very early on our first night, DH and I were ready to go when Mickey and Stitch called us at 5:30AM and told us to get moving. We had a 7:00AM ADR at Chef Mickey’s this morning. DH has now been there twice before, and knows exactly what to expect, so being the seasoned traveler to WDW that he now is, he kicks me under the covers and tells me to get my butt into the shower! I squeeze my toes between the wall and the new queen size bed (love it! Not complaining!) and hop into the shower, with the lovely new shower head and within 35 minutes, DH and I are ready to go. We are grabbing a cab today, so we hop into the lobby and the lovely CM calls a taxi for us. Well, cabs are sitting the parking lot, seemingly waiting just for us, and we are deposited at the Contemporary by 6:35AM. You know, I know a lot of folks don’t really care for the look of the Contemporary, but I would really like to stay here some day. I like it. We make our way to the 4th floor and window shop for a while. I haven’t gotten bitten by the “Vinylmation” bug, but they are kind of cute. There are probably about 100 or so people milling around the area, waiting for 7:00AM. Taking photos, just chillin’ and relaxin’. Well, about 6:55AM, I whisper to DH “Let’s go get in line-and watch what happens”. So, we walked up to the podium area of Chef Mickey’s and within 20 seconds, every person in the lobby gets in line behind us. It was kind of funny. We felt like the Pied Piper. If only I’d have had my flute with me (yes, I have a flute-12 years of playing it in school, and I’m not certain I could even eke out a scale right now). We are the first ones checked in, and since we didn’t want ANOTHER picture of us and a plate, the first ones seated. Our server was very accommodating, and we are seated right by the door where the characters emerge. Our neighbors to the side of us noticed DH Minnesota Twins jersey that he had donned this morning, so both DH’s had a nice baseball chat, as we traded off photo taking for each other and just enjoyed a nice breakfast. Their two boys, age maybe 8 and 10, were SO well behaved. We watched princess after princess have great meltdowns during this overstimulating meal, but their boys were just so good. It was very pleasant. After breakfast, we made our way to the monorail, and took a trip around the loop. We exited at MK at about 8:45AM. Not many folks waiting this morning, maybe about 200 or so. The Mayor of Main Street welcomed us, and in we wandered. We went straight over to Fantasyland to get that part taken care of. We took in (in order) Winnie the Pooh (great, but confusing, new entrance), Peter Pan, Snow White, IASW. No wait at any of these. They were all walk on rides. We got a wait time pass from one CM at Peter Pan, but we just walked straight through, so I don’t know how much good it did. Went and grabbed Fast Passes for Space Mountain, then rode the People Mover, were the only two people in a private showing of COP (There’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow-hummed that ALL day long-much to DH dismay), walked straight onto Buzz, fast passes were up (only 20 minutes later) and we walked right on to SM. Realized we didn’t need the fast passes actually. There was no one on the ride. We had a good time, but darn it if I can’t keep my glasses on my face during that ride. I spent most of the ride just trying to hold onto them, and next time I know just to tuck them in my purse. I don’t need to see anything anyway. It’s dark. Grabbed FP for BTMRR, and wandered over to Haunted Mansion, line took us about 4 minutes (longest of the day so far!) and enjoyed it greatly. Strolled on in to the Hall of Presidents, but it was about 15 minutes to the next show, so we enjoyed The Country Bears, after having a lovely conversation with a CM from Minnesota who was there on the College Intern program. She was going home in just 3 days and was so sad that it was time to go home. She goes to college at St. Thomas, which is about ½ mile from my office. Told her to stop in and visit some time! She was adorable. Went back to HOP and rested and watched. It’s still boring, but that’s OK. Back to BTMRR, where we waited (I looked at my clock) 5 minutes to get on the ride with FP. The stand by line was 65 minutes. WHY DON’T MORE PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THIS? Walked right on Pirates after that. Got in the left line instead of the right. We walked right into a boat, while the right hand line was snaked around for a while. People, GO LEFT! Enjoyed sacking the Spanish Main-where we did ask folks to STOP using flash photography on the ride. Some did stop, some didn’t, which then prompted the ones who actually HAD stopped, to start up again. Sigh. I tried. I failed. We grabbed some fast passes for Jungle Cruise. Sat down and truly enjoyed sharing a Dole Whip (orange-pineapple swirl this time) with DH. We walked in to the Tiki Room, which DH had never seen. Don’t think he cares if we ever see it again, but we had to go at least once. Back over to Jungle Cruise, waited less than 3 minutes to get in the boat. Stand by line-45 minutes. We just shake our heads. We never once waited for any ride, but yet were riding or attending attractions at all times. We are SO smart! But now it’s time to eat!

Decided to head over to Downtown Disney for some Earl. We love Earl. Took the bus back to FQ, changed and cleaned up, and headed via boat to DTD. The ride was lovely, and we enjoy that about Port Orleans. We just love that ride. Once we pull into the Marketplace area however, a horrific Miley Cyrus song comes on (every time-must be a GPS radio thing) and that song is just awful! One boy, about 10 years old or so, LOVED that song and had a great time singing it at the top of his lungs on the boat. So at least he amused us. Walked in to Earl, had us some fantastic grub (DH swears those meatball subs are the BEST sandwich ever!). We wandered around downtown for a while and just enjoyed the warm (warmer than MN anyway) weather. Took the boat back to the resort, stopped at the gift shop and grabbed a few beers for DH and went back to the room. Went to bed early as DH has a 7:54 tee time tomorrow morning at Magnolia. We are very much enjoying our slow pace, no kids, routine. We’re quite happy. I have slight fever still, and am coughing a lot, but the Sudafed and Advil are actually doing a pretty good job. Had to wear flip flops today, which I don’t like doing at WDW, and the blisters were forming, but I could NOT wear tennis shoes! We're happy. That's all that matters right now. Plus, we really love our room and this resort!

faline
02-01-2011, 03:05 PM
I see you went to the Tiki room so you must have been there before the fire?

Great Magic Kingdom day! Seems like you had great timing for everything and used fast passes wisely! Gosh, I hate sharing the ride with those folks who have the flash cameras zapping every couple of seconds - really ruins the show! I wish the cast members would start enforcing the "no flash pictures" rule!

KylesMom
02-03-2011, 04:49 PM
I can only imagine how cool that Queen-sized bed had to be at a mod - I like the way they're upgrading the rooms! Nice to be able to get a good nights' sleep without DH kicking you outta bed in the middle of the night, huh? :D

Great time at Chef Mickey's. While our service here can sometimes be spotty, it's a place we'll continue to visit for the good times. I gotta ask - did you miss the kids at all during this excursion?!

What an incredible day at MK with all the walk-ons- very nice! What is it with our guys that they don't like us singing the Great Big Beautiful tomorrow over and over? :mickey:

Back to BTMRR, where we waited (I looked at my clock) 5 minutes to get on the ride with FP. The stand by line was 65 minutes. WHY DON’T MORE PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THIS? We ask ourselves that each and every vacation . . .

I gotta tell ya, we've yet to try Earl. One of these days!

I sure hope that good weather & low crowds continue to smile on you two - and that the blisters don't get any worse. :(

Thanks for a great report, Karen! :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the report

vizsla
02-10-2011, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the report.

pdrlkr
02-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

Nascfan
02-15-2011, 02:10 PM