PDA

View Full Version : Escape from the Cold -Jan 30 - Day 1

LizzieLaw
01-31-2011, 10:57 PM
The day of our longed for holiday finally arrived. We woke up at 6:30 to feed our animals (horses, dog and cats) and finish some last minute packing. By 9:00 am DH, DD, DS and I piled into the car to pick up my mom and her friend. We live in the country just north of Winnipeg, Canada while my mom lives in the city.

After stopping for coffee and gas, we made it to my mom's for our 10:00 am departure from the city with minutes to spare. It was -43 with the windchill that morning.

We had a 5:00 pm flight out of Grand Forks and wanted to leave ourselves plenty of time to get there. We have been flying out of the US instead of home for several years now due to the amazing savings (almost $2000 for our family of four). My MIL & FIL had flown out the day before. We would be collecting them from their hotel on Monday morning

After a fairly uneventful trip we made it to GFK just shy of 2:00 pm. We settled down to wait. Not long after, we found out that ou flight would be delayed at least an hour. There would be no way to make our connecting flight at MSP. Fortunately, we were able to get on an earlier flight (which was delayed itself be 3 hours!!).

We made our connecting flight but, unfortunately, our luggage did not. We arrived at MCO at 11:30 pm only to discover DH, mom and friend's bags were still at MSP. Oh well. The kids & I had all our stuff packed in our carry-ons (we pack light).

While DH saw to getting our rental car (12 passenger van), i made arrangements to have our luggage delivered to the house the next evening.

After a quick trip to Walmart for some essentials and groceries, we finally pulled into our rental driveway at 2:00 am By 2:30 we were pretty much unconscious. Alas, I did not make my report at day's end as planned and will likely be behind the rest of the trip. C'est la vie!!!

Day 2 - EPCOT!!!!!! - coming soon

Bethis26fan
02-01-2011, 07:39 AM
Bummer about the luggage, hope it got to you quick.

faline
02-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Hope that luggage catches up to you! Still, you are now settled in your house and ready to tackle the World!

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-02-2011, 03:48 PM
great start

KylesMom
02-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Lizzie, while your family experienced some delays, it could have been WAY worse! Glad you arrived at your vacation home safe & sound. Looking forward to your adventures! :mickey:

vizsla
02-03-2011, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the report.

DisneyorBust
02-03-2011, 05:31 AM
What a long day to begin your trip to the Magic! Hopefully the luugage wasn't too far behind you!

forever a child
02-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Sorry about your luggage. You seem to not let it put a damper on your vacation! :thumbsup: Hope it was returned to you soon! Looking forward to your trip reports! :cloud9:

pdrlkr
02-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: