PDA

View Full Version : Preparing to get hammahed again!!!!

RedSoxandPatsfan
01-31-2011, 04:36 PM
Just watching the weather forecast for the impending storm about to hit, again. Looks like were gonna get hammahed ( hammered ) in the Northeast again. I'm about ten minutes from the NH border here in Mass. Most stations are calling for 18" to 24" starting tomorrow. Got nowhere to put it but it's coming anyway. To the rest of you in the Northeast best of luck dealing with it all. Roof collapses in CT are making me nervous.

OH Yeah did I mention that there is another one coming right behind this one for Saturday. Oh well at least I won't need to go to Alaska anytime soon.

Jealous of all you in Disney right now.

paragon
01-31-2011, 05:42 PM
I'm a few miles up the road from you! I just went out and cut back the snowbanks a bit, but the mountain at the end of my driveway is so definitely gonna be there til May!

laprana
01-31-2011, 06:01 PM
I'm near the St. Louis area and we are getting slammed with freezing rain/sleet right now, more to come tomorrow, and then after that we're looking at anywhere from 10-18 inches of snow. :( Should be an interesting drive to work in the morning! I know we haven't had it as bad as the Northeast, but I'm sooooo ready for this winter to be over! :snowball: Moving to Florida is sounding better and better by the day!

Daisy'sMom
01-31-2011, 06:58 PM
After living in CT, I can honestly say I am so glad I am not there. It was 72 here today and tomorrow it will be about 78.
Stay warm, stay safe.:mickey:

teambricker04
01-31-2011, 07:06 PM
Nothing yet in Chicago, but it's coming! YIKES! They are saying this might be the most hazardous blizzard on record. They are saying 2-3 inches an hour starting tomorrow night. Over 18inches creating drifts 6 feet high. The lake is expecting 15 foot waves at the shore.

The lucky thing for us here... all of our previous snow has nearly all melted.

Batten the hatches!!!!

SBETigg
01-31-2011, 08:51 PM
I know! Wow, can you believe it? This is really too much. I'm bracing for the next wave, and yeah, a little worried about the roof.

WDWfanatic742
01-31-2011, 09:01 PM
After living in CT, I can honestly say I am so glad I am not there. It was 72 here today and tomorrow it will be about 78.
Stay warm, stay safe.:mickey:

Best thing about living down here :sun:

ChipDale2708
02-01-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm in CT and can't take any more of this. I spent Sunday afternoon with roof rake - never heard of them until the media jumped all over this little now necessary tool. Just heard there are hardware stores that will rent you one for $40 an hour... I'm not worried about collapse, just major leaks. Good luck everyone - stay safe!!

princessgirls
02-01-2011, 11:35 AM
As I type this, sleet is popping off my office window. I'm really OVER this winter!!

I have over 5 feet piles on snow on either side of my driveway, and I don't think I can throw it any higher. I'm worried about flooding in the spring, when this all melts. It's exhausting...my girls have no school today either! Not a full week of school since before Christmas Break. Half of our staff at work isn't in, our snow removal bills are HUGE this year, my boss isn't happy about that, as it effects the bottom line.
Oh, and it's only the beginning of February. We could still be in for another 2 full months of this stuff!
Julie:mickey:

LauraF
02-01-2011, 12:04 PM
I saw a merchant today that had the right attitude: On Route 146, there is a ski shop who had a sign that read "Ski SALE! Free snow. All you can carry."

Made me laugh all the way to work. :-) :thumbsup:

lettripp
02-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Sooooooo sick of this weather. At this rate, school will run until JULY!

I am thankful that (at least this time around) southern New England is getting the ice and not as much snow accumulation as we have been... at least it is a change of pace from feet of snow!

Still, snow day today and I'm guessing there will be another tomorrow if this keeps up... UGH.

Mousefever
02-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Here in the Denver area we only got a thin layer of ice and a couple inches of snow. And yet most school systems here were closed today and we are closed again tomorrow because of the extreme cold! I'm not sure I understand the logic behind this. What the heck do the schools in ND and MN do? I'm sure they don't close down for below 0 weather.

Amy

faline
02-01-2011, 07:18 PM
I need a vacation! :mickey:

SBETigg
02-01-2011, 08:33 PM
We don't close down for below zero unless a school has problems with pipe freeze (rare). But we are already closed for tomorrow. 8 inches of snow today, another 8 of wintry mix (snow and freezing rain) due overnight. Yuck. The ice is what really gets me. Snow, okay, but we've had enough. Ice? Nothing good in that.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-01-2011, 09:44 PM
The pile of snow beside my garage has to be about 8 feet high. My friend plows my driveway when it's bad and there is nowhere left to push it. Unfortunately that's the only side he can push it to! Even with him plowing I spent two hours raking just the garage roof and snow blowing the driveway and fire hydrant. Oh yeah, and I cleaned off the gas heat vent/pipe so I don't get killed in my sleep!
And I've already had ice dams leaking in the bedroom last night.
Enough of this stuff already. Only 24 and a half days till Disney. Hopefully we don't get snowed in that day!!
Stay safe and good luck to everyone!

Janmac
02-01-2011, 11:18 PM
Well, we're not in the Northeast, so we've not had the snow after snow after snow that y'all have had but we did get a good foot of snow today, here at the house. Eighty miles north in Columbia, Missouri, EVERYthing is closed, including the operating rooms at the hospitals. And I-70 from St. Louis to Kansas City, as well as I-44 from Springfield to points west are also closed. I can not remember the interstates being closed before.

Maybe luckily, our snow generally slides off our roof because our house is so poorly insulated.

Our daughter and s-i-l and granddaughter live in northern Wisconson, about 20 miles from Duluth, Minnesota. They will get school cancellations for cold - when it's 20+ degrees below zero. Merely 15 below isn't enough. And rarely do they get enough snow to cancel school - and they get lots of lake effect snow there from Lake Superior. They got 4 or 5 inches (almost only flurries) on Sunday and school went on as usual. Here in our neck of the woods, that much snow would be a definite cancellation.

We have more problems with icing (freezing drizzle especially) here in mid-Missouri, which closes schools quickly. When we had too many snow days, the state legislature would introduce and pass a bill forgiving the snow days (allowing the school year to be shorter). After several years in a row of this someone got smart and added an automatic clause to the (then) current bill. With the weather we've had this January, it's starting to look like we're going to have to have snow days forgiven this year too.

I don't know if this is true, but I've heard that in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan they get so much snow that after the piles along the walkway get deep enough they put plywood over the walkway and stop shoveling. They walk under the plywood and snow. I don't know what they do when it all starts melting.

It's a shame all that snow in the Northeast can't be scooped up and dumped in reservoirs for use later.

Jan

LauraF
02-18-2011, 12:23 PM
It's a shame all that snow in the Northeast can't be scooped up and dumped in reservoirs for use later.
If it did, we'd have a huge ecological problem on our hands because of all the schmutz in the snow - road salt, dirt, oil, gas, etc.

Most of it tends to melt and run off into areas like that, but it is not pure spring water by any stretch of the imagination! As I look outside my window at the melting, all the snow is black from the crud mixed in with it.

bucky at disney
02-18-2011, 04:35 PM
Now we're gearing up for another 6"-15" in Wisconsin starting tomorrow night! Enough already!!

sportsguy2315
02-19-2011, 12:02 PM
The National Weather Service is saying 7-11" tomorrow alone. :(

What was funny though was that the hockey team that I blog about was going to be sponsoring a "Sledding With the Mavericks" event tomorrow. They announced at last night's game that due to the lack of snow (at least right now) the event would be cancelled. The amount of booing following this announcement surprised me. :D

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-20-2011, 09:56 PM

Jan

They've actually fined some companies for dumping in bodies of water because it pollutes the water. With the amount of salt they use you do NOT want it going into resevoirs.

And at least tonight/tomorrow, we are only supposed to get 1-4 inches. We consider that a dusting now. I'm not really happy about it since the snow on the roof is finally almost all gone.

crazypoohbear
02-20-2011, 11:30 PM
Am I the only person in Mass. who is hoping for a huge storm tomorrow. Only 1-3 or 3-5 inches predicted depending on where you fall in the snow line but I am hoping for more!
Snow is money from heaven!