PDA

View Full Version : Just an FYI (almost review)

lovin'fl
01-31-2011, 01:52 PM
My inlaws just got back from WDW. We booked them a 1BR at OKW near the hospitality house. They got the DDP and I made their ADRs several months ago. I got them the ADRs they wanted for their 6 night stay. They wanted to do Hollywood Brown Derby- Fantasmic package and they were well aware that it would cost them 2 TS. They had planned not to do a TS their first night and just do a CS, but we bought them a Disney gift card for Xmas and made them an ADR at Fultons. They ate 2 breakfasts at OKW (Olivia's) and thought it counted as 2 CS. I'm not sure why they thought that since they were seated and waited on, but they did think that (they said something about the cost only being about $10/person). When they went to the Brown Derby, they were told they were out of TS and had to pay OOP. They went to customer service at OKW and explained and Disney was kind enough to count their 2 breakfasts as 2 CS, the Derby as 2 TS and credit them back for paying OOP. I think that was very good customer service and am glad to hear about it given that WDW has been disappointing me so much lately. It was very redeeming. Anyhow...the inlaws had this to say about WDW dining: costs are very high... have gone up a lot this past year and portion sizes are very small...not like they used to be. They don't think they'll do the DDP anymore either. They may bring in groceries and fend for themselves more in the future.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-31-2011, 06:47 PM
I'm so glad to hear that Disney sorted everything out for them.

Fastpasssteve
02-01-2011, 01:18 AM
This is a good reminder that Disney is a marathon, not a sprint.

It takes some planning; knowledge is power. Intercot and other websites offer deep knowledge about the DDP and offer detailed menus (often with prices listed).

I also enjoy looking at the menus to see what might interest me and to help me plan (If I'm going to get the beef filet at Jiko on Thursday, I don't want to get the beef at The Brown Derby on Wednesday. I'll want to choose something different.)

I'm glad it all worked out in the end.

Resort areas (like Disney) are more expensive than one might find at home. This is no great surprise. However, depending on your choices, you can find great value for your dollar.

lovin'fl
02-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Resort areas (like Disney) are more expensive than one might find at home. This is no great surprise. However, depending on your choices, you can find great value for your dollar.

I agree and this is why we'll do TIW for our 2 trips this year and do as many lunch TS as we can instead of dinner.
But, my inlaws have gone every Jan for the past few years and felt that- this year-costs were even more over the top than usual and portions way smaller than usual too.