PDA

View Full Version : Honeymoon Planning

Dulcee
01-31-2011, 12:54 PM
DBF and I are getting married October 2012. :groom::bride: We really want to do a WDW honeymoon. Now most likely we will need to push the dates for the Honeymoon to Mid December or Mid January as I'm a graduate student and can't leave during the middle of a semester.

While I'd love to do a "dream" trip we aren't going to be able to swing every dream aspect we'd love to have, even with registering for the Disney honeymoon registry.

So if this was your honeymoon what would you give on and what would you absolutely want?

Deluxe hotel - Being a honeymoon I think we'll be more low key on this trip then the last time we went and thus spend more time at the hotel/room then we previously did, making a deluxe worthwhile. But then I see the price tag attached each night and I cringe and think maybe not.

Deluxe Dining - We previously did the regular dining and loved having it all done ahead of time. We always do one TS a day but would love to be able to do more signature dining experiences being that this is our honeymoon. Deluxe dining would make this possible but there's no way I could do both deluxe dining and deluxe hotel.

Longer Stay - DBF is a police officer (in the academy now but by then will have racked up some decent vacation time) and I'll be on winter break so technically we could do a longer then a 1 week stay if we wanted. I've never stayed longer then a week but I'm never ready to leave at the end of our trips.

So which route would you guys go? And is there anything I should know about going in the winter months? I've only ever been in June - August. Historically do they generally offer any deals during this time?

Thanks all!

DonaldsBFF
01-31-2011, 02:43 PM
If this was my honeymoon, I would def. want the longer stay. We did 7 days for ours and wished it would have been longer. Could live without the Deluxe DP and Deluxe hotel. We did our honeymoon in the beginning of January and then another trip around the same time. The weather was nice both times and the temps never got above mid 70s to low 80s. It was usually cool in the morning and at night. Very little rain if any. The best part was the Christmas decorations. I would maybe save on the deluxe and do a few extras like horseback riding or carriage ride, maybe even a tour. There are many choices, just depends what you like.

anneo
01-31-2011, 03:11 PM
We stayed in a moderate for our honeymoon, and we found it worked out well. Granted, my husband had never been to WDW, so we hit the parks for a majority of our stay. If you'd be willing to go with a moderate, you might have an easier time swinging the deluxe dining plan or doing some of the other things, like the carriage rides, with the money you'd save by not doing with a deluxe.

I was in grad school too when we got married, and I had no problems taking off from school. One of my professors was mean about it, but the others worked with me and let me turn in my assignments ahead of time. If you know your professors, and you would really like to go on your honeymoon right after the wedding, talk to them. They might be willing to help out.

Make sure that you note on all of your reservations that you're on your honeymoon.

faline
01-31-2011, 07:14 PM
Might you consider staying club level - perhaps at Wilderness Lodge? We found we could have breakfast every morning out of club offerings. The evening offerings also made a meal on an evening or two. The snacks and others offerings also diminished our need for dining expenses.

Dulcee
02-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Might you consider staying club level - perhaps at Wilderness Lodge?

We were also considering that option. We had looked at Poly but the prices seemed astronomical. Does club level at WL and AKL run a little lower? And do they have the same offerings?

faline
02-01-2011, 01:59 PM
We were also considering that option. We had looked at Poly but the prices seemed astronomical. Does club level at WL and AKL run a little lower? And do they have the same offerings?

I haven't tried Club Level at the other resorts but have stayed Club Level at Wilderness Lodge a couple of times. My understanding, though, is that the offerings are somewhat different from resort to resort but follow the same basics.

Club Level at Wilderness Lodge does tend to run less than some of the others. On the two occasions we stayed, we were lucky enough to get a PIN code which provided us with 40% off the room rate so, essentially, the cost was about equivalent to staying in a regular room at rack rate.

jimsgal05
02-03-2011, 09:04 AM
I 1st want to say Congrats.. we are having our honeymoon in May we are already married. but had to push our honeymoon out because of a medical reason I had. I agree with the previous post with longer stay 7 days!! also, If you just did 1 delux TS than it is that more special . If you booked you trip right now on Disney credit you get 0% intrest on the disey part plus they are running speicals on points = dollars..so you can get more $ to use towards your meals. As far as room Moderate is a great way to go... We are staying at the Poly..only because I recieved 40% off and it has been my dream to stay there since I was a small child..and I am surprizing my husband he thinks we are staying somewhere else. Wilderness lodge is great place though. Also from what I was told when you book it make sure you tell them it is your honeymoon.
Also tell you guest where you are going some people might get you guys gift cards for DisneyWorld.
well best wishes to you both!!!:)

MyDisneyworld
02-03-2011, 09:29 AM
We had our honeymoon at Disney World almost 11 years ago and have been hooked ever since. It was a very magical trip for us and we were on a tight budget after paying for our own wedding. We stayed off property and found we did not use the resort room very much because we were at the parks all day. We did not do any dining plan but did eat most of our meals at a sit down place and learned not to do that as we were stuffed all the time. Since this time we have gone every year and are now DVC owners. Renting DVC points can get you into a villa for a fraction of the price that can be comparable to a value/moderate cash price. Just do a search for it online and you will be surprised at the number of sites that offer this. We are actually short points for our next trip so will be renting some to stay at BLT. We have also learned to split many of our meals so we can experience more places, not feel bloated and save money.
Whatever you decide I'm sure it will be a very magical time and like many others on here you will probably be hooked for life.

beksy
02-03-2011, 04:32 PM
We are planning our honeymoon for Oct 2011 and are staying at the WL in the honeymoon rooms on Club Level (thanks to a pin!). When we made our ressies we found out that there is a specific website that sends you a giftcard and then you "register" there like you would in any other store except it is all for your trip. You can register for help paying off the room, food, other activites, anything you want. The money people pay are put on that card and then you can actually use it for anything you want in case you change your mind after registering. It just has to be used where a Disney Giftcard would be accepted. Also, the money never expires so if you don't use it all on that trip, you can carry it over to another trip. We were excited since we have both been living on our own for several years and don't need the traditional household gifts.

brivers222
02-07-2011, 11:01 AM
We are getting married 11.12.11 and have booked our honeymoon for 12.10.11 - 12.18.11

We are staying at the Polynesian and getting the Deluxe Dinning plan.

We registered with the disney honeymoon registry and look forward to the possibility that somethings will be paid for once we announce our registry.

and we will be doing some message therapy at the Grand Floridan spa ;)