PDA

View Full Version : Beaches

ransam
01-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Hi.
I just booked my next trip for September of this year. can't wait.
one thing i'd love to do is to spend a couple hours on a beach, doing nothing but chillling and getting some thoughts in prospective...i was going to rent a car one day, and then thought maybe there was somewhere on property i could do that. I'll be staying at POP. anyone have any ideas of a beach?

faline
01-29-2011, 04:55 PM
There are a number of lake front areas on property and many have lounges available. However, there is no swimming allowed in any of Disney World's lakes. If you want to take a dip, you'll need to head for one of the pools.

CleveRocks
01-29-2011, 08:14 PM
There are several places on-property defined as "beaches," but if you've ever been to a real beach then the Disney beaches are not what you're looking for.

I moved from the midwest to an East coast beach resort town. I moved here for the beach. To me, the beach is more than just the meeting of sand and water. It's the sound of the waves. It's the smell of the fresh salt air. It's the pleasant breeze that natually wafts from the sea. It's the looking outward over the water all the way to the horizon. All of THAT is what called to me from Ohio.

Disney can't give you any of that.

If you need a real beach, rent a car. But if you're not a beach romantic like I am, your best bet, in my opinion, is the relatively long stretch of beach at Disney's Polynesian Resort. A few hammocks and plenty of lounge chairs.

johnO
01-30-2011, 04:35 PM
Typhoon Lagoon...lazy river:D

Ian
01-31-2011, 10:15 AM
Do the beach at the Beach Club Resort. It's a really pretty spot, with hammocks and beach chairs and stuff. I saw a whole bunch of people just napping there on Wednesday and thought to myself, "Man, that looks relaxing!"

megustamex
01-31-2011, 10:59 AM
I second Typhoon Lagoon for a beach-like atmosphere. However, if you are looking for a real beach you can head to Tampa. The beaches on the Gulf are way better than the Atlantic in my opinion, especially compared to the Atlantic ones closest to Disney. Do a search for "best Tampa beaches" and you'll find plenty. It will take about 2 hours to get to a good beach on that side.

Alternatively, you could head to the Cocoa Beach area on the Atlantic side. That takes a little over an hour, but I don't think it compares to the Gulf.

artyboy
01-31-2011, 11:45 AM
Coronado Springs has a lovely "beach" with hammocks...and there's never anyone there!

ransam
01-31-2011, 06:23 PM
Coronado Springs has a lovely "beach" with hammocks...and there's never anyone there!

if I'm not staying at the resort, can i still go there?

teambricker04
01-31-2011, 06:35 PM
if I'm not staying at the resort, can i still go there?

No, you can't pool hop.

Personally, I think renting a car and taking a day to go to the beach is a great way to break up the trip. When my family goes we try Cocoa Beach (We like Ron Jons and some of the other touristy things in the area), but the gulf side has nicer beaches IMHO like St. Pete Beach. I got married on that beach, so I am totally biased :)

Good luck making a decision!

faline
01-31-2011, 08:08 PM
No, you can't pool hop.

It's true there is a prohibition against pool hopping but I've never seen a ban against sitting in a hanmock or on a lounge along one of the lake fronts.

Buttercup
01-31-2011, 08:38 PM
Yeah you can't pool hop, but you can certainly go and sit on the beaches & lounge in a hammock!:thumbsup:

Dream'nDisney
02-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Another great spot is the Polynesian beach, with a view of the Castle in the distance, the monorial's swooshing by in the background, the beautiful Grand Floridian facing you, and occasionally seeing the riverboat taking happy guests to MK. :cloud9: All that's missing is a frozen drink from the pool bar, and you are set. :mickey:

ransam
02-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Another great spot is the Polynesian beach, with a view of the Castle in the distance, the monorial's swooshing by in the background, the beautiful Grand Floridian facing you, and occasionally seeing the riverboat taking happy guests to MK. :cloud9: All that's missing is a frozen drink from the pool bar, and you are set. :mickey:

i like that picture....do you know how crowded the beach is? I'm thnking some time on the beach, and then Dinner at O'hana!

Dream'nDisney
02-02-2011, 12:36 PM
The beach is pretty large, so I imagine you could find a spot to enjoy. We are experiencing our third snow day!! Boy, would I love to be there right now?!

Regarding eating at Ohana, just be sure to make your dining reservations as soon as you can. We decided just recently (well within our 180 days of arrival) that we might want to eat there again during our upcoming trip, but there was no availability during our entire stay.

dinahvixen
02-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Last spring we stopped at CSR, we just pulled up to the gate and asked to see the resort. We were given a pass for the car (or maybe just checked in at the gate, I can't remember), and allowed in. We had a gellato at the outside dock area and then spent an hour or so walking around the grounds checking it out and spending some time on the beach sand there - very relaxing and it was allowed. And now, we've checked out a resort that we've never stayed at, but might if we ever decide to pull away from POR. Oh, and we weren't visiting WDW that spring, and it was still allowed with just a request at the gate. Very nice.