PDA

View Full Version : Surprises

JennPooh
01-27-2011, 04:23 PM
OK. Need everyone's help to come up with a few ideas.

Here's the story. We were supposed to go to WDW back in December with our entire family (me, DH, DD, both parents & MIL) BUT my mom had a heart attack which delayed our plans. She was distraught and really down because it's been 3 years since she's been.

I am trying to come up with little surprises for her (and the rest of the group). I'm down to the wire on the money, so need something more thoughtful than expensive.

I have already booked the Wished Dessert Party.

Any ideas???? She's a really great woman who deserves and great time at Disney.

faline
01-27-2011, 06:00 PM
How about tea at the Grand Floridian? Maybe for just you and your mom for a special mother/daughter time? Or perhaps, just for the ladies in your travel group?

Perhaps a manicure and/or pedicure before or after tea?

forever a child
01-27-2011, 06:04 PM
How about Tea at the Grand Floridian or a family portrait at one of the Deluxe resorts?

Disneyfun
01-28-2011, 12:30 AM
I am not sure if they are doing this still at the GF, but they had a photopass area set up on one of the balcony areas where you and your family could pose for a picture with the photopass photographer. It is a professional sitting type of experience, and they will take a picture with your camera as well! You could just take her for a mother & daughter picture/memory and then go for a small treat at one of the many restaurants in the area (Kona would be a great little restaurant at the Poly).

Of course, you could turn this into an official family portrait as well. You could even go so far at to book the photo sessions that Disney can do or go with an off site professional that can meet you at the different locations to take family pictures! Not sure on the price of this though!

If your mom is anywhere close to celebrating a birthday, you may want to simply ask for a birthday button at your resort or at guest services at the entrance to the parks. It's free and she will get noticed all day with special treatment!

Cinderelley
01-31-2011, 05:34 AM
I am sure she will just be ecstatic to be there with you guys. :D

But maybe you guys could leave little homemade surprises for her in her room each day.

Finding out where you can find her favorite character and making sure to get a photo op with her.

Making a special Disney video with your pictures when you get home.

Decorate her resort room or have Disney decorate it.

Concentrate on the things she likes, and I am sure you will find something.

ransam
01-31-2011, 06:30 PM
If you eat at Coral Reef, they will sometimes have a diver who will come to the window w/ a message. Call them and see if they will do that.

teambricker04
01-31-2011, 06:37 PM
I took my mom to tea at the GF and it was one of the most special things we have ever done together. We STILL talk about the nummy devonshire cream. It was calm and a great way to relax on our trip with out spending an arm and a leg.

CKDHaven
01-31-2011, 07:42 PM
I've always found the simplest things are the most impactful. Maybe this trip you can declare a new special place and start a new tradition in her honor. If you are religious - say a prayer of thanks as a group at breakfast on the first morning there. Or - decide that you will have ice cream at 10am one day to celebrate everyone finally making it there! Pick a memory from her first trip there and plan an event around it. One of my wife's favorite memories is a childhood picture she has of her with Snow White when she was 7. We recreated that same picture / pose last time we went and had the two photos framed together. All simple, low cost, and very high value! You won't find anything that you can buy at Disney that will give you more value than a few minutes together celebrating the family!

faline
01-31-2011, 08:00 PM
If you eat at Coral Reef, they will sometimes have a diver who will come to the window w/ a message. Call them and see if they will do that.

I understand they continued that practice quite some time ago. I don't think they were able to keep up with the demand.

lynnek
02-01-2011, 05:23 PM
We had a great time doing our version of the Amazing Race around World Showcase. It was our first trip to WDW and I was so overwhelmed with the amt of interesting things I wanted to make sure to tell my kids to look for etc when we were there. I researched a bunch of things online and then printed out clues, roadblocks etc for each country. It was a lot of fun for everyone. I have them saved on my computer and could email them to you if you'd like. It makes for a fun time in WS and you could tailor it to your needs, print it out and have it ready before you left. We had a lot of other guests jumping in to help with the clues as we went along which was fun:) So I know it wasn't just interesting for DS12 and DD10.

Cinderelley
02-02-2011, 02:20 AM
We had a great time doing our version of the Amazing Race around World Showcase. It was our first trip to WDW and I was so overwhelmed with the amt of interesting things I wanted to make sure to tell my kids to look for etc when we were there. I researched a bunch of things online and then printed out clues, roadblocks etc for each country. It was a lot of fun for everyone. I have them saved on my computer and could email them to you if you'd like. It makes for a fun time in WS and you could tailor it to your needs, print it out and have it ready before you left. We had a lot of other guests jumping in to help with the clues as we went along which was fun:) So I know it wasn't just interesting for DS12 and DD10.

Would you mind sending it to me too?