PDA

View Full Version : Tipping

ncrohrs
01-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Hey! We are arriving on Monday! Yeah!

Just wondering about the following concerning tipping.

Is it automatic for restaurants on parties of 6 or more to add 18%? Or is it parties of 8 or more? Will an under 3 child count as a person for that?

What do you tip mousekeeping?

What do you tip the guy who brings up your luggage?

Anyone else I need to plan on for tips?

Thanks! We never carry cash and wanted to make sure we had enough on us!

Nicole
Poly Baby...in 4 days!!!!

KylesMom
01-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Yes, tipping is automatic for parties of 6 or more, even if one is a child under 3.

We usually tip Mousekeeping $1 per person per day - or a bit more if they've met our requests such as extra towels, shampoo, etcetera.

We tip bell services $1 per bag.

Sounds like you've got everything covered. Have a magical time! :mickey:

mook3y
01-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Yes, tipping is automatic for parties of 6 or more, even if one is a child under 3.

We usually tip Mousekeeping $1 per person per day - or a bit more if they've met our requests such as extra towels, shampoo, etcetera.

We tip bell services $1 per bag.

This is what we tip too.

If service is very good, we usually tip another 2 - 5%

gardenia
01-27-2011, 06:09 PM
You don't have to tip housekeeping. It's not a tipped position, they are union and get decent salary. But you can if you really want to.

nkereina
01-27-2011, 08:17 PM
You don't have to tip housekeeping. It's not a tipped position, they are union and get decent salary. But you can if you really want to.

Agreed. I worked for a luxury hotel chain and the housekeepers started at above minimum wage. The bell men made a "servers" salary of below minimum wage and had to report their tips, just like a server.

jokat
01-29-2011, 10:57 AM
We agree with the rates mentioned above. You've likely seen this suggestion previously, but just in case... We always have fun preparing our tip envelopes in advance. Not only is it a fun activity for DD (and me), but it helped me stay organized. I would prep the daily mousekeeping envelopes with the day of the week and put the money in ($1/person). I also prepped the bell services envelopes, knowing how many bags we were hauling. I could hand off the tip envelope to my hubby and no fumbling around with loose dollars or wrong change. We would leave the mousekeeping envelopes near the bathroom sink each morning. We also kept dollars on hand, of course, in case we needed to add a bit or changed our mind about a tip (not a frequent occurrence).

We used crayons and stickers to decorate ours, but some folks get fancy with computer graphics. I've seen different versions over the years here on Intercot. Either way, I think the pre-made tip envelopes end up being a great time-saver.

javamama
01-30-2011, 06:56 PM
We tip everyone, pretty good at that my dad is in a job now that his salary is based on tips so I look at it that way. We usually tip the Mousekeepers 10-20 right off the bat, if we call for something to be brought up towels more shampoo, etc we tip a few bucks. As for the bell men, we tip about 20 bucks we usually have 4 bags(that's what we give the skycabs too) Now on to the the waitstaff, that one all depends I really can be difficult if service is poor in a resturant(anywhere). We usually tip 20-30% of the total, if service is bad we just double the tax.