PDA

View Full Version : Disney Dream trending on Yahoo

MarkC
01-27-2011, 11:53 AM
I thought this might just go away, but the Disney Dream has been trending all morning on Yahoo. The story is that it apparently came within a few feet of a Royal Carribbean ship when disembarking. Depending on who you believe, the ships got anywhere from 20-30 feet to only a foot or two away. It will be interesting to see if any more comes of this. Is there anyone here who was on board who can confirm, deny, etc.? A passenger on the other ship got some video of it, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

Ian
01-27-2011, 12:59 PM
When? I just got off the last cruise and I didn't see anything.

Did it happen during the departure yesterday on the inaugural cruise?

MarkC
01-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Just took a close look at the article. This happened on Jan 17th, 2 days before it was christened. Still interesting but I see its fallen off the top 10 stories trending right now.

Ed
01-28-2011, 02:24 PM
It was really a non-event. If anything, it highlights the precision handling of the ship by the Captain and crew.

Dream was being turned from its usual position of having the starboard side up against the pier to having the port side against it; a 180 degree turnaround. Essentially, they had to move the 1100+ foot ship away from the pier and turn it around in a basin that measures about 1600' x 2600' at its widest parts. The other ship was moored, which cut that 1600' part to more like 1450'.

Yes, the stern of Dream did get close to the other ship, but they never touched, and depending on whose version you believe the distance between them was somewhere between 1 foot and 30 feet.

Bottom line is that "close" only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. :D