PDA

View Full Version : flying with an ear infection

Suz36
01-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Hope this is an OK place to post this question. My DD10 had an ear infection diagnosed Monday evening, and has been on antibiotics since. She still has fluid in her ear, and I'm concerned about our flight Friday morning. The doctor gave us the OK, but did warn us that she could end up with a ruptured eardrum, and gave us drops for that, just in case. Does anyone have any advice to help her through this flight, and lessen the chance of a rupture? She's on a decongestant, and I know about chewing gum, drinking water, yawning, using a saline nasal spray. Anything else?

SBETigg
01-26-2011, 11:09 PM
I believe there are some kind of ear plugs you can buy to help, too. I'm not sure about it, never used them, but I recall reading about them on another thread. Someone will surely come along with a recommendation. But, I hope she does okay. Ear problems can be really painful and hard on kids, and parents. Sorry about this. Sounds like you are well prepared.

Ed
01-26-2011, 11:25 PM
There's a product called "Earplanes" which I've heard are very effective, although I've never personally used them; Google them for more info.

Tinkerfreak
01-27-2011, 05:45 AM
DD tried the earplanes and they didn't help her. We did however get an eardrop from the pediatrician that knumbed her ear and she could use if she started to feel pain. She had to use them on the decent into Orlando last time and said they really helped. She used them at the very first sign of discomfort. She always has trouble getting her ears to pop and is in pain when landing or even if we go up too fast.

DisneyFr33k
01-27-2011, 06:20 AM
You're lucky to have caught it before you trip! I found out my son had an ear infection when we were decending down to Orlando - he was screaming in pain! Long night - ended up at Celebration Hospital until 4am. He couldn't swim in the pools - ear plugs were a must - and on meds all week!

I hope your flight goes way better than ours did!!

faline
01-27-2011, 09:58 AM
My daughter once developed an ear infection while we were at Disney - just a couple of days before we were to leave. The doctor ordered that she not fly on the day we were scheduled to come home and we ended up staying an extra day. (Disney was wonderful in providing us with assistance around all the particulars but that's another story.)

In your case, you have received permission for your daughter to fly. I would do whatever possible to alleviate the fluid during the flight including what you have mentioned - such as decongestants, gum chewing etc. Do warn your daughter that the changes in cabin pressure can still be quite painful so she is prepared.

I developed a cold during one trip. Although I had taken a decongestant, the changes in cabin pressure helped drive fluid into my ears and the descent truly was very painful!

yjgirl32
01-27-2011, 10:13 AM
I had the same problem on my ds3's first trip- he had gotten an ear infection and we were to leave 3 days later- his peditrician told me to give him lollipops before take off and during the landing- worked out well for him. SHe also gave us Congaplex for the infection which is some time of herbal supplememnt instead of the antibiotics- she tries natural things first and it worked really really well- in fact my husband and I also got an ear infection and it helped us too. Good luck hope you have a great trip.