PDA

View Full Version : Disabled Parking Permit

BigG007
01-26-2011, 08:30 AM
I am travelling to Florida from the UK in April, my wife is disabled and uses a wheelchair.

We have a vehicle disabled parking permit for the UK, is there any way I can obtain a temporary pass to use when in Florida this year

Strmchsr
01-26-2011, 10:12 AM
I don't know the answer (hopefully someone will soon), but I'm sure if you show your permit to the Cast Member at your resort they should be able to help you find something that will work for you.

PETE FROM NYC
01-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Don't know abour the international , but Florida recognizes my disabled permit issued in NY.

ElenitaB
01-26-2011, 08:10 PM
I also used my disabled permit issued by New York State, but I believe that the procedure is different with permits issued abroad. As I recall, you may have to go to Florida's Motor Vehicle office to get a US-issued permit.

Ed
01-26-2011, 11:45 PM
WDW parking lots will very likely honor your permit, but it might not be recognized at off-site locations such as shopping centers, restaurants, etc. If you anticipate parking off-property, here's info from Florida state law:

Out-of-Country Visitors

Visitors from other countries who have valid disabled parking permits from their resident country may purchase a temporary permit for $15.00. This permit is valid for 6 months. They must show the valid out-of-country permit and a passport (or other comparable identification). This permit cannot be issued through the mail. Original documents and identification may be brought to any of our office locations. The documents may be brought in by a family member, friend or guardian and will be returned.

Orange County Tax Collector is the issuing agency; their office locations can be found here. (http://www.octaxcol.com/OfficeLocations.htm)

And here's a little-known tidbit - - If you use valet parking at WDW resorts, it is FREE if you are displaying the handicapped tag ! (But do consider tipping the valet!)

dlpmikki
01-27-2011, 02:55 AM
Until a few years ago you could use the blue badge with no problem but for some unknown reason Florida changed their law - the blue badge is still recognised in many other states.

Disney parking lots and Universal will recognise it but as Ed says if you want to go off-site it is sensible to get a temporary permit. The good news is that Osceola County have realised what a nuisance it is for UK visitors and have set up a system where you can order your permit in advance and they will mail it to you. The cost (in advance or in person) is $15 and it is definitely easier to get in advance. Email Samantha Jewell and she will tell you what they need - probably both sides of the blue badge emailed or faxed and you will probably have to ring to give your credit card number for the payment (that can't be emailed).

The phone number is (407) 742-3879 and her email is [email protected]

Jen1984
01-27-2011, 04:59 AM
Looked it up in Brits Guide to Orlando for you. They will need a photo copy of both sides of your badge, photocopy of your passport ID page and either a money order for $15, or credit card details. (There is a $2 surcharge, and they don't accept visa.)
This has to be sent to 'Department, Osceola Country Tax Collector, 2501 E Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway, Kissimee, Florida 34744' (Tel no: 407 742 4000, Fax no: 407 7423995)
This needs to be sent at least 4 weeks in advance, and is issued for 90 days. Include your email address, your UK address and your holiday dates. Like someone has mentioned before, Disney will accept your badge anyway.

BigG007
02-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Thank you everyone for the help, I now have the info I needed, I will apply in advance

ransam
02-07-2011, 01:36 AM
good luck. Disney is the best at accomodating handicap.