PDA

View Full Version : Finding Nemo saved my computer!

akaDisneyDreamer
01-25-2011, 05:38 PM
I think this is kind of an interesting story ...

My computer fan was very noisy ... I'd use canned air and blow it out and it would still continue to make lots of grumbly noises. One day a couple of weeks ago I decided to just spray the heck out of it and then I turned it on and it was quiet. Silent actually. Everything seemed fine though at first, then about 10 minutes later it just shut itself off. :confused: I turned it back on, same routine, silence, shut off again. Daily I would go through the routine, hoping it would just stay on and be okay, but finally I had come to accept that my computer fan was probably dead and that I was going to have to get a new computer since my warranty had run out. :(

Then one evening, I watched Finding Nemo. I love that movie. :nemo:

The next day, a scene in that movie found it's way back into my mind and I wondered ... it was the part where Nemo is in the aquarium and he gets in the filter and they get a rock in there to stop the fan ... I wondered if, when I previously used the canned air, that maybe it blew a clump of dust in a place where it stopped the fan from working? So I took the canned air and blew it in there again and turned on the computer and suddenly I heard the whirring of the fan! My computer is now working again, thanks to Nemo!

I know this is a little lengthy, but I just thought it was awesome that Nemo made me think about that and saved me from buying a new computer! :cloud9:

forever a child
01-25-2011, 06:27 PM
What a funny story! Good for you! :thumbsup:

faline
01-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Glad Finding Nemo had a real-life application for you! :mickey:

mook3y
01-25-2011, 06:51 PM
too funny! :thumbsup:

VWL Mom
01-25-2011, 07:00 PM
That's great :thumbsup:

DizneyRox
01-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Just wanted to pipe in, a bad fan is hardly a reason to get a new computer. Pretty much any fan you need is available online (I prefer newegg dot com but any PC parts place would probably do.

Most fans can be had for a couple bucks, especially if you don't need LEDs and such. I always replace fans with others that have ball bearings. They seem to last longer and are less noisy.

Just thought I mention it. Also a good cleaning is always good. Be careful around the power supply. I blew out a power supply once with what I guess was a massive dust bunny that made a connection that shouldn't have ben made.

BellesRose
01-25-2011, 07:12 PM
I'm sure Disney would love to hear that story! It's a lot better than the other Nemo stories I've heard :secret:

akaDisneyDreamer
01-25-2011, 07:48 PM
DizneyRox, I have a laptop and couldn't open it to look at the fan, (I don't have a tiny screwdriver! lol!) but anyway I didn't even know I could replace a fan myself, and cheaply too! Thanks for the info.

However, I did think it was just really cool how watching that movie made me wonder if that could be the issue with my computer. ;)

EeyoresBestFriend
01-25-2011, 10:47 PM
It just goes to prove that Disney can have life-lessons in their storylines, too! :D

Funny what sticks in our heads to become helpful . . . :thumbsup:

ibrowse17
01-26-2011, 06:10 AM
That so totally rocks:thumbsup:

DizneyRox
01-26-2011, 12:00 PM
DizneyRox, I have a laptop and couldn't open it to look at the fan, (I don't have a tiny screwdriver! lol!) but anyway I didn't even know I could replace a fan myself, and cheaply too! Thanks for the info.

However, I did think it was just really cool how watching that movie made me wonder if that could be the issue with my computer. ;)
Yes, the tight spaces inside a laptop do make cleaning a problem. Actually, the canned air often doesn't have enough umph to really do a good job on them. I use a compressor most of the time, or good old lung power can be pretty good as well.

And yes, laptop fans sometimes are a pain to find, but google will probably help you locate them. If you're having trouble, chances are others have had problems as well.

I've taken apart a fair number of laptops, I find the directions for disassembly on the net. Some are harder than others, but really, if it's bad enough that you're looking to get a new computer, what's the harm in attempting to fix it yourself. Worst case, you get a new laptop anyway, best case you just saved yourself a few hundred dollars (or more).