PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars weekends

RaLiErBe
01-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Have I missed an annoucement. Everyone seems to be guessing when Star Wars weekends will be. Don't they usually annouce them by now?:confused: We are waiting for those dates because that is the main purpose of our trip this time. When will the official annoucement come?? Impatiently waiting to make reservations...

RBrooksC
01-24-2011, 08:07 PM
I haven't really heard an official announcement, but with Star Tours reopening Friday, May 20th, it isn't a stretch to guess Star Wars Weekends will begin then.

KylesMom
01-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Have I missed an annoucement. Everyone seems to be guessing when Star Wars weekends will be. Don't they usually annouce them by now?:confused: It's always a guessing game around this time of year when they will announce the next SWW. I think the earliest they ever announced it was last year on the Disney blog site, and it was the last week of January or thereabouts. I'm certain they'll announce something concrete soon - and I would speculate that RBrooks is correct - but I would hold off on making any reservations that can't be changed until the official announcement if that's indeed going to be the highlight of your trip.

We've gone to many SWW over the years, and you're in for a treat! :darth:

RBrooksC
01-25-2011, 08:25 AM
We made an educated guess that Star Wars Weekends would be starting May 20th. If it happens, it happens.

If not, we still have our vacation.

MOJoe
01-25-2011, 05:08 PM
No official word on SWW, but May 20th is a good bet. Disney's CM newsletter recently stated SWW would be held in May and June this year, so the first weekend could be the 27th. But since Star Tours the Adventures Continue is slated to open the 20th, everyone thinks that will also be the opening weekend for SWW. Makes sense, but yeah, it still is just a guess.

Many times Disney lets it be known when SWW will occur in January. But they have waited till the first week of February to give official word. So really, we should be getting something concrete very soon. In any case, i've already placed my bets. We're booked for a week, starting May 22nd. :trooper: :darth: :trooper: Can't wait!

RaLiErBe
01-25-2011, 09:13 PM
I see alot of folks thinking it will happen with the opening of Star Tours. May&June so my next question is how many weekends does Disney do SWW? and does it matter if you go the first or last or are they all the same? My little Star Wars geeks are highly anticipating this trip and we want to make the most of it!!
:D:D:D

KylesMom
01-25-2011, 11:25 PM
Usually SWW happens for four consecutive weekends, Friday mornings through Sundays. Once they did carry over for six or so weekends due to the sheer popularity of the event and the release of (Ep6-or do you consider it Ep3)? but it's only been once in my recollection since 2000. Some weekends have been May only (our early years), and one was held only in June. That's why I've said to wait until the dates are officially announced until you make your concrete plans such as airfare if you can't make a fee-free change.

I would guess that IF Star Tours 2.0 is truly going to open during the third weekend (May 20) it will be truly CRAZY. Not only do you have the seasonal passholders who will still have access to the parks at this time who want to see the new attraction, but the hoards of Star Wars fans who have been awaiting this attraction for something like five years when the rumours first started. You just never know what Disney/Lucas has planned, however.

I would tend to hit perhaps the third weekend if the official dates begin on 5/20 - after Memorial Day but before the last weekend.

As an aside, the longest lines we've EVER waited in line for at Disney during late spring/summertime hours was: A) The SWW merchandise line in 2001 and B) A meet and greet with Darth Vader - both over two hours each! We've never even attempted getting there at 4 or 5 am to get in line for the FP's given out for the Star War "real" celebrity meet and greets. The characters, in our opinion, have been much more worth the effort!

If you have any questions on what may be the best strategy, please PM me - or do a site search on Star Wars Weekends. Trust me, you can get around the crowds and the lines with a little planning. My DS (who's almost 13 now) has a room dedicated to Star Wars & Star Wars Weekend merchandise over the years, and it is WELL worth the effort if you have young padawans!

P.S. - I currently am wearing my SWW shirt that I got in 2005 as I post this - way cool stuff!

MOJoe
01-26-2011, 12:45 PM
KylesMom, (may i call you Carol?) makes some great points. I'm just chiming in to give some emphasis.

I would not be surprised in the least if this was the most heavily attended SWW in recent years, due to Star Tours 2. And thus, i would also not be surprised if.....

The dates for SWW include more than 4 weekends.

Some very special guests are on hand for the first weekend. i.e. George Lucas, Carrie Fisher, Anthony Daniels and such.

The line for Star Tours extends past the Indy Stunt Spectacular, all the way back to Echo Lake.

Any merchandise featuring the new Star Tours attraction will be almost as hard to get as Darth Vaders autograph.

In spite of huge crowds, and long lines for nearly everything, this will be immensely fun.

All this is just speculation on my part. That is, except for the fun part. I'm certain of that. See you in line! :trooper: :trooper: :trooper:

joanna71985
01-26-2011, 02:34 PM
I also agree that this will most likely be the busiest SWW (all because of Star Tours reopening).

Donald_Quackers
01-26-2011, 09:12 PM
I made my booking for BLT using points for the first weekend in June, which seems to be a safe bet it will still be SWW at that time (based on past SWW).

And like another poster said, if it isn't, I'm still at the world.

This will be my first trip as a new DVC member.

faline
01-27-2011, 10:22 AM
This will be my first trip as a new DVC member.

Welcome home!