PDA

View Full Version : MS/mild stroke

jimsgal05
01-24-2011, 06:27 PM
Okay My soon to be husband and I are going to Disney for our honeymoon in May..have it all set at the poly...woot woot...but I suffered a TIA..as known as mild stoke..I am fine but also been told I have MS...been having issues with standing...I walk like a drunken sailor...lol..So I am getting a GAC... because standing and lack of balance don't make for a very happy person...and I am afriad I am going to fall on another guest..... My question is since MS is new to me...and tips..I feel like.. well confussed...but i am counting the days till MAY

thank you

peemagg
01-24-2011, 06:50 PM
You are going to find that Disney's answer for stamina and mobility issues is to use a wheelchair or ECV.

I also possibly have MS and find that an ECV to be the best for me. It allows me the option to walk when I can, and it saves my energy and allows me to rest when I need it. I would recommend you looking into a ECV or at least a wheelchair.

With the wheelchair you could push it to help you with your balance.

faline
01-24-2011, 08:00 PM
As I understand it, heat and sunlight also impact MS symptoms so you should probably check with your doctors about this and how to mitigate any effects that may be caused by this.

jimsgal05
01-25-2011, 09:42 AM
thank you both... I am going back to Dr's to get more info...I love the shade not huge sunlight gal...I will probably do a wheelchair instead of those scooters..
and rent one there :mickey:

hope you all have a magical day!!

Lori

AndrewJackson
03-06-2011, 05:42 PM
I was diagnosed with MS three years ago. I have done 2 WDW trips since, and I am doing a 3rd trip in 2 weeks.

MS is different for everyone, however my biggest problem is stairs. I requested a 1st floor room at POR and OKW on our last two trips, and they obliged.

I did not request a GAC, mostly because I did not want to use a wheelchair or an ECV. I knew that I should do that first before asking for a GAC.

What I did instead was to sit out a ride here or there, to allow me to rest.

You do need to be very careful about your body temperature. Most MS patients have issues with fatigue. Getting hot during the day will really drain you. Also, it can cause a episode or flair up later. There are cooling vests you can buy. Most MS patients use these whe working out. Since you are going in May, I would recommend a cooling vest as well as some sort of spray bottle.

Have a great trip!

steamboat willy
03-08-2011, 08:59 AM
I have had MS fo 20 yrs. or so. Me & my husband go every 2 yrs. I have a motorized wheelchair, but find that is not easily driven with out running in to someone. My DH pushes me in my manual wheelchair, that way I can enjoy the surroundings even more & he actually enjoys it. Good exercise for him. I wouldn't even try to walk. Before I was in a wheel chair full time , I would walk some & ride some .
Going in May should be OK weather wise. Not to hot for me yet. We usually plan our trip in May or Sept. With the Flordia weather you can never tell! There are alot of rides in air-cond. & alot of shade trees.
I also go back to the resort in the afternoon ( warmest time of the day) and take a nap. That works wonders to renew your energy. WDW is very handicap accessible & the Cast Members are very helpful. Let me know any more questions.
Congrats on your Wedding! :congrats:

Steam Boats Wife :cheer: