PDA

View Full Version : ME question

slottedpig
01-24-2011, 05:05 PM
If my flight lands at 9:30 AM on a September Wednesday about when would I expect Magical Express to get me to my hotel ( Yacht Club)? I figure with a cab I would be in Epcot before World Showcase opens. I'll spring for it if it saves me a lot of time but not if we are talking 20 minutes. Any thoughts?

faline
01-24-2011, 05:38 PM
It's hard to tell exactly. At the outside, you should be at your resort within about 2 hours of your landing. It's possible you'll be there within an hour but it could be longer.

mook3y
01-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Even if it does take a little longer, we love having our bags taken straight from the plane to our room. That is a very nice perk of DE.

This last trip, we used a service to get to our resort and remembered how nice it was to go check in and head striaght off to a park and our luggage was in our room when we came back in the afternoon.

CleveRocks
01-25-2011, 07:50 AM
On average, there's no substantial difference in time between taking DME and taking a taxi. With DME, you don't have to go to baggage claim to wait for your bags, and that is the great equalizer with time. Everyone thinks about the wait for a bus (which sometimes can be very brief) and the possibility of multiple stops along the way, but few people consider the fact that with a taxi you have to wait at baggage claim and with DME you don't.

The average time from airplane exit to resort drop-off is 70 minutes. I've averaged 60 minutes (63, 57, 59). If I'd waited at baggage claim and then taken a taxi I wouldn't have gotten there substantially earlier.

The walk from the airplane to baggage claim (which includes a monorail ride) is at least 5 minutes, and up to 10 minutes depending on the location of your arrival gate. Then you can wait 10 minutes at baggage claim, maybe more. Then 5 minutes to walk down to Level 1 and actually load into the taxi, etc. Then a minimum of 25 minutes' drive to the resort. So we're at a bare minimum time of 45-50 minutes; any delay at baggage claim will add to that minimum.

And then there's DME for free with an average of 70 minutes.

For about $60 or so including tip, I'll save my money and risk taking 10-20 minutes more with DME.

The real reason to go for a taxi or car service over DME isn't time, but level of service. A taxi gives you a private ride and personalized service, two things DME can't give you. If those things are important to you, then the private ride is worth the money to you. But if those things aren't high priorities for you, then DME will get you there in a timely manner.

clausjo
01-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Does anyone know how many stops the Animal Kingdom Lodge makes and which stop is AKL?

faline
01-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Does anyone know how many stops the Animal Kingdom Lodge makes and which stop is AKL?

There is no set route. The driver decides the order of the stops.

SBETigg
01-27-2011, 12:31 PM
For about $60 or so including tip, I'll save my money and risk taking 10-20 minutes more with DME.

The real reason to go for a taxi or car service over DME isn't time, but level of service. A taxi gives you a private ride and personalized service, two things DME can't give you. If those things are important to you, then the private ride is worth the money to you. But if those things aren't high priorities for you, then DME will get you there in a timely manner.

I differ on this. In recent years, we've done DME twice and Quicksilver twice. For the price you pay for a cab, you might as well arrange a service-- it was actually cheaper for us the one time we did Quicksilver to the resort from airport and taxi back from resort to airport. And with Quicksilver (or any similar service), a driver waiting with your name on a card greets you. He helps with your bags (yes, level of service, awesome) but both times-- 30-40 minutes from deplaning to resort, including waiting for luggage. We had our luggage with us, didn't have to worry about if it would come to our room or go missing.

And 30-40 minutes! The faster we can get there, the better. On vacation, our time is money, too. Both times we've done DME (same resort both times, Grand Floridian), once was 55 minutes (not bad) and the other time was over two hours. The two hours was extremely frustrating. We just wanted to be there! Which is why we went with Quicksilver the next time. Not that I wouldn't give DME another shot. If money is an issue and you want a sweet, hassle-free (except for the waiting around), possibly very leisurely trip to your resort, DME is great. But if you're pressed for time and just want to be there, hire a car service. It will be faster, even with the baggage wait.

MOJoe
01-27-2011, 03:46 PM
I agree with SBETigg. Much better to arrange for a limo than find a taxi. I've taken DME and used a limo-service. DME is great, prompt and free. But a car service is fantastic, a real pleasure, and fast. Can you say V.I.P.? That's what it feels like.
However, if time is your primary concern, you can only shave off about half and hour using a limo. Is it worth it? Well, yes. But not for everyone, or every time.

luvdiznee
01-27-2011, 04:52 PM
But just wondering if you don't take the ME yourself, can you still have your luggage delivered to your room by them? We may take a Cab or Limo, in case we decide to make a stop. :mickey:

SBETigg
01-27-2011, 05:05 PM
But just wondering if you don't take the ME yourself, can you still have your luggage delivered to your room by them? We may take a Cab or Limo, in case we decide to make a stop. :mickey:

No, they won't take your luggage if you're not taking DME yourself.

luvdiznee
01-27-2011, 05:15 PM
No, they won't take your luggage if you're not taking DME yourself.

Thank you for that.:mickey:

HoosierDisneyFan
01-27-2011, 07:55 PM
I personally have had good experiences with ME. The only issue I ever had was when we arrived at MCO after 10PM (this was our scheduled arrival time). Had to pick up our own luggage (30 minute wait) and there was only 1 ME bus running at that time. We had multiple stops before our resort. I would suggest if anyone is arriving atfer 10pm, a taxi or limo would be a better bet. Before 10pm the free ME service is for me!

princessjojo
01-28-2011, 09:21 AM
We usually arrive early as well and use DME just about every time. Our feeling is that DME is free, and we don't have to worry about our luggage. We arrive at the hotel, check in and go straight to the park. And at that time of the morning, check-in could take you another 10-20 minutes, then you have to send your luggage to storage yourself which could take another 5-10 minutes. With DME you don't have to worry about the time dealing with luggage at the resort if your room isn't ready.

My honest thoughts is that if you're flight isn't due to arrive until 9:30am, assuming your flight arrives on time, you're going to be cutting it close if you want to make it to EPCOT by opening. You'll probably be exhausted from the rushing to get there.

Our last trip, our flight arrived early (8:30ish), and we were one of about 10 people at most on the bus. We were at our resort, checked in, and on our way to the parks by 9:45. It was great. We're doing that again this summer.

Dream'nDisney
01-28-2011, 05:47 PM
We love ME. It is part of our vacation experience. Watching the movies on the way really gets us in the Disney vacation mood! :mickey::cloud9:

CleveRocks
01-28-2011, 06:05 PM
For the price you pay for a cab, you might as well arrange a service-- it was actually cheaper for us the one time we did Quicksilver to the resort from airport and taxi back from resort to airport. And with Quicksilver (or any similar service), a driver waiting with your name on a card greets you. He helps with your bags (yes, level of service, awesome)

I agree with SBETigg. Much better to arrange for a limo than find a taxi.
Oh, I totally agree. I was just responding to the OP who mentioned taxi vs. DME.

But I completely agree with you on the car service vs. taxi thing. For roughly the same price, you get a much higher level of service and probably a nicer and cleaner vehicle with a car service than with a taxi. In other cities, I NEVER think of catching a taxi for a ride of that length, I always book a car service, including between my home and my airport.

But as far as language goes, I want to make sure people realize that in the livery industry there is a big difference between "limo" and car service. An actual limosine can run upwards of $200, rather than the car service (using a large sedan or SUV) costing in the area of about $60 one-way.

MOJoe
01-29-2011, 10:46 AM
But as far as language goes, I want to make sure people realize that in the livery industry there is a big difference between "limo" and car service. An actual limosine can run upwards of $200, rather than the car service (using a large sedan or SUV) costing in the area of about $60 one-way.

We're saying the same thing, but i should have been more clear. Cause it is a little confusing to those who have not done this. You contact a "Limosine Company" to arrange for "Car Service".

But just to show how loose the terminology can be, sometimes a "Taxi" turns out to be a "Shuttle" serving several customers at once. And sometimes, if you hire a Town Car, and they are all unavailable, you can end up with Limo Service anyway.

I love getting the upgrade, but hate being told that the van, with 8 other passengers in it, is a Taxi.