PDA

View Full Version : What are the problems when renting?

tad_tad
01-23-2011, 08:06 AM
I'm thinking about renting points for a trip at the beginning of next year. We're pretty interested in buying at some point, but not yet. I just wanted to know what logistical problems there might be when you rent points. I know that the person you're renting from has to make the reservation and that you need to be careful about checking into that person and proof of ownership.

It looks like we can get eight nights at BWV for less than the price of a moderate, so is there a reason why we shouldn't?

DizneyRox
01-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Proof of Ownership doesn't amount to much actually. I thnk what you mean is you need to check the trustworthyness of the owner.

The biggest problem with renting is trust. Member Services won't even give you the time of day, unless you are a member. So, you can't really do anything with Disney to verify the transaction, and Disney won't step in the assist you if you're been burned. The member could call up and cancel the stay at any point up until check-in.

Outside of that, staying DVC is usually a joy. Housekeeping doesn't come every day like at a "normal" hotel, unless you want to pay for it.

We prefer DVC over a normal hotel room however.

tad_tad
01-23-2011, 11:07 AM
I don't need housekeeping every day, so that's not a problem.

I guess that trust is the biggest part. Do people ever do contracts for these things? I mean, we're probably looking at close to $1,000 here and I'd hate to just hand that to someone without knowing exactly what I was getting. Is there a forum on Intercot for renting points? I've looked around some, but haven't found one. I know that there are other websites, but I'd feel safer here after being a member (albeit a fairly absent one when not planning a trip) for almost 12 years!

Are there any downsides to renting DVC points once you're in the World? Things that you don't get because you're renting the points?

dlpmikki
01-23-2011, 11:45 AM
There is no renting forum on Intercot. You can't get free dining plan with points but you can buy it. I've rented out points a couple of times, had a contract the first time but not the second. Trust both ways is the key.