PDA

View Full Version : To AP or to Not?

tad_tad
01-22-2011, 01:14 PM
So I'm in the beginning stages of planning a trip for next February, during the value season part of the month. I'm trying to figure out if if makes more sense to get premium annual passes, or just magic your way with park hopper & water park tickets for nine days.

1) We will probably stay at the Pop Century resort to save $$. Unless we could get enough of an AP discount on a moderate.

2) We may plan a January trip for the following year if we have AP's. I don't want to bank on it though. I want to know if it makes any sense to get it for one trip with 9 days of parks. (Or if it is at least close enough to make sense.)

3) Are there generally AP discounts during this part of the year? I don't want to get them and then find out that our hotel will be full price anyway.

Thanks for your input! Let me know if there are any other factors that may come into play here. And is there any reason at all not to go through Magical Journeys?

Strmchsr
01-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Generally to get value out of APs you need to stay 14 days at least (total). If that's your plan, then it'll probably be worth it. And, yes, there's usually AP discounts that time of the year, though not guaranteed.

No reason at all to not go with Magical Journeys. They are awesome and can do all the math for you to figure out if AP really is the best way to go.

CanadianWDWFan
01-22-2011, 01:54 PM
We will get an AP if we are planning two trips within the year. For instance we are going to go this summer and again next summer.

It has been posted many times that the break even point is around 11 days. We will typically use the AP for at least 20 park days.

Plus with the AP you can get the Table in Wonderland card for 20% discount on TS meals, adult beverages included, and at the food court at the Values and POFQ. Not too sure about the other food courts as I have not used them when I had the TIW card.

As for MJ, we never plan a trip without them. Terrisue is ALWAYS looking out for the best deal for us!:number1:

tad_tad
01-22-2011, 02:25 PM
All signs are leading toward yes on this one. I know that I'll want to go again (almost) a year later, so it certainly will help make that trip happen. And with all of the discounts, I just can't pass it up! Now, we just have to make time move forward about 11 months or so...

It will be two adults and a four-year-old. The only other question is whether we should all have AP's or not. I'm assuming that we should if we are going to go twice, right?

Daisy'sMom
01-22-2011, 04:34 PM
All signs are leading toward yes on this one. I know that I'll want to go again (almost) a year later, so it certainly will help make that trip happen. And with all of the discounts, I just can't pass it up! Now, we just have to make time move forward about 11 months or so...

It will be two adults and a four-year-old. The only other question is whether we should all have AP's or not. I'm assuming that we should if we are going to go twice, right?

Just remember, the AP is only for one year from your first use. So if you are planning another trip, make sure it's not a year after.:mickey:

tad_tad
01-22-2011, 05:08 PM
The second trip would be about 11.5 months after the first. :mickey:

faline
01-22-2011, 08:14 PM
I always advise folks to use the number of park days they will get to decide whether or not to get annual passes. If you get two trips within the same year and exceed the number of of park days that will surpass the break even point, then get the annual passes. Unless you spend lots of tine at the water parks or Disney Quest, I'd get the regular annual passes. If you do one water park day and/or Disney Quest day, I'd sugget paying out of pocket for that and you'll come out ahead.

I never advise basing annual pass purchase decision based on possible room discounts. If you happen to get a discount, then that's gravy!

The table in wonderland card is a terrific investment.

And, yes, if you decide to get annual passes, get them for the whole family.

tad_tad
01-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Well, now I'm thinking that we'll rent DVC points, so no AP discount there anyway. The Tables in Wonderland sounds pretty great though!

I'm thinking that the AP will make it a lot easier to decide to go back again... :blush:

eandrsmom
01-23-2011, 01:06 PM
The discount we're saving for 8 nights, more than made up the difference of a MYW park hopper ticket. You just need to figure out the math. (We're getting 40% off our room with an AP.)

MarkC
01-23-2011, 09:18 PM
We've been in that position and bought the AP on 3 separate occasions. In every case we were able to go ahead and take the 2nd trip, and it was great already having tickets paid for. On two of those times, we had a 3rd trip opportunity pop up due to bowl games, etc. and we even squeezed in a 3rd trip that we hadn't planned on. I would vote an emphatic yes.