PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Lodge-Anyone stay there recently

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-21-2011, 04:22 PM
I am looking to book our December trip in a couple of weeks and am so excited to be able to afford to stay in the Wilderness Lodge due to a PIN code. We've always wanted to stay there but haven't been able to afford it

...I know I am being paranoid but I saw a couple of bad reviews about worn rooms and uncomfortable beds and rooms being very small...now I am having second thoughts/Granted there were a lot of good reviews on that site too but still just wanted to check with Intercotees

So how long since they've refurnished? How do they compare size wise to a value?

Tygger7
01-21-2011, 04:52 PM
We just stayed at the WL in May 2010. The rooms have been recently refurbished...I know they were working on the updates during our 2006 trip, but they did the refurb in phases.

Personally, the WL is my all time favorite resort. We always talk about trying other resorts, but just can't bear the thought of not being at the lodge. The beds were wonderful..way better than the beds at Pop Century (we stayed there for 1 night, then transferred to WL). The rooms were by no means "run down" or "worn", and they are larger than the value resorts.

Don't worry or second guess your decision to stay there....I wouldn't hesitate to stay there or recommend it. In fact, I too hope to be there in Dec. 2011! :D

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Oh, already I feel better...thanks a bunch:thumbsup:

buzznwoodysmom
01-21-2011, 05:52 PM
We were there in June of 2010 and had no complaints about the condition of the rooms. We had spent a week at CBR, but decided to stay just one more night and called to book a room from the lobby of WL. We were going to just eat lunch there then get on the road for the drive home. Once we were there we realized how much we missed the lodge since we hadn't stayed there in years. We did encounter one problem. We booked a standard view room, but when we entered there was an awful smell. We then noticed that the carpets were wet and that what we were smelling was the not yet dried carpets. We called the front desk and they asked us to come right back down to the front desk. They apologized and immediately issued us an upgraded room, woodsview bunkbed room. After that we had a wonderful time with no other problems. We are headed back in just a little over 5 weeks and have WL booked for 7 nights and we couldn't be happier. I think you are going to love it, especially in Dec.

RedSoxFan
01-21-2011, 07:46 PM
We stayed there in Dec 2010. Loved it there. The room was spacious and the beds were very comfortable. Had a nice view of the pool/woods of the villas. The pool looked very nice; but it was cold when we went so we didn't go swimming. The girls did use the hot tub a couple of times and enjoyed. Food court was adequate. Transportation was very good. Boat ride to MK was quick and a nice change from the busses. Enjoy!!

BTM
01-21-2011, 08:31 PM
We have stayed at the WL twice. Once in Oct of 09 and again this past Dec. Both times we were very happy with the resort. The rooms are smaller than other deluxes but still quite nice. I think the size of the rooms compare to the Mods but we don't spend much time in the room so that's not a big deal for us. Our son loves the bunk beds. Since you are going in Dec, I would def recommend the WL. The Christmas decorations in the lobby are great and very much put us in the spirit. We have a small child so we spend a lot of time at MK and the boat service to that park is great.

KylesMom
01-21-2011, 08:50 PM
The first year we stayed at WL (2006) they were completely refurbing the rooms. We've stayed there for the past five years with all different views, and have never encountered a room that looked "worn". We'll be returning in July for our 6th stay . . . 20th Wedding Anniversary.

As far as uncomfortable beds, that's what originally made us move up from Value/Mods to Deluxe. DH is 6'-5.5" and I'm no shorty. Double beds just didn't work for our family. We've always found our queen beds perfect at WL - we get a good nights' sleep & are ready to go each day. The extra blankets (for me) and pillows (for DH) make the stay all that more comfortable. I've had two major back surgeries & if I think the beds are comfortable, that's saying something.

Yes, a standard WL room is smaller than the CR rooms which we stayed at in 2004 & 2005. However, we've never had any problems - we have plenty of room for our suitcases and other "stuff" that we bring for a 15-day trip.

Remember that you'll always read more bad stuff than good with online reviews. Don't get discouraged. The lodge is majestic and has become our favorite resort! :mickey:

How do they compare to a Value? They don't. We've stayed at each of the All Stars & there simply is no comparison.

I would also like to add that having a balcony to sit & relax at the end of the day is fabulous. Some of our most relaxing times of the day have been chillin' out at WL at the end of the day out there!

Crow
01-25-2011, 03:25 PM
its my fav deluxe of the ones ive stayed in for the atmosphere. the boat to MK is different than having to ride the bus all the time.
Id rather b right by Epcot, but for me WL was better than BC in other regards. AP is a good place to eat. Its nice to be able to sit in lobby or balcony to enjoy things. Walk to FT W (about a mile). beach. gift shop.
Ill b there in March so will report on it after

Mousemates
01-26-2011, 12:10 PM
We stayed there for four nights back in September of 2010 and had a great stay. I cannot tell you for sure when our room was last refurbed, but I can tell you that the furnishings did not look either tired or worn and that everything was in tip-top shape.

The WL is a wonderfully relaxing resort to actually be at...as others have said the rooms are not as large as the other MK deluxe resorts, but they are not cramped by any means. The whole resort has a very cozy feel to it and for a December stay I can't imagine a better choice. (By the way, they really do Christmas up right in terms of their decorations).

beksy
01-27-2011, 09:42 AM
I was really excited to hear all of the great reports. I've wanted to stay here for years (since I saw them building it actually) but always got vetoed. When we were looking at resorts to stay at for our honeymoon, my fiancee was of course focusing on price tag UNTIL I pulled the WL up. He took one look at it and said "that's the one!" I wasn't about to argue...he even decided we should get a honeymoon room! I've never stayed concierge so that's exciting. His entire view, after seeing this resort, has changed from pricing everything to "we only have one honeymoon." :thumbsup:

LudwigVonDrake
01-27-2011, 02:58 PM
I stayed there last July and LOVED it. No problems at all. ENJOY!! :wave:

PetefromRI
01-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Stayed last month for the 1st time.What a beautiful resort.Perfect for Christmas time.It was to cold to swim much but the hot tubs were nice and the spa was awesome.All of the restuarants were good especially Artist Point.One of our favorite resorts especially during the holidays.I spent hours between the main lobby and the villas lobby reading and relaxing.

Goofy4TheWorld
01-27-2011, 11:16 PM
I spent hours between the main lobby and the villas lobby reading and relaxing.

... and I spent several minutes (using all my fingers and several of my toes) in December 2010 counting the very large number of people stone-cold asleep in the rocking chairs in the lobby of the WL! :D

edit: I now see you went in Dec 2010 so it might have been you Pete!

PetefromRI
01-28-2011, 02:01 PM
... and I spent several minutes (using all my fingers and several of my toes) in December 2010 counting the very large number of people stone-cold asleep in the rocking chairs in the lobby of the WL! :D

edit: I now see you went in Dec 2010 so it might have been you Pete!
It very well may have been me!

PirateLover
01-28-2011, 07:49 PM
We booked a honeymoon room (club level) for our honeymoon this past June. Upon arrival we found out we were upgraded to the Yosemite Suite, the 2nd largest room in the building!! It had an amazing view of the resort. We found the staff to be incredibly helpful (not just club level but the entire resort). The bar tenders at both the pool bar and inside at the Territory Lounge were quite entertaining. I cannot speak to regular rooms since this was the only time we stayed there, but based on service, theme, and overall ambiance/atmosphere, I'd stay there again in a heartbeat!

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-31-2011, 11:25 AM
WooHoo, we booked it! Thanks for the positive reports:mickey: