PDA

View Full Version : a couple may vs september questions

dyin tago
01-21-2011, 01:05 PM
hi,
dw and I are booked for 10 nights in september with free dining we have done september a few times and enjoyed the low crowds but the heat and humidity is a killer!:fan:

we now have the opportunity to go in early april or may. would early may be just as hot as september? would crowds be a lot higher than september?

we could also wait until november as we hear that is a super good time for crowds and nice weather.

forever a child
01-21-2011, 01:15 PM
We have never gone during Sept (this year will be our first Sept visit) but we have visited during May and April. My thought is May is less hot and humid...only because it seems early enough in the season to vary in weather temperatures and still get some possible cooler days. I think April is going to be more crowded than you are perhaps used to in Sept but the weather should definitely be cooler and less humid. I think by september with summer heat it is just a given it will still be warm/hot. That's just my opinion...I am sure someone else will come along who has more experience with Florida weather. ;)

faline
01-21-2011, 01:26 PM
I've been in both May and September. May is quite hot and humid - not sure if it's a bit cooler than September - if it is, it's not by much.

May crowds have typically been manageable though I keep hearing others report that they have been increasing over the last few years.

I'd stay away from late April this year as Easter will be at the very end of April this year. This may also complicate May crowds as a number of folks may delay their vacation trip until after the Easter holiday week.

Mogie
01-21-2011, 01:32 PM
We have strictly been going in Sept the past few years and it is hot. But, if you try going the last week of September you will find that the temperature has dropped a few degrees and you will probably have most days in the manageable 85 degree area with mild humidity and very comfortable nights.

It is hot in september...but remember that is the trade off for miniscule crowds..just think of all the time youll spend in the AC in attractions and not sifting through crowds in the heat!

Strmchsr
01-21-2011, 01:46 PM
May is iffy in terms of heat. The last two years have been low to mid 90s, so definitely still quite warm. Also, crowds are manageable, but have been growing considerably. 2010 seemed more crowded than 2009 and 2009 was more crowded than any other time I've been in early May. Fact is, it just doesn't seem like there is a "low crowd" time any more so just go when it's convenient for you.

wdwluv
01-21-2011, 01:51 PM
May 2010 - HOT HOT HOT! Mid to upper 90's (same as it was for us in 2009) and May 2010 crowd by 3pm was CONSIDERABLY larger than it was May 2009.

mook3y
01-21-2011, 02:01 PM
we have done 3 trips in September and our last in May.

We thought it was pretty close to the same kind of weather.

On average, it was maybe a couple of degree's cooler in May.

The biggest difference we noticed was there were no love bugs in May.

mickeefan
01-21-2011, 05:41 PM
We prefer May due to the Flower & Garden Festival going on until the 15th.
The topiaries are really something to see.

WDW&MK
01-21-2011, 06:13 PM
We always used to go last week in April thru the first week in May. The weather is about the same temperature as in Sept, but not as humid and there seems to be less of a chance of rain/thunderstorms in May as opposed to Sept (Sept is hurricane season).

As for the crowds, they have been increasing over the years and although May is fairly light (as opposed to other times of the year) there are a LOT of school groups. I don't think they necessarily stay on the grounds but they are in the parks. Which add to the crowd level and also the groups tend to be jr high and high school. The high schoolers are not so bad, but the jr high kids with limited supervision wears on my nerves - especially if we are in front or behind a group of them in que.

KennyandKim
01-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Now I'm second guessing our trip for Sept 18-24. Im not good with heat and with red hair we sun burn just looking at the sun

javamama
01-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Last May we arrived the 1st it was mid to upper 90's the entire week, and the first two days were packed. I thought it was spring break all over again, totally crazy!!

mook3y
01-22-2011, 11:52 PM
Last May we arrived the 1st it was mid to upper 90's the entire week, and the first two days were packed. I thought it was spring break all over again, totally crazy!!

We were going to go then too, but Wendy from Magical Journey's warned us about school breaks at so we moved our vacation back a little bit.

yet another reason for using MJ is they so know the travel seasons.

TheVBs
01-23-2011, 08:46 AM
We've been a couple times during both of those months. While we had one May trip that was cooler, I would say the temps were fairly comperable for the other trips. We prefer Sept. for the lower crowd levels.

mom2morgan
01-23-2011, 12:16 PM
I'm with you there! My husband is of totally different constitution and colouring, and really wants to go in a "hot" month. But one of my little red-heads is in Hawaii right now (with friends, lucky kid) and she says she has not burned at all because she's been carefull with hat, sunscreen, and light-weight long sleeved t-shirts. I'm willing to risk it at Disney, but just be careful. (First time we went in December I got a bad burn!)

Now I'm second guessing our trip for Sept 18-24. Im not good with heat and with red hair we sun burn just looking at the sun

nkereina
01-24-2011, 02:34 PM
I was there end of April through early May last year and didn't find the heat to be real bad and found the crowds to be moderate. I haven't been in September, but I'm going the last week of September this year so I've researched it a lot and found this is truly the time with the lowest crowd numbers historically. I'm going at the end of the month hoping for slightly cooler temps, and also hoping to avoid some storms. October's average rainfall is significantly less than September. Also, my dates slightly overlap with the Food & Wine fest which is a plus!