PDA

View Full Version : Go Steelers

BraddyB
01-21-2011, 11:18 AM
**BREAKING NEWS** New York is sending 53 Jets to Pittsburgh to help fly the Steelers to Dallas for the Superbowl**

Let's Go Steelers !!!!

Momto3littlemice
01-21-2011, 11:38 AM
We'll be waving our terrible towels as part of Steeler Nation!!! Let's bring home a win boys!!!:thumbsup:

Ian
01-21-2011, 01:02 PM
:ack:

Go Jets!

BraddyB
01-21-2011, 01:32 PM
:haha:

:ack:

Go Jets!

BraddyB
01-21-2011, 01:34 PM
I'm just hoping for a good game with good calls. Don't want the ref's to decide the outcome.

Scar
01-21-2011, 02:00 PM
I can sum up in two words why The Jets will win...

Polamalu's ankle.

BraddyB
01-21-2011, 02:08 PM

Polamalu's ankle.

Is Rex focusing on feet again :rotfl:

I have two words why The Steelers win...

Heath Miller

Pagan
01-21-2011, 02:28 PM

Polamalu's ankle.
Polamalu didn't play the last game, and it took a kickoff return and a safety for the Jets to win, as the Steeler defense held them to 13 offensive points.

Not only is an 80% Troy better than none, but with Heath Miller back the tight end position - which has been a killer against the Jets D all year - is improved.

SBETigg
01-21-2011, 02:33 PM
Oh, I would love to see the Steelers win. I'm all for them. Steelers!

Ian
01-21-2011, 03:27 PM
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

#1donaldfan
01-21-2011, 03:28 PM
The Steelers win it all this year...not a doubt and no worries......!!!!! 7 Rings is as rare a thing as the 6 we currently claim !!!! :cool:

lettripp
01-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Go Steelers!!!

The Jets are my new "Colts" as a Pats fan...

kaylamag
01-21-2011, 08:18 PM
The FAA has issued a travel alert for Pittsburgh for Sunday, January 23. The agency anticipates the catastrophic crash of jets, due to a MASSIVE steel curtain. The FAA further advises, however, that this travel alert does not apply to air traffic at Pittsburgh International Airport. The only jets at risk are the ones attempting to land at Heinz Field. Here We Go!!!!!!!!!!!!

RedSoxFan
01-21-2011, 09:23 PM
go steelers!!!

The jets are my new "colts" as a pats fan...

i agree!!

gueli
01-21-2011, 10:08 PM
As a long suffering Jets fan-

I expect a fantastic game on sunday. It will be very cold, and tough on both teams.

With that said-
I have liked the steelers since the '70s. (scary aint it). They have a good team, and they will be tough to beat.

The last game the 2 teams played - means NOTHING. The jets can take away from that win only 1 thing- They could win in Pittsburgh.

many people feel the Jets cannot win. That Troy and heath miller will be too tough to stop, or will be too much of a factor. That there is no way the Jets offense will get anything against the steelers with troy playing.

I can only wish the steelers Luck.

For me- I will be rooting for my favorite team, the one with 40 years of misery, of shoulda coulda woulda and a healthy dose of IF only...
You Know those same old JETS...

Go J E T S
Jetsjetsjets

:thumbsup:

Enjoy the Game :beer:

WDWfanatic742
01-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Please please please win. I don't want to have to listen to Rex Ryan for another two weeks...

Dirty Bird Street
01-22-2011, 08:37 AM
It's not so much that I want the Steelers to win (as a lifelong Pats fan, I can never wish such a thing). Instead, I really want the Jets to lose—and it's not so much because of last weekend, more so that so many Jets players are really crummy people off the field.

Also, the Jets losing is revenge for all those times stupid local broadcast coverage rules made me watch a really bad Jets game as opposed to the good nationally-broadcast game—or, as had happened a few times the past few years, they cut away from the end of a really close game that ran long to go to the start of a Jets game. Thank heavens we caught the kickoff! Who wants to know how that tie game with 1:20 left in the 4th ended?

Not that I'm bitter or anything...

BraddyB
01-23-2011, 10:05 PM
I gotta a feeling....Pittsburgh's going to the Super Bowl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hammer
01-23-2011, 11:22 PM
Instead, I really want the Jets to lose—and it's not so much because of last weekend, more so that so many Jets players are really crummy people off the field.

I would hardly call Ben Roethlisberger a "good guy" :down: . He is a great player on the field, not so much off it.

WDWfanatic742
01-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Yay, I got both of my picks right finally after going 0-4 last week...least Rex is gone. I won't have to hear him for another 6 months. Probably the one good side to the lockout if we get to that :laughing:

Pagan
01-24-2011, 11:34 AM
I would hardly call Ben Roethlisberger a "good guy" :down: . He is a great player on the field, not so much off it.
I'm curious as to why the allegations against Ben won't go away, yet Mark Sanchez was arrested for the same thing and you never hear a peep about it.

Melanie
01-24-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm curious as to why the allegations against Ben won't go away, yet Mark Sanchez was arrested for the same thing and you never hear a peep about it.

They don't go away I guess because he keeps repeating them?

I didn't know that about Sanchez and just googled it. Looks like charges were never filed and he's stayed out of trouble since.

Hammer
01-24-2011, 11:56 AM
I think, at least for me, it is because it has happened more than once with Ben. Once it happened a second time, I feel it has more validity.

You know the saying:If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it is probably a duck.

ETA- and Mel and I once again post at the same time!

BraddyB
01-24-2011, 01:46 PM
People are quick to judge Ben, and yes he did bring some of it onto himself in poor judgement.

But can someone tell me how Brett Favre still keeps dodging the bullet?

Melanie
01-24-2011, 03:14 PM
People are quick to judge Ben, and yes he did bring some of it onto himself in poor judgement.

:confused: Quick to judge? IMO, he brought all of it onto himself with his poor judgement.

And Brett Favre is not a great person either.

The mega-star pro athletes who are really good people are few and far between, which is a shame.

yjgirl32
01-24-2011, 04:01 PM
At least (as far as I know) a Steelers coach/player/trainer- whoever didn't blatenly trip a guy running with the ball (Jets vs Dolphins game) That was so sad to watch- how pathetic.

As far as Ben being a bad guy- hhmmm if memory serves me a Baltimore Ravens player killed someone and he was still allowed to play AFTER being convicted. Same with the all mighty VICK. I agree there are not too many athletes that are good guys- mostly their own fault.

Pagan
01-24-2011, 04:40 PM
When allegations like these are brought about, I tend to give the athlete the benefit of the doubt.

High profile, very wealthy, testosterone laden...easy targets for gold diggers. Fairly simple for a woman to lure an athlete into an intimate encounter, then cry wolf afterward.

As for the Ravens player "killing someone,' that was Ray Lewis.

Scar
01-24-2011, 06:52 PM
The mega-star pro athletes who are really good people are few and far between, which is a shame.Which is one of the reasons why I love Eli... The worst thing he's been accused of is antiquing with his mother.

Melanie
01-24-2011, 08:56 PM
When allegations like these are brought about, I tend to give the athlete the benefit of the doubt.

I usually do as well....the first time.

Pagan
01-24-2011, 09:56 PM
I usually do as well....the first time.
C'mon Mel, ever hear of piling on? One does it and the rest say "MY TURN!"

Like those two massage therapists who now - years later - come out about Favre AFTER Jen Sterger did?

Hammer
01-24-2011, 11:44 PM

High profile, very wealthy, testosterone laden...easy targets for gold diggers. Fairly simple for a woman to lure an athlete into an intimate encounter, then cry wolf afterward.

C'mon Mel, ever hear of piling on? One does it and the rest say "MY TURN!"

Like those two massage therapists who now - years later - come out about Favre AFTER Jen Sterger did?

Or maybe once one woman has the courage to speak up, it lets other women know they aren't alone. Check the statistics sometime of the number of sexual assaults which go unreported.

Ed
01-25-2011, 08:58 AM
As far as Ben being a bad guy- hhmmm if memory serves me a Baltimore Ravens player killed someone and he was still allowed to play AFTER being convicted.

As for the Ravens player "killing someone,' that was Ray Lewis.

Get the facts straight. Ray Lewis was convicted only of a misdemeanor - obstruction of justice - and despite his testifying against the two other people involved in this case, they were acquitted. No one was convicted of murder in that case.

Pagan
01-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Get the facts straight. Ray Lewis was convicted only of a misdemeanor - obstruction of justice - and despite his testifying against the two other people involved in this case, they were acquitted. No one was convicted of murder in that case.
Hence my quotation marks around "killing someone". ;)

Pagan
01-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Or maybe once one woman has the courage to speak up, it lets other women know they aren't alone. Check the statistics sometime of the number of sexual assaults which go unreported.
So basically it comes down to he said/she said. Of course, men will always take the guy's side until the facts are clear, and women will always take the woman's side. ;)

yjgirl32
01-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Sorry Ed- So he was still convicted.

princessgirls
01-25-2011, 11:11 AM
WHY WHY WHY do these Professional Athletes have a Personal Conduct Policy???

Because of all of the stuff that was mentioned here....

Big egos and money lead can lead a person down some poor roads...we have seen it, time and time again.

Personal Conduct Policy....yep...

Julie:mickey:

Ed
01-25-2011, 11:21 AM
Sorry Ed- So he was still convicted.

Your original post said ~~

a Baltimore Ravens player killed someone and he was still allowed to play AFTER being convicted.

The way that sentence is constructed implies that (1) he personally killed someone, and (2) that he was convicted of killing someone. That simply is untrue. He was convicted of a simple misdemeanor, not murder. In fact, no one was convicted of murder in that particular case.

There's a world of difference between being convicted of a misdemeanor and being convicted of murder.

gueli
01-26-2011, 05:55 AM

actually I never knew about this. Apparently as a 19 year old, sanchez was arrested, had dna samples taken, posted bail, and eventually the DA did not prosecute due to lack of evidence.

Now the question is what has he done since ?
the answer is NOTHING. heck even last sunday...

gueli
01-26-2011, 06:01 AM
At least (as far as I know) a Steelers coach/player/trainer- whoever didn't blatenly trip a guy running with the ball (Jets vs Dolphins game) That was so sad to watch- how pathetic.

As a Jets fan, I was shocked that someone outside of the players was trying to affect the outcome of the game.

Now I do not understand why this is here, as in the course of this discussion, except as a VERY cheap shot...

If you are calling into question the Jets coaching staff, and their reaction- it has been well documented. They suspended the strangth and conditioning coach indefinatly... I think managments position on this was quite clear. It was unacceptable and not the way The Jets expect their personell to act.

as for the second comment, taking swipes at vick- whose actions were inhumane, a person who lost it all, served Jail time, etc... only demeans your stance on Big Ben.

From my perspective, one time someone accuses him, I doubt the validity of the claim. the second time, brings into question his character, off the field. Hopefully ben has learned from his indiscretions and will be a better person for it.

gueli
01-26-2011, 06:09 AM
So basically it comes down to he said/she said. Of course, men will always take the guy's side until the facts are clear, and women will always take the woman's side. ;)

my last comment on this- it depends on the evidence. If it is he said/she said - I tend to take the innocent until proven otherwise.

kakn7294
01-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Personally, I'm very happy to have Roethlisberger as my team's quarterback and I'm thrilled we're heading for Dallas. It was great to walk around Disney World Sunday and Monday wearing our Steelers gear and carrying our Terrible Towels in anticipation of the game and then in celebration of the Steelers victory.

SBETigg
01-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Personally, I'm very happy to have Roethlisberger as my team's quarterback and I'm thrilled we're heading for Dallas. It was great to walk around Disney World Sunday and Monday wearing our Steelers gear and carrying our Terrible Towels in anticipation of the game and then in celebration of the Steelers victory.

I'm glad the Steelers won, and I'm really glad you got to enjoy it at your favorite place! How cool!

yjgirl32
01-26-2011, 09:23 AM
My point was that most players/coaches trainers are not all that innocent. Ben is not the only one to have accusations brought against him.

As far as Ray Lewis I don't think he got a game suspension for getting convicted of a crime but yet Ben who was not convicted of any crime had a 4 game suspension- nor did Vick- no suspension once he was able to return to the NFL after serving his prison sentence- just doesn't seem right to me.

Hammer
01-26-2011, 11:23 AM
My point was that most players/coaches trainers are not all that innocent. Ben is not the only one to have accusations brought against him.

As far as Ray Lewis I don't think he got a game suspension for getting convicted of a crime but yet Ben who was not convicted of any crime had a 4 game suspension- nor did Vick- no suspension once he was able to return to the NFL after serving his prison sentence- just doesn't seem right to me.

Michael Vick was suspended for the first 2 games of the 2009 season. As far as Ray Lewis, the commissioner was different. Under Roger Goodell that the suspensions for personal conduct came to be.

kakn7294
01-26-2011, 05:36 PM
I'm glad the Steelers won, and I'm really glad you got to enjoy it at your favorite place! How cool!Thanks Sherri! I just wish I could afford a trip to the Super Bowl!

gueli
01-27-2011, 12:08 AM

Your explanation (in your first line) makes sense...
I do wish you had said that back in your original post. and then continued on with your position.

I am a firm believer that everyone screws up, some more than others. I like to believe that people will learn from these mistakes, and be better people for it. ( I said this back when vick was being reinstated )

and good luck to the steelers. I think this could be quite the game...
:beer:

PirateLover
01-29-2011, 12:58 PM
NFL= National Felons League

I'm tired of all the back and forth (not just on this board but in my circle of friends and family) of which crime is worse than another etc. The fact that there are so many ex-convicts and guys accused but "never convicted" shows It all comes down to the level of talent and the almighty dollar. How quickly people forget your crimes when you're doing well on the field.

As far as it being "He said-she said" about how people feel about Big Ben, in my neck of the woods I know plenty of men who find his actions disgusting. Whether he actually committed a crime against those women or not, he clearly had a pattern of unacceptable behavior for a man in such a position or else he wouldn't have been suspended. He was the one going around plying women with drinks and then letting his bodyguards handle the damge. The woman bringing the most recent allegations dropped the case, and she and her attorney are the only ones who truly know why. I think it's really a shame to pass these woman off as "gold diggers" when none of except those involved truly know what happened.

Pagan
01-31-2011, 11:00 AM
As far as it being "He said-she said" about how people feel about Big Ben, in my neck of the woods I know plenty of men who find his actions disgusting. Whether he actually committed a crime against those women or not, he clearly had a pattern of unacceptable behavior for a man in such a position or else he wouldn't have been suspended. He was the one going around plying women with drinks and then letting his bodyguards handle the damge. The woman bringing the most recent allegations dropped the case, and she and her attorney are the only ones who truly know why. I think it's really a shame to pass these woman off as "gold diggers" when none of except those involved truly know what happened.
Since this was obviously directed at me, I'll answer.

I never said they these particular women were gold diggers. Please don't put words in my mouth. I said that athletes are the prime targets for gold diggers.

Duke Lacrosse team anyone? See how everyone pretty much had them hung, drawn and quartered for what they did to that "poor woman" before the truth came out?

Mike Tyson anyone? Do you really think he "forced himself" on that woman? Cause you know, she was so innocent that she thought they were going back to his hotel room at 2:00 am to play cards, right? And hey, even though the medical examiner said she showed not one sign of being forced to do anything, not one hint that there was any crime, he was thrown in jail and his career ruined.

All I said was that I give them the benefit of the doubt until they are PROVEN guilty.

Thousands of men in this country go to bars every weekend and ply women with drinks to try to get somewhere with them. Last time I checked, that's not a crime. Women also have the option of not accepting those drinks, am I wrong?

The fact that the media is so into celebrities' lives is what makes this into the story it is. And before anyone blasts me or calls me anything, think about this.

By today's standards, and with today's media, Babe Ruth would have been in jail and suspended.

Hammer
01-31-2011, 02:09 PM
All I said was that I give them the benefit of the doubt until they are PROVEN guilty.

Thousands of men in this country go to bars every weekend and ply women with drinks to try to get somewhere with them. Last time I checked, that's not a crime. Women also have the option of not accepting those drinks, am I wrong?

The fact that the media is so into celebrities' lives is what makes this into the story it is. And before anyone blasts me or calls me anything, think about this.

By today's standards, and with today's media, Babe Ruth would have been in jail and suspended.

So, according to this train of thought, I should never accept drinks from a man in a bar or anything that could possibly happen I am to blame? So trust no one, eh?

And Babe Ruth should have gone to jail for some of his actions which were covered up by the old boys' club.

Jeff
01-31-2011, 04:27 PM
Ok folks, please keep your discussion to the game at hand. This forum is not intended as the place to delve into the moral actions of professional athletes.

Pagan
01-31-2011, 04:41 PM
So, according to this train of thought, I should never accept drinks from a man in a bar or anything that could possibly happen I am to blame? So trust no one, eh?
Last comment and then back to the discussion at hand.

Unfortunately in this day and age, yes. You shouldn't trust anyone. If a man is buying a woman drink after drink after drink, or "plying them with drinks" which is what was said and what I replied to, he's obviously after one thing and one thing only. Therefore, if someone - in 2011 - isn't smart enough to figure that out, then they are to blame for whatever happens to them.

It's called common sense.