PDA

View Full Version : Our dining plans

lovin'fl
01-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Meant Our dining plans. So, we're not going to get the DDP...not a good value anymore. Our party will include: DH-38, Me-38, DS-14, twin DDs-12 and DS/friend-14. We are booked at AKL for 6 nights, but waitlisted for BWV. If we end up at AKL, here's our dining plans:

3 lunches at: Sanaa, 9 Dragons and Biergarten
4 dinners at: Boma, 'Ohana, Garden Grove(Swan) and .....need 1 more.
Here are the choices- Rainforest Cafe, T-Rex or Olivia's.

We, as DVC members, get 10-20% off all places above, except for Boma and 'Ohana. We will do early magic hours in the parks the days we're doing the lunches and 2 of those nights, we'll go off-property for dinner (we'll have a car). We'll book Garden Grove for the night we're going to Fantasmic. If we did Rainforest, we could pick the night AK has extra magic late hours. Or we could book the RC at Downtown or T-Rex, we always hit Downtown at least once. Olivia's is not the most pratical, but yummy.
Thanks!

SBETigg
01-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Looks like a good mix. I love Sanaa and Boma. I wouldn't choose any of your three possibilities for the one more, so no insight there. I like Raglan Road in Downtown Disney, but most often we skip DD in favor of more park/resort time.

Hammer
01-20-2011, 02:22 PM
First off, fixed your typo.

Like your choices, but remember, no sauerbraten or roulades at lunch.

Can't help with choices for your additional dinner. You also get at 10% off dinner at Raglan Road, Fulton's, Portabello, and Wolfgang Puck Cafe (which would be my choice).

antnyh
01-20-2011, 03:23 PM
We are new DVC members and are wondering how you get 10-20% off? Are you referring to the TIW card or just simply a discount? As for your post, we loved Teppon Edo and LeCellier in Epcot. T-Rex was good and surprisingly good food.

lovin'fl
01-20-2011, 03:40 PM
SBETigg- I've never done Raglan Road, but it is 10% off too, so I'll go check out the menu.

Hammer- Thanks for fixing my typo. I'd prefer to do Biergarten for dinner...would love to have the sauerbraten, but can't pass up on it being cheaper at lunch and we get the discount. I did lunch there once and there was no show, so I thought they didn't do the shows at lunch. But that other thread pointed out the times for shows, so I think I'll make and ADR for 1:00. I like the Wolfgang Puck express, so I'll check out the menu for the cafe too.

antnyh- If you show your DVC membership card, you get a 10-20% discount at certain places. The list is on www.dvcmember.com under member perks. Might be on intercot somewhere too. Maybe I'll cut and paste it here for you. Be back....

lovin'fl
01-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Captain's Grille at Disney's Yacht Club Resort
Take advantage of a 10% discount on lunch at this nifty nautical-themed café with offerings sure to please all you landlubbers—including beef, chicken, seafood, vegetarian meals and signature appetizers.

ESPN Club at Disney's BoardWalk Resort
Take advantage of a 10% discount on lunch every Monday through Friday and feast on satisfying clubhouse-style menu choices in this ultimate sports entertainment complex, featuring nonstop action and great food.

Big River Grille at Disney's BoardWalk Resort
Receive a 10% discount on lunch or dinner and feast on savory house specialties and frothy beers made in-house. Discount not valid on alcohol.

The Wave at Disney's Contemporary Resort
Take 10% off your breakfast and lunch tab and enjoy hearty American-style cuisine blended with world flavors at a great value.

Grand Floridian Café at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Drink in the sweeping views along the veranda that overlooks the courtyard and sparkling pool and receive a 10% discount on breakfast and lunch, from wonderful salads, soups and sandwiches to creative entrées.

The Turf Club Bar and Grill at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort
Get a 10% lunchtime discount on classic American fare, and enjoy the panoramic views of the Downtown Disney® Area and Disney's Lake Buena Vista Golf Course.

Sanaa at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge Resort
10% off for lunch at Sanaa, featuring rich African cuisine with Indian flavors for meals with ethnic flair.

Kouzzina at Disney's Boardwalk Resort
Receive a 10% discount for breakfast and enjoy renowned chef Cat Cora's time honored Mediterranean family recipes and personal favorites in a casual environment.

Olivia's Café at Disney's Old Key West Resort
Tempt your taste buds with flavorful, fresh Florida seafood and receive 10% off on all meals, from pan-seared crabcakes to grilled filet mignon, lobster and more.

Trail's End Restaurant at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground
Dig into the heartiest eatin' in the wilderness and dine on American down-home cooking at this all-you-care-to-enjoy buffet. 10% discount on breakfast and lunch.

Whispering Canyon Cafe at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Load up your family-style skillets with wood-smoked pulled pork and ribs, oven-roasted chicken and more as you enjoy stories, games, and even a song or two. 10% discount on breakfast and lunch.

antnyh
01-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Please ignore my ignorance, but what is the deal with getting the TIW card if we get 10% off anyway? Big thanks for the list!!!

lovin'fl
01-20-2011, 03:47 PM
Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park
Rainforest Café®
Enjoy a 10% discount on breakfast, lunch and dinner entrees for Members and up to three guests as you dine in an atmosphere reminiscent of a rain forest that features fantastic fare, along with animated wildlife and special effects. Call (407) 938-9100 for reservations.

Yak and Yeti
Indulge in delicious Pan-Asian cuisine and enjoy good-spirited family fun at this new restaurant located near Expedition Everest™. 10% discount on lunch and dinner entrees for Members and up to three Guests. Call (407) 824-9384 for reservations. Offer not valid at Local Foods Café.

Epcot®
Tutto Italia Ristorante
Savor the flavors of Italy from Liguria to Tuscany to Sicily. Enjoy handmade pasta done just al dente, fresh-baked bread and a mouthwatering menu of regional specialties — and everything is 10% off for lunch and dinner.

Biergarten Restaurant
Enjoy a 10% discount on lunch while enjoying German food and celebrating Oktoberfest year round!

Chefs de France (France pavilion)
Sample the fabulous French cuisine and receive a 20% discount on lunch only at this beautiful Parisian-style brasserie, featuring croque monsieur, salad Nicoise and other authentic gourmet specialties.

Nine Dragons Restaurant (China pavilion)
Enjoy a 20% discount at lunch only as you dine on delicious Cantonese, Mongolian, Szechuan, Hunan and Kiangche-style specialties while you sit among exquisitely carved wood figures and Chinese lanterns.

lovin'fl
01-20-2011, 03:49 PM
Cap'n Jack's Restaurant
Enjoy a 10% discount on lunch at this casual waterfront restaurant that serves scrumptious seafood and American dishes.

Fulton's Crab House
Ramble on down to this riverboat replica for a 20% discount on lunch and a 10% discount on dinner, and choose from over 50 fresh seafood selections including succulent steamed crab flown in daily from ports worldwide. Discounts do not include alcohol.

Portobello Yacht Club
Indulge in delicious Italian cuisine and receive a 20% discount on lunch and a 10% discount on dinner, including fresh coastal seafood, steak, pastas, pizzas, chicken and desserts. Discounts do not include alcohol. For reservations, please call (407) 934-8888†.

Rainforest Café® at Downtown Disney Marketplace
Enjoy a 10% discount on lunch and dinner entrees for Members and up to three guests as you dine in an atmosphere reminiscent of a rain forest that features fantastic fare, along with animated wildlife and special effects. Call (407) 827-8500 for reservations.

Raglan Road™ Irish Pub and Restaurant
Bask in the hospitality of the Emerald Isle as you dine on Irish fare with a modern flair. 10% discount on lunch and dinner (excluding alcohol).

House of Blues® Restaurant
Enjoy 20% off lunch (11 am - 4 pm) and dinner on such distinctive southern-inspired cuisine as Voodoo Shrimp, Jambalaya and White Chocolate Banana Bread Pudding. You can also get 20% off Sunday Gospel Brunch tickets purchased in advance. For larger parties, buy 3 tickets for Sunday Gospel Brunch and get one free (lowest priced ticket is free; up to a $30 value). Other restrictions apply. Not valid with any other offer. For reservations, call (407) 934-BLUE†.

Planet Hollywood®
Celebrate like a star with a 10% discount on lunch or dinner, non-alcoholic beverages and merchandise (not including sale items) amid some of Hollywood's greatest movie memorabilia, and try such temptations as World Famous Chicken Crunch, L.A. Lasagna, salads and grill items.

Wolfgang Puck Café
This lively restaurant serves the famous chef's unique fusion of Asian and California cuisine. Enjoy a 20% discount on lunch and 10% discount on dinner each day (excluding alcohol). For reservations, call (407) 938-9653.

Wetzel's Pretzels and Häagen-Dazs
Whether you want to warm up or cool off, this tempting duo has a treat for you. Take 20% off any food item from Wetzel's Pretzels, home of hot-from-the-oven, chewy and delicious pretzels or Häagen-Dazs, serving super premium ice cream, gelato, sorbet and frozen yogurt.

T-Rex Café
Unleash your prehistoric appetite at this dinosaur-themed family restaurant with a 10% discount on lunch and dinner entrees for Members and up to three guests. Call (407) 828-8739 for reservations.

lovin'fl
01-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Please ignore my ignorance, but what is the deal with getting the TIW card if we get 10% off anyway? Big thanks for the list!!!

Well, TIW...you get 20% off almost every place for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I looked into TIW card. It would cost me an extra $100 to get annual pass for 1 of us and then it's $75 for the TIW card, so $175 to save $20%. I figured it would not save us $175 or more...so we'll pass.

lovin'fl
01-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Cabana Bar & Grill
Savor sandwiches, salads, cold drinks and more right at poolside and receive a 20% discount. Open seasonally.

Fresh Mediterranean Market
Feast upon flavorful dishes of the Mediterranean and receive a 20% discount. Open for breakfast and lunch.

The Fountain
Stop by for crisp salads and an array of burgers, sandwiches and desserts, inclduing homemade and soft-serve ince cream to go. Open for lunch and dinner. Enjoy a 20% discount.

Garden Grove Café
Receive a 20% discount as you delight in American favorites in a sunny garden gazebo setting. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Sand Trap Bar and Grill
Treat yourself to a 10% lunchtime discount along with the crisp salads, flame-broiled burgers, delicious omelets and more.

Kimonos
Get in on the fun at this authentic sushi bar and lounge with nightly karaoke entertainment offering Members a 20% discount. Open for dinner only.

Splash Grill & Terrace
Make a splash at this relaxing veranda retreat. Soak in the great outdoors at this al fresco dining spot for tasty sandwiches and juicy, delectable burgers. Enjoy a 20% discount. Open seasonally for lunch and snacks.

Picabu
Visit this curious gallery of evocative art to enjoy some of America's favorite foods. Open for self-service dining 24 hours a day. Members receive a 20% discount. Discount applies to food only. Dining check must be paid at the restaurant and may not be charged to your room.

Hammer
01-20-2011, 09:44 PM
Well, TIW...you get 20% off almost every place for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I looked into TIW card. It would cost me an extra $100 to get annual pass for 1 of us and then it's $75 for the TIW card, so $175 to save $20%. I figured it would not save us $175 or more...so we'll pass.

Don't be so sure about not saving $175 with TiW. While you get 10% or 20% discount with DVC, you still need to pay for your tip (which will be more than 10%) and alcohol is not included in these discounts. By contrast, TiW will take the 20% off and add a 18% tip, in essence it pays your tips.

Example- I'm going to use a family of 4 (2 kids) for calculation purposes

Biergarten lunch-

With DVC- 2 adults @25.99-51.98, 2 kids@ 13.99-27.98
subtotal-79.96
10% discount- 8.00
new Subtotal- 71.96
6.5% sales tax- 4.68
Total-76.64
18% tip-13.79
total- 90.43

TiW- 2 adults @25.99-51.98, 2 kids@ 13.99-27.98
subtotal-79.96
20% discount- 16.00
new subtotal- 63.96
6.5% sales tax-4.16
total minus tip-68.12
18% tip (figured on original subtotal)-12.26
new total- 80.38

lovin'fl
01-20-2011, 10:57 PM
Hammer- Do you get a discount with the counter service places with TIW? Thanks.

Crow
01-21-2011, 12:18 PM
good to try diff places & w BOma & Biergarten there should b plenty to pick from for diff preferences.
as far as the pick for other Id avoid TRex, Rainforest has been a while & Ive never tried Olivias.

antnyh
01-21-2011, 03:27 PM
And what is wrong with TRex? I thought it was a great place and really didn't see any downside. It can be on the loud side, but so can Rainforest.

KylesMom
01-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Hammer- Do you get a discount with the counter service places with TIW? Thanks.

Minimal CS locations accept the TiW. For instance, if you are staying at a resort which does not have a TS restaurant, you can use it at the food court (for example, value resorts). In light of where you're staying, it's a moot point.

All of the CS places at AK currently accept the TiW card. There are a few other locations I'm not thinking of off the top of my head, but there aren't a whole lot. The focus is on TS locations.

This past trip, we saved $275 or thereabouts with the TiW card on non-signature dining and adult beverages. Since the card will still be good for our next trip in July, I estimate we will have saved roughly $550 on one membership card. I think we may have saved $10 with our A/P discount at the restaurants . . .

lovin'fl
01-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks!

My thought is, if we'd save $275 on this trip, but the cost to get the TIW card is $175, then we're really saving $100. If we just use DVC discount we will save less than $275, but more than $100. If we we're going back to WDW again within a year, it would be a fantastic deal...I'd get annual passes for all 5 of us and I'd get TIW card. But we don't plan to go back until 2014.

lovin'fl
01-22-2011, 11:05 AM
I think we're just going to stick with the 3 dinners and 3 lunches...1 for each day. When we do the lunches, we'll go off property for dinner. When we do the dinners, I'll make lunches or may do CS (DH wants to try a Toluca turkey leg and we both love Tangierine Cafe).

lovin'fl
01-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Actually, the TIW can be a better deal. I think we'll get annual passes for all 5 of us and the TIW and add a 5 night Christmas trip (the inlaws are wanting us to do). Can we use the same TIW card for both August and December trips? Thanks!!!!