PDA

View Full Version : What are you eating tonight?

Dulcee
01-19-2011, 06:23 PM
I love to cook and I'm trying to make out my menu for next month (yes I'm a nerd and plan a month of meals at a time) but I feel like I'm in a rut.

My fiance is working late tonight so its me and some homemade veggie fried rice with zucchini, carrot, onion and peppers.

So what are you eating tonight? I need some new week night ideas :)

luvdiznee
01-19-2011, 06:41 PM
The ribs I put in the crockpot this a.m. Picked up some KFC coleslaw. :cloud9:Just love that stuff. And making some barbecue beans. :cool:

Basket Mommy
01-19-2011, 06:45 PM
We had Crock Pot chicken & gravy with rice and green beans. Heat olive oil in a frying pan and sear both sides of 3-4 chicken breasts in the olive oil. Make sure you salt and pepper them. As those are cooking, mix together 2 cans of cream of chicken soup and one package of dry onion soup mix (or onion soup mix with mushrooms). When the chicken breasts are brown on both sides (they can still be pink in the middle), transfer them to a Crock Pot set on low. Pour the chicken soup mix over the chicken and let it cook 4-5 hours on low. Cook the rice and serve with the gravy poured over it. It's YUMMY. If you want thinner gravy, add a little water about 30 minutes before you are ready to eat.

Today I deglazed the pan with a little white wine (about 1/2 cup) and added that to the Crock Pot, too. I think it made the gravy better!

lynnek
01-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Thai Noodles with Peanut Sauce--just made them for the first time, actually. Really a quick meal, made with rice noodles and shrimp. Right amount of heat too. Needed something easy to shove at the kids prior to getting them to Tae Kwon Do. And yes, I like the asian theme of the night! They were amused.
And I do my menus ahead too--saves $$ as well as calories...maybe not a month out though:)

magicofdisney
01-19-2011, 07:11 PM
We're having breakfast for dinner tonight. It's a standby that can't go wrong.

If you're out of ideas, here's a service you may be interested in using. It's called emealz. You basically get a subscription to weekly menu plans. At the same time they give you the grocery list of what you need to buy to make the meals. I've been using the service for about 21 weeks now. I know it's 21 weeks because I keep a digital copy of my weekly plans. They offer a variety of plans; family, couples, gluten-free, large gatherings, etc. It costs $1.50 a week and they bill for 3mos at a time. Anyway, it's a great way to get new ideas. After a while I'll quite the service and just refer back to some of our favorite meals. :)

BrerGnat
01-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Barbecue chicken, sweet potato fries, corn, and ceasar salad. Banana pudding for dessert!

Last night, I made filet mignon steak sandwiches with caramelized onions and mozzarella cheese, on ciabatta buns, pressed panini style (thanks to the George Foreman grill), with salad.

Tomorrow, I'm making chicken fajitas.

mook3y
01-19-2011, 08:03 PM
not sure what you call it, but here is how you make it. :)

fry chicken breasts till cooked through and browned. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.

You need to let them cool completely.

Next in a bowl, mix ricotta cheese, minced garlic, oregano, basil (and/or Italian seasonings), sea salt and fresh ground pepper.

After the chicken breast is cooled - if its warm, the cheese mixture wont stay on.

put about a 3/4 inch layer of the ricotta mix covering the chicken breast.

Next you put a layer of chopped/diced tomatoes on top of the cheese.

Cover with provolone.

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

I usually turn on the broiler and brown the cheese up just before removing from the oven.

this with a veggie and saffron rice.

yummmm

cather74
01-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Portobello mushroom stuffed with seafood stuffing. yum! But i wish i had this :bar:

princessjojo
01-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Since we're in the middle of swim season and wrestling season, every night we're lucky to have something hot for dinner. Tonight, it's plain old Hamburger Helper, nothing more, nothing less.

Briansmom
01-19-2011, 08:44 PM
Barbecue chicken, sweet potato fries, corn, and ceasar salad. Banana pudding for dessert!

Girl, you sound like you're from down here in the deep south!! Yummy!

We had stuffed green peppers with salad. It was yummy, too! :mickey:

Disney4us2
01-19-2011, 09:28 PM
After I picked up DD from school we went out for sushi. From 3-5 they have happy hour and the sushi is just $1.00 per order. :eat::tasty:

Dakota Rose
01-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Cheese buttons and deer sausage.

And with that you just gotta know I'm from ND! LOL

JanetMegan
01-20-2011, 09:14 AM
I'm a menu nerd too ;) I'm about to shop for the next week and here are a few things we are having ;)

Tonight-pan roasted trout with an asparagus wild rice pilaf.
Tomorrow night-all the neighbors over (10) for steak and chicken fajitas, beans and rice, homemade cheese dip-the works!
Saturday night-Sweet and Soup pork with fried brown rice with lapchang.
Sunday night-Neely's Pork and Beef chili from the foodnetwork website.
Monday night-leftovers!!

I'm headed to our massive multicultural farmer's market this morning for supplies, I'm luckily prices are much cheaper there so I can afford to cook all of the above stuff.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Taco soup with mexican cornbread

PopPhan
01-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Today is my birthday, so my DW is taking me to a place called Smokey Bones!! Looking forward to some really gooey, messy ribs!! :D

princessgirls
01-20-2011, 11:01 AM
I was reaching my maximum stress load yesterday, worked all day, had to run errands after for DD #2's birthday party which is going to be today, Thursday afterschool (late, her actual birthday was in December), and needed to be leaving the house for a Girls group that meets at our church (kind of like Girls Scouts) at 6:30. My husband was home, and I never ever do this, but I told my husband to figure out dinner, and I didn't care what it was, to run with it. I didn't have time to cook, serve it, and clean it up. He did well. A nice chicken stir-fry of sorts. Hey, I was happy! It's the little things...
Julie:mickey:

Dragongirlx
01-20-2011, 11:35 AM
My sister is making me stir fry rabbit and noodles for dinner but we have also had fish stew, steak and stuffed mushrooms and chicken and fried rice this week.
We like to plan our meals a week in advance

Tiggerlovr9000
01-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Vegetable soup for us today. Perfect for this cold weather... I wil also make spaghetti sauce today for later in the week.. I find myself cooking 3 days a week usually cooking for 2 or 3 meals at a time so then I just reheat the other 4 days.:secret:

PlutoToo
01-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Trail's End Buffet!:thumbsup:

rubato
01-20-2011, 08:28 PM
I'm jealous of all your dinners. We are in freezer cleanout mode (have to do this about twice a year), so we're eating nasty Lean Cuisine dinners that I bought a few years ago and never made. But, we only have 2 left.

Then, I'm thawing one of the 4 turkeys we have in there. I have to come up with about 5 nights worth of recipes using turkey, but I do love turkey. Obviously just turkey, mashed potatoes and some sort of veggie the first night. Turkey enchiladas one night. Turkey and dumplings (my favorite) one night. I may attempt some turkey pot pies also. Should be pretty easy.

Then, it's on to about 10 pounds of hamburger. Why do I buy all this stuff??????

Disney4us2
01-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Tonight we are having oven roasted potato's and pinwheels and vegies. The pinwheels are flank steak that is rolled with spinach and provolone cheese.

luvdiznee
01-21-2011, 05:40 AM
I'm jealous of all your dinners. We are in freezer cleanout mode (have to do this about twice a year), so we're eating nasty Lean Cuisine dinners that I bought a few years ago and never made. But, we only have 2 left.

Then, I'm thawing one of the 4 turkeys we have in there. I have to come up with about 5 nights worth of recipes using turkey, but I do love turkey. Obviously just turkey, mashed potatoes and some sort of veggie the first night. Turkey enchiladas one night. Turkey and dumplings (my favorite) one night. I may attempt some turkey pot pies also. Should be pretty easy.

Then, it's on to about 10 pounds of hamburger. Why do I buy all this stuff??????

We made turkey egg rolls once for Thanksgiving.

JanetMegan
01-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Then, I'm thawing one of the 4 turkeys we have in there.

Sorry but I'm ROTFLOL right now, I'm such a patrack #1, can't resist a bargain #2 and #3 have three total freezers so I have to do this every once in awhile as well. I do so much better when I keep a written log of what is in the freezers but it's so hard to keep up with! Maybe a task for this weekend ;)

Ian
01-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Last night it was a stir fry teriyaki chicken with brown rice and homemade chocolate cake for dessert. :tasty:

Most night's it's takeout. ;)

NewDVCowner
01-21-2011, 11:57 AM

One of my favorite 'leftover turkey' recipe is a turkey and corn chili. Yum!

jennbunn
01-22-2011, 11:14 PM
our menu for the week: sunday johnsonville sausage and chips, monday ranch chicken and rice, tuesday taco's, wednesday: pizza, thurday fish and chips, and friday going out with my friends for dinner and drinks : )

JanetMegan
01-25-2011, 09:39 AM
To my fellow foodies, I made this AMAZING chili last night-(my changes in bold)
-----------------------------------------------------
Pat's Famous Beef and Pork Chili
Recipe courtesy The Neelys

Prep Time: 15 min (this is a little off, more like 30)
Cook Time: 1 hr 45 min
Level: Easy
Serves: 6 (large)servings

Ingredients
* 6 slices thick-cut applewood smoked bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
* 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 2 medium onions, finely chopped
* 1 red bell pepper, chopped
* 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
2 ea fresh jalapenos (one seeded for heat)
* 3 tablespoons chili powder (I used 4)
* 1 tablespoon ground cumin
* 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
* 2 teaspoons dried oregano
* 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 1 pound 85 percent lean ground beef
* 1 pound ground pork
* 1 cup beer (recommended: Budweiser-I used the whole can)
* 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (I used red chili beans)
* 1 (24-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
* 1 (24-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
* Lime wedges, for garnish
* Sour cream, for garnish
* Shredded Cheddar, for garnish
* Sliced scallions, for garnish

Directions

In large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until lightly crisp, stirring occasionally. Once the bacon is browned, add the garlic, onions, bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, chipotle chili powder, oregano, and smoked paprika and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook until the vegetables are tender and seasonings are aromatic. Add the beef and break it up with a wooden spoon. Once beef is broken up and beginning to brown, add the pork. Break up with wooden spoon like the beef, and brown, until no longer pink, roughly 4 minutes. Stir in the beer and beans. Toss together, then add the crushed and diced tomatoes. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper, if necessary. Transfer the chili to serving bowls and garnish with lime wedges, sour cream, shredded cheese, and sliced scallions.
------------------------------------------------------
By the way be sure to use a BIG pot, I started in my dutch oven and had to transfer to a stock type pot halfway through adding things when I realized it wouldn't fit in there (darn it!)