PDA

View Full Version : Kids dinner attire and activities

kbwatzka
01-18-2011, 04:37 PM
Hello everyone -

My family is taking our first ever cruise on the Dream next April to the Bahamas/Castaway Cay. I noticed that shorts are discouraged attire at dinner - does that also apply to children? I typically dress my boys in polo-type shirts and nice shorts for summer outings that are not too formal. Can I get away with that - or will they be the only ones in that kind of attire?

Also, do you pre-book your kids' time in the kids club areas? Does anyone have any advice about how much time kids like to spend in those areas? I have a 5 year old daughter, an 8 year old son and an 11 year old son - if that helps.

Thanks for your guidance!
Kelly

TracyL
01-22-2011, 07:45 PM
I don't have kids, so I can't help you with your Kids' Club questions. As to dinner attire, it would be better to put them in long pants (even jeans are OK) for dinner if you can. Think of it this way -- the dining rooms are air conditioned and may get chilly! I don't think a nice pair of "dressy" shorts would be a serious problem if you really don't want to put them in long pants though. What they're trying to discourage is people coming into the dining room in their swim trunks and flip flops. If you'd be comfortable taking your kids to dinner in the Grand Floridian in whatever you're dressing them in, you're going to be fine on the cruise.

I'm sure someone else can pipe up on the other question. The kids' activities looked awesome when we were on our cruise -- almost made me sorry I'm not a kid! :D

TammiMcMan
01-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Also, do you pre-book your kids' time in the kids club areas?No, all you need to do is register them, then it's drop off and pick up anytime you want.

Does anyone have any advice about how much time kids like to spend in those areas? I have a 5 year old daughter, an 8 year old son and an 11 year old son - if that helps.My daughter was 8 years old at the time of our family cruise and she loved spending time in the kids club. I want to say she was probably doing activities or having meals with them 3-4 hours per day. Basically, she'd take a look at the Navigator for that particular day and decide which activities she wanted to be involved in. Then we could plan our day ;) .

ElenitaB
01-23-2011, 07:48 PM
The first time we sailed my son was 11; the second time he was 12. For reference sake, the first trip was in November; the second was President's Week. That second trip I barely saw him! He loved it and made a lot of friends.

As for dinner attire, there used to be a night that was dressier on the Wonder (the 3- and 4-night cruises); he wore an Oxford shirt, tie and dress pants that night. The other nights he wore a polo shirt and nice khakis (full length) to dinner. I preferred that he be over- and not underdressed for dinner. After dinner, only one night did he go back to the cabin to change.