PDA

View Full Version : Seven Dwarfs Mine Coaster Officially Announced

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
01-18-2011, 03:22 PM
From the Disney Parks Blog:

As many of you know, we’re in the midst of the largest expansion in Magic Kingdom history, which will nearly double the size of Fantasyland. And we’re thrilled about the expansion because it’ll allow us to tell our treasured stories in new ways and give you the opportunity to interact with some of our beloved characters like never before. Today, we’d like to give you a first glimpse of the progress we’re making in bringing these stories to life and a look at some of the art will be sharing with the media later tonight.

First, work is already well underway on many of the experiences we’ve already told you about, so let’s start with Under the Sea: Journey of The Little Mermaid. In this attraction, Ariel and all her friends will entertain you in a ride-through adventure featuring favorite songs from the popular animated feature.

Not too far from Ariel’s new home, construction is underway on Beast’s castle which will stand majestically upon a hill. You will cross over a stone bridge as you arrive at Be Our Guest Restaurant. Set in the halls of the Beast’s Castle, this location will seat up to 550 guests and offer “great food fast” service by day and full table service dining in the evening. Just outside the restaurant, you will also be able to explore Belle’s Village, which includes Gaston’s Tavern and Bonjour! Village Gifts.

Nearby at Belle’s cottage, a magical mirror is the doorway to a captivating new kind of experience, where Belle, Lumiere and guests participate in a lively re-telling of the “tale as old as time.” In Enchanted Tales with Belle, the adventure begins at Maurice’s cottage, where you’ll step through an enchanted mirror that magically transports you to Beast’s library for an interactive storytelling session with Belle.

Just across the way is the brand new Storybook Circus, where we’re doubling the fun by adding another carousel to Dumbo the Flying Elephant. While you wait to board this Fantasyland favorite, you’ll have a chance to join the circus and step inside the Big Top for fun-filled interactive experiences for kids of all ages. Alongside Dumbo the Flying Elephant, the existing Barnstormer is getting a new look as well, featuring Goofy as The Great Goofini. This exciting attraction will take you on a twisting, turning, daredevil, roller coaster “flight” high above the circus fun.

As with any project of this scale, we’ve also continued to look for additional ways to surprise and delight our guests and I think you’ll be pleased. One opportunity we’re especially excited about is the chance to tell Snow White’s story in a fresh new way. The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will take you on a rollicking, musical ride into the mine “where a million diamonds shine.” The coaster will feature a first-of-its kind ride system with a train of ride vehicles that swing back and forth as they whisk along the track. The journey will be accompanied by music from the classic Disney film and animated figures of Snow White and the Dwarfs.

Our other Disney princesses will also be getting a new home (actually, they prefer to call it a castle) in the all new Princess Fairytale Hall. Aurora, Cinderella and other Disney princesses, such as Tiana and Rapunzel, will greet you in an elegant royal court at the location where Snow White’s Scary Adventures is today. This new experience will be in place of some of the earlier plans we shared regarding opportunities to interact with your favorite princesses.

And Tinker Bell and her fairy friends will be joining the cast at Epcot where they will have special roles bringing the flora and fauna to life during the Flower and Garden Festival.

The New Fantasyland will be constructed in phases with most new experiences open by 2013. We look forward to sharing more with you as our work progresses.

BrerGnat
01-18-2011, 03:30 PM
VERY cool news! Yay!!! That mine car coaster looks fun!

Good riddance SWSA!

MyDisneyworld
01-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Looks cool with lots more to do and much more open then before.

Darbylew
01-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Sounds like it is going to be great. We can't wait to see it finished. Wish it wouldn't take so
long. :mickey:

Buttercup
01-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Wonderful! I like the picture of the "New" Fantasyland. :mickey:

Patricia
01-18-2011, 05:07 PM
I like this much better than the prior plan. The mine train is far better than Princess castles and pixie land. Sadly, no mention of Mickey's house.

Although, I'm not thrilled with another meet and greet. When I was a kid part of the thrill (surprise!) was finding a character that was out and about roaming the park.. but I'll be the first to admit, living half an hour away at that time, we were in Disneyland park several times a year so maybe I just don't get it. :confused: I do know, I was 46 when I finally met my childhood favorite, Marie of Aristocats and the surprise was still the best part. :blush:

Melanie
01-18-2011, 05:14 PM
A few more pics

BrerGnat
01-18-2011, 06:23 PM
So, since I can't really tell from the picture, will the Mine Train coaster be in the old 20k lagoon site? Is that right?

lindique
01-18-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm wondering what Gaston's Tavern is going to be, since there is no alcohol in the Magic Kingdom?:marg:

ibrowse17
01-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Looks good, thanks:thumbsup:

Patricia
01-18-2011, 07:15 PM
I'm wondering what Gaston's Tavern is going to be, since there is no alcohol in the Magic Kingdom?:marg:

Looks like it may be a counter service restaurant with Gaston's favorite decoration, antlers.

crltkcagle
01-18-2011, 07:41 PM
So when is Snow White going to close? Anyone know? I would like to ride it a few more times before its gone forever. It is a classic and I will miss it but I am looking forward to the changes.

jmj18
01-18-2011, 07:49 PM
Can't wait! It sounds AWESOME!!!!

:mickey:

GBBT
01-18-2011, 08:25 PM
My Evil Queen's gonna be mad:mad: if they take the Old Hag and Evil Queen out of Snow White!! Please keep her in there!

Mammabruski
01-18-2011, 08:56 PM
I can't wait to see something new at MK! No matter what they do let's hope they do it right...if they do I know it'll be great!:mickey:

plutosnana
01-18-2011, 09:29 PM
It all sounds like good news, but you would think they'd have something more for the theme princess, Cinderella! You would think they'd have a little more theme to her. Yes they did need a place for meeting the princesses, but I mainly focus on the rides/attractions.

:goofy:

plutosnana
01-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Still I just looked at the pictures
and I can't stop saying
WOAH! On the hillside!? A new castle? Or is it just drawn like that?

BellesRose
01-18-2011, 10:17 PM
I am jumping up and down, acting crazier than the little kids in the Disney commercials. I think I will have a heart attack when I finally get to see all of the Beauty and the Beast places. I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait. THANK YOU FOR SHARING!!! Yes, I will miss Snow White's Scary Adventures, but only because it's tradition. I will give it up any day over my Belle!

angel2931
01-18-2011, 10:30 PM
OMG this looks so AWESOME!!! :mickey:

seanyred
01-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Compared to the original plan this one is better. I'm glad they listened to the parents of boys and took out the Chateaus and added the Mine Cars. It does look like they are going to try and salvage the big top in Toon Town Fair to fit with the new Storybook Circus section.

Part of me will miss SWSA but I like the idea looking at the story at another angle and possibly adding some thrills to the new ride. Besides I like the fact that each Fantasyland (DL and WDW) will be even more different from each other. Gives me reason to visit both :mickey:

WDWfanatic742
01-18-2011, 10:45 PM
So what are we giving the coaster, a D or E ticket? We haven't gotten a new E ticket at the Magic Kingdom since 1992 (Splash Mountain). I was two years old then :D

KennyandKim
01-18-2011, 11:02 PM
This sounds AWESOME. I can't wait to see it.

Dsnygirl
01-19-2011, 02:41 AM
Wow -- it all looks amazing!! I can't wait to see it all come together... the next couple of years are going to be so fun! :thumbsup:

Dragongirlx
01-19-2011, 04:07 AM
This looks totally brilliant I can't wait:mickey:

vizsla
01-19-2011, 05:13 AM
Looks to be a great improvement for Fantasyland :thumbsup:

grumpyguy
01-19-2011, 07:02 AM
This is pretty cool news,of course I for one will miss the old classic snow white ride.It is VERY dated but still whimsical to me.But the new mine ride should be neat.MORE GRUMPY i say!!!

RBrooksC
01-19-2011, 09:16 AM
It looks like the Imagineers are finally starting to focus-in on what exactly they want Fantasyland to be.

However, as always happens, our imaginations are going to make this better than, perhaps, it will be. That is not to say it won't be a welcome change, but descriptions and our minds always do a better job than reality.

With that being said, I cannot wait until this is finished. I think it is just the bump the MK needs.

Melanie
01-19-2011, 09:25 AM
I'm excited about the changes, especially the Mine coaster, but goodness wish it wasn't going to take so long. ;) We won't be local anymore when everything is done, so we'll be planning a trip for sure.

I'm looking at that aerial view pic that John posted (3rd one) and am glad I can finally get a visual on how this is all going to shake out. They are going to have to bring in a lot of "forest" though. I hope it's not going to be too messy when they are moving the existing Dumbo and putting up those Castle walls. But yeah, looking at these pics has got me excited!

luvdiznee
01-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Still going to miss SWSA especially that it was a good place to get a rest. :cloud9:

BrerSchultzy
01-19-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm also excited about that little tid-bit about the Barnstormer surviving. Everything I had heard until now was that Barnstormer was going away, but the re-theming seems like fun.

Nascfan
01-19-2011, 10:21 AM
I like the updated plans. I'm looking forward to the Mine Train and our family really won't miss Snow White's Scary Adventures. It took forever for our daughter to go on it and I can definitely see it terrorizing young children. I think they definitely do HAVE to pay tribute to Snow White in some fashion as it was Walt Disney's first full-length feature, and it appears to me that the Mine Train should be a good, happier way to do that.

I'm looking forward to the Beast's Castle and Be Our Guest restaurant and Gaston's Tavern. All the Beauty and the Beast stuff seems pretty neat to me. Also really looking forward to the Ariel ride.

I'm actually o.k. with how long it will take. As long as they don't start cutting budget corners, I'd rather see them take their time and do it right. I can wait. I'm not going anywhere and hope it lives up to the promises. Thus far, the plans certainly seem to be, in my opinion.

princessgirls
01-19-2011, 10:30 AM
Love Love Love how the plans are taking shape!!!

Julie:mickey:

JabberJaws
01-19-2011, 10:45 AM
The area looks gorgeous and I think this is Disney's answer to Wizarding World of HP at IOA. Though it lacks a signature mega-ride like Forbidden Journey at IOA, it looks to be a much bigger and even more immersive area.

The theming looks incredible. I love the attention to detail. I was never incredibly fond of the "Renaissance Fair" look of old FL and thought that DL's FL blew WDW's out of the water.

Little Mermaid should be incredible, but the mine coaster looks cool too. Wondering what exactly the ride technology will be, as there are a few coaster companies out there that have been plugging coaster cars that "drift" and fishtail along w/ the natural movement of the ride, similar to what they are talking about.

I just hope that they don't skimp on the mine train like they did with the Indy coaster at DLP. In other words, I don't want to see a run-of-the-mill mine train coaster w/ a few quick "in a cave" sections. I would even like to see a few motion-controlled areas where the cars slow down for a show scene or something, but who knows, it will be neat to see what they come up with.

If it turns out anything like the concept art, this is going to be a HUGE homerun for WDW and for the MK especially.

Ian
01-19-2011, 10:59 AM
The concept art is gorgeous, but I can't help but wonder how closely what the end up building will really be to it.

I mean, that's some seriously elaborate stuff there ... way beyond anything Disney has tackled of late. Either they've decided to really push the envelope here or I'm guessing that the concept art you're looking at will remain just that ... a concept.

Although again ... I absolutely am excited and am not going to make a final decision until I see this stuff for real. From what I've heard, the Carsland addition to DCA is going to be amazing in terms of the painstaking detail of the theming. Maybe this will be a similar undertaking at WDW.

Of course, we all know that this thing is only one budget cut away from becoming a disaster ... that's the one thing that prevents me from being too excited right now. We've all seen WDI go in with the best intentions, only to have the rug pulled out from under them by the bean counters.

BrerGnat
01-19-2011, 11:43 AM
The concept art is gorgeous, but I can't help but wonder how closely what the end up building will really be to it.

I don't find the concept art that elaborate or out of the realm of reality. I think they can pull off that sort of look, and I think they will.

All of the concept art for the improvements at DCA have, for the most part, been fairly accurate in regards to the work that has been done already (in Paradise Pier).

Also, from pictures I've seen already online, the Disney Dream ship's finished areas look pretty close to the concept art as well.

It seems like Disney is really putting a lot of effort into its refurbishments and new projects lately. The timetable of a 2013 completion jives with the concept art and the amount of work that needs to be done.

I'd be worried if they said "opening in 2012"...

Victor Kelly
01-19-2011, 12:52 PM
I have high hopes with this announcement and concept art.

I have a rare paperback book released by Disney before Epcot opened. It contained concept work for many of the attractions and those works of art turned out to be darn near spot on for the finished attractions.

It is my hope that Disney stays the course and everything happens the way it is planned.

DonaldsBFF
01-19-2011, 01:14 PM
The concepts look great, fantasyland seemed to be out of place in the MK, like an afterthought. The MK will now be a complete park if they can only do something with the speedway. I am definately going to miss SWSA, that is one of my best memories of WDW as a kid. I wish they would have kept that and got rid of Pooh. Oh well I cant wait to see the finished product

JabberJaws
01-19-2011, 01:57 PM

I think you will see it be very close if not dead-on. I think that the overwhelming success and profitability of the Wizarding World of HP will really push WDI to make this just as gorgeous as it looks in the concept art. This is basically their rebuttal to WWoHP so they can't afford to go cheap or cut corners. I see them pulling out all the stops here as is evident by the redesign (adding the mine coaster) and the beautiful, highly-detailed theming.

Think of it this way, in the past no one has ever really held a candle to Disney in the realm of theming and attention to detail. Now, with WWoHP, IOA has really gotten back on DIsney's radar (don't forget that it was rumored that Beastly Kingdom was originally meant to combat IOA's thrill rides when it opened, but when IOA wasn't as successful as was predicted, Disney put it on the backburner).

I think WWoHP is just the kind of competition that WDI and management need to get their competitive juices flowing. Which is a good thing for WDW fans I think!

joonyer
01-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Sounds great. Anybody have any idea where exactly the Seven Dwarfs' mine train attraction be located? On Google maps (satellite view) it appears that a lot of dirt is being moved around on the other side of the railroad tracks from the ToonTown Fair station. Could this be the possible location? There's also a lot of clearing going on well behind Small world, but that's so far out of the way, I have to believe that's going to be an employee parking lot/staging area.

tad_tad
01-19-2011, 03:44 PM
Fantasyland has needed a serious update for a long time. This looks absolutely amazing!

seanyred
01-19-2011, 04:49 PM

We've all seen WDI go in with the best intentions, only to have the rug pulled out from under them by the bean counters.

Looks like the Storybook Circus section will make use out of the existing Big Top Tent. That should make the bean counters happy :D

thrillme
01-19-2011, 05:15 PM
:( guess it's not going to be a scary Mine Train ride like Dinosaur or Indiana Jones. Bummer

disneymom15
01-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Exciting news! Can't wait to see the end result!

badkitty
01-19-2011, 11:35 PM
Sounds great. Anybody have any idea where exactly the Seven Dwarfs' mine train attraction be located? On Google maps (satellite view) it appears that a lot of dirt is being moved around on the other side of the railroad tracks from the ToonTown Fair station. Could this be the possible location? There's also a lot of clearing going on well behind Small world, but that's so far out of the way, I have to believe that's going to be an employee parking lot/staging area.

I heard from one of the train engineers that that construction beyond the train station was an employee parking lot and prep for the new train station. I don't know how accurate that is though.

Ian
01-20-2011, 08:13 AM
Sounds great. Anybody have any idea where exactly the Seven Dwarfs' mine train attraction be located?Based on what I can discern from the concept art, my best guess is that's it's going to go roughly in the area where Ariel's Grotto and the old Pooh Playground were. Sort of behind where Dumbo is now.

But I expect that it's almost entirely going to be built on new land ... from what I can tell, they must be really expanding out beyond "the berm" and seriously cutting in to the backstage areas.

Here's a question ... is the Circus-themed area going to now be a part of Fantasyland? Or do you think it will remain sort of its own separate land?

valjane
01-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Anyone have a guess as to whether the Mine Train will be a mild coaster like Thunder Mountain, or a coaster exclusively for little kids, like Barnstormer?

If it's like Barnstormer, I'll be disappointed to see Fantasyland becoming pretty much a "kiddie" area of the park that tweens, teens, and adults will feel like they have to skip.

TracyL
01-20-2011, 09:45 AM
Seems like all the communications stick with "Fantasyland Expansion," which implies we're not going to have a separate named area once it's done (fan references to "Circusland" notwithstanding).

I was reading the other day (must've been a D23 thing) about the actual circus at DLR that Walt presented over the holiday season of 1955. Sounds like it was an utter disaster (of the kind that doesn't really hurt anybody very much and makes great stories *afterwards*), and Walt was cured of his enthusiasm for circuses. Would be good if Disney honored its past (unlike what happened in Dinoland at AK) and stuck to what they know works.

Frog
01-20-2011, 10:38 AM
way cool plans! it will be fun over the next year or so watching Disney pull this one off!! I am sure it will give us all something to look forward to!

princessgirls
01-20-2011, 10:44 AM

I mean, that's some seriously elaborate stuff there ... way beyond anything Disney has tackled of late. Either they've decided to really push the envelope here or I'm guessing that the concept art you're looking at will remain just that ... a concept.

Although again ... I absolutely am excited and am not going to make a final decision until I see this stuff for real. From what I've heard, the Carsland addition to DCA is going to be amazing in terms of the painstaking detail of the theming. Maybe this will be a similar undertaking at WDW.

Of course, we all know that this thing is only one budget cut away from becoming a disaster ... that's the one thing that prevents me from being too excited right now. We've all seen WDI go in with the best intentions, only to have the rug pulled out from under them by the bean counters.

Funny...my daughter Madison LOVES the Guiness Book of World Records, and in the 2010 edition, it lists Expedition Everest as the most elaborate and costly roller coaster built in recent times. It gave all the specifics on time, cost, labor, etc.

Hopefully this project doesn't get shelved and it can reach it's full potential. It would be so exciting for all of us who LOVE the Magic Kingdom!
Julie:mickey:

Ian
01-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Anyone have a guess as to whether the Mine Train will be a mild coaster like Thunder Mountain, or a coaster exclusively for little kids, like Barnstormer?If you go back a bit earlier in this thread (at least I think it's in this thread) our resident Imagineer, Mufasa, gives a little bit of insight into what to expect.

Sounds like it's going to be quite a bit different from the Barnstormer in the sense that it's not really going to be a "roller coaster", but more of a dark ride with some thrilled elements incorporated. He specifies it's going to have fully functional audio-animatronics (and not the static figures the old attraction had) and a lot of other neat goodies.

His description has me very excited for this and expecting a lot more than the Barnstormer!

JabberJaws
01-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Anyone have a guess as to whether the Mine Train will be a mild coaster like Thunder Mountain, or a coaster exclusively for little kids, like Barnstormer?

If it's like Barnstormer, I'll be disappointed to see Fantasyland becoming pretty much a "kiddie" area of the park that tweens, teens, and adults will feel like they have to skip.

From everything I've seen about the ride technology potentially in use for the coaster, it should be a family coaster, more along the lines of a BTMRR, SM and Primeval Whirl, meaning that it will be thrilling, but not too thrilling as to exclude children.

The idea of the coaster cars tilting and moving along w/ the drops and turns of the ride makes me think it might be something similar to the Mack E-Motion Coaster seen here (http://www.mack-rides.com/en/products/coasters/e-motion-coaster/c-ec-info/c-ec-info.html). These cars are designed to tilt from side to side or even forward and back along w/ the movement of the coaster car, so it feels more "out of control." I think this aspect alone will add some thrills, plus I imagine there will be lots of in the dark moments.

I think this was WDI's answer to the criticism of the new FL being too geared towards girls. This will give something thrilling for the boys to enjoy so it isn't all fairies and princesses.

Ian
01-20-2011, 11:48 AM
I think this was WDI's answer to the criticism of the new FL being too geared towards girls. This will give something thrilling for the boys to enjoy so it isn't all fairies and princesses.I think you're right, but that makes me think that choosing a Snow White theme was a bit odd. It's still a princess movie, after all. While yes it will be thrilling, will boys really want to go on a "princess ride."

I think I would have chosen something else ... I keep coming back to Cars. Why not a Cars attraction?? What does WDW have against Cars? It's without question the most popular boy franchise they've ever created, yet it's completely absent from WDW.

As the father of a 4 year old boy, it really irks me that they keep ignoring it. I have to travel across the country to take my son on a Cars ride??? Really???

PopPhan
01-20-2011, 11:54 AM
I think you're right, but that makes me think that choosing a Snow White theme was a bit odd. It's still a princess movie, after all. While yes it will be thrilling, will boys really want to go on a "princess ride."

I think I would have chosen something else ... I keep coming back to Cars. Why not a Cars attraction?? What does WDW have against Cars? It's without question the most popular boy franchise they've ever created, yet it's completely absent from WDW.

As the father of a 4 year old boy, it really irks me that they keep ignoring it. I have to travel across the country to take my son on a Cars ride??? Really???

Ian, I realize that everyone is talking about this as a "Snow White" attraction, but isn't the write-up more a "Seven Dwarves" attraction? Yes, I know - same movie, but maybe by keying on the dwarves, it will be more 'boy' oriented.

As far as anything Cars goes in MK, if they rethemed the Speedway, OK, but otherwise, keep anything NEW based on a Pixar movie in DHS, please. Since they have instituted Pixar Place, let MK be Disney and DHS be Pixar. When Laugh Floor and Space Ranger Spin are due for major rehab, move them (or not) to DHS and replace with something either Disney or "real" future related -- they are in Tomorrowland, after all.

JMHO!!

valjane
01-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the info! Sounds great!

GothMickey
01-20-2011, 12:22 PM
The Mine Car, if I am not mistaken, will be across from Pooh and where SWSA is now. I think the queue is supposed to, from my understanding, be across from Pooh. Beauty and the Beast will occupy the area once known as Ariel's Grotto, with Mermaid taking up a portion of that area and the old 20K site. The mine car will also take up 20K plot.

As for Storybook Circus, I'm assuming it will be its own land. There is an entrance way that leads into the land from Fantasyland, like how there is an entranceway from the Hub to Adventureland.

The lands in MK would be:
1. Main Street USA
2. Tomorrowland
3. Storybook Circus
4. Fantasyland
5. Liberty Square
6. Frontierland
7. Adventureland

That way, they don't have to change the morning song lines "7 lands and more...."

shadowden
01-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Very excited to see the new changes. Going to miss some of the old attractions, though.

My DDs will love the new princess meet and greets....

Ian
01-20-2011, 01:24 PM
The Mine Car, if I am not mistaken, will be across from Pooh and where SWSA is now.No, the new princess meet and greet is going where SWSA is now. The press release mentioned that specifically.

RE: Cars in Tomorrowland vs. DHS ... I don't care where they put it, just so something with it for heaven's sake!

I mean really ... isn't a Cars overlay of the Speedway a no brainer?? What are they waiting for???

Mackflava99
01-20-2011, 01:45 PM
I am so happy to hear about the new coaster- it will be great to get some new rides

GothMickey
01-20-2011, 01:48 PM
No, the new princess meet and greet is going where SWSA is now. The press release mentioned that specifically.

RE: Cars in Tomorrowland vs. DHS ... I don't care where they put it, just so something with it for heaven's sake!

I mean really ... isn't a Cars overlay of the Speedway a no brainer?? What are they waiting for???

Maybe I wasn't clear. I meant the Mine Car was going to be across the walkway from Pooh and SWSA. Not that the Mine Car was going into SWSA.

MOJoe
01-20-2011, 01:50 PM
A couple of thoughts.

First, whether or not this is some sort of response to the WW of Harry Potter, this is Fantasyland we are talking about. The heart of Magic Kingdom. Disney has closed, changed and rethemed many attractions over the decades. But this is different. Expanding and upgrading Fantasyland is very serious business. Any lame or half-hearted efforts could do serious damage to the the Magic Kingdom "brand". Disney knows this. And despite all the recent criticism of cutbacks, it looks like they are pulling out all the stops for this. I'm very impressed with the plans. A giant leap forward in my opinion.

Now, there is just one more void to fill at MK. And it appears they have the perfect opportunity.
If only Gaston's Tavern sold :beer:. :mickey:

JabberJaws
01-20-2011, 01:50 PM
I agree I think that a Cars overlay of the speedway would make some sense, but the speedway in itself is in an odd spot theme-wise. It is sandwiched inbetween FL and TL. Right now they tie it into TL (TL Speedway) but the theming of it other than the name does not fit with the futuristic theme of TL. I think they need to either retheme it to fit into the TL theme (psuedo-futuristic cars?) or replace with something else entirely. You know what would be a really neat replacement, Aquatopia from TDS. Plus if they ever retheme TL to fit the Jules-vernes esque look like DLP and TDS, then it would be a perfect fit.

That being said, I just don't think Pixar stuff makes sense in FL. FL from a theme standpoint is based on the classic disney fantasy tales of Snow White, Cinderella, etc. Plus w/ the Pixar area at DHS, it would be the odd-man out in FL.

I know there was a rumor a while back of something possibly in the works for Frontier Land to be geared towards boys to balance out the stuff in FL. Not sure what though or where they would find room for it or if that was ever any more than just a wild rumor.

GothMickey
01-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Cars needs to go to DHS, where Backlot Tour Eye Sore is now. Carsland would be perfect for that area. The speedway just needs to go. Prime real estate is being taken up.

BrerSchultzy
01-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Cars needs to go to DHS, where Backlot Tour Eye Sore is now. Carsland would be perfect for that area. The speedway just needs to go. Prime real estate is being taken up.

I spent years not riding the Speedway. In fact, for a while it was the only ride I didn't go on. Then I had a son. And riding that with him (everything from standing in line to getting his driver's license at the end) is the single greatest Disney memory I have. Period. Sure, a re-theming would be nice. Cars would fit if Fantasyland annexed the Speedway. Or make the cars look like the cars we thought we'd have by now to make them fit TL. Either way, if the Speedway went away, I'd be sad...and I'd be sad for all the moms and dads who didn't get to take their kids on it.

Back to the OP, the new Fantasyland looks amazing. Ultimately we're getting two new rides while sacrificing one, getting two new restaurants and a whole bunch of themeing. Pretty exciting really.

Melanie
01-20-2011, 02:12 PM

Do you have kids? I can almost bet you'd feel 100% different if you did. We've been to four different Magic Kingdom's around the world and every time one of the first rides my son's wanted to do in each of those parks was the Speedway. And at 11 and almost 13, they still want to ride. It doesn't have consistent 30+ minute waits for nothing.

GothMickey
01-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Do you have kids? I can almost bet you'd feel 100% different if you did. We've been to four different Magic Kingdom's around the world and every time one of the first rides my son's wanted to do in each of those parks was the Speedway. And at 11 and almost 13, they still want to ride. It doesn't have consistent 30+ minute waits for nothing.

Nope, don't have kids. And you are probably right. I'd probably feel differently if I did. I would still rather see Cars in DHS with WDW's version of Carsland. And if the speedway has to stay, then update it. Electric cars. Maybe theme it like Autopia. Modernize it as much as possible. I'm on board with that.

Melanie
01-20-2011, 02:25 PM
And if the speedway has to stay, then update it. Electric cars. Maybe theme it like Autopia. Modernize it as much as possible. I'm on board with that.

Oh absolutely. I'm in total agreement with that. The HK Autopia is awesome!

GothMickey
01-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Oh absolutely. I'm in total agreement with that. The HK Autopia is awesome!

But, sadly, unless this were to come directly from Tom Staggs and the upper management Anaheim or Glendale, then TDO would never ever consider spending the money.

wire0monkey
01-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Backlot Tour Eye Sore

A lot of people really love the Backlot Tour, including me and my kids are way into the speedway.

Jeany031
01-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Awesome!

johnO
01-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Still I just looked at the pictures
and I can't stop saying
WOAH! On the hillside!? A new castle? Or is it just drawn like that?

Pluto,

While sailing aboard the Disney Magic in October 2010, I had the opportunity to listen to two hour long presentations by Imagineer Mark Kohl, who is currently working on the Fantasyland expansion. Someone specifically asked about Beasts Castle and wondered if it would interfere with views of Cindy's castle. He said that Beast's castle would use "Forced perspective" and would be small in comparison to Cindy's Castle.

LarryBoy
01-21-2011, 09:22 AM
I love the theming on the whole concept. It looks like Fantasyland will be much more immersive, like the other lands of the Magic Kingdom. So as far as we know Snow White's Scary Adventure will be the only thing going away right?

Frog
01-21-2011, 09:48 AM
I wonder if the Circus area will have live performers like jugglers and mimes (sp?)... i remember when the stilt walkers were hanging around PI, getting people dancing around with them for the reward of beads.. that could be fun to really add to the carnival atmosphere! I am beginning to really like this new immagineering more and more!

MarkC
01-21-2011, 11:59 AM
This thread proves that there is a lot of love for both Disney tradition and Disney Imagineering. Unfortunately, sometimes the two cross paths. Its also obvious that there is no way to please everyone, even two Disney fanatics.

Lets face it, if the park was the same as it was in 1970 no one would go there. However, if it changes too much its not "Disney" and we would really complain about that aspect of it. I'm sure management weighs this very carefully-- and depending on where you're at in your life will also change your opinion. If you have young kids you want those type of rides. If you are about to be empty nesters or don't have kids, you want something else.

Bottom line, I still love Disney and though they've had some clunkers and odd decisions, I will continue to go back because its the best vacation spot I've ever seen. Second place is so far down the list its in another zip code.

Imagineer1981
01-21-2011, 12:32 PM
I am very excited and I truely hope the new mine train is more of an E ticket attraction

SpecJoe Magic
01-21-2011, 07:27 PM
I hope the Seven Dwarfs Mine Coaster is at least the intensity of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, so that it can be more enjoyable for a broader age group. That might exclude some of the very young kids, but the Great Goofini Coaster will be there for them.

I'm thrilled with the look of the concept art. If they can pull this off effectively, then WDW's Fantasyland will finally be of a similar quality as Disneyland's Fantasyland. Also, the addition of another large walking path should allow for easier movement through an often congested Fantasyland.

DizneyFreak2002
01-21-2011, 11:21 PM
I am very excited and I truely hope the new mine train is more of an E ticket attraction

Think more like a D-ticket, not E....

DizneyFreak2002
01-21-2011, 11:22 PM
I hope the Seven Dwarfs Mine Coaster is at least the intensity of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, so that it can be more enjoyable for a broader age group. That might exclude some of the very young kids, but the Great Goofini Coaster will be there for them.

I'm thrilled with the look of the concept art. If they can pull this off effectively, then WDW's Fantasyland will finally be of a similar quality as Disneyland's Fantasyland. Also, the addition of another large walking path should allow for easier movement through an often congested Fantasyland.

From everything I read, do NOT expect it to be like BTMR... If you are looking for that kind of ride, you'll be disappointed.. It was never meant to be another BTMR...

Jared
01-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Think more like a D-ticket, not E....
Good enough, especially because it sounds like The Little Mermaid attraction wil be pretty spectacular. This is very exciting news.

DizneyFreak2002
01-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Good enough, especially because it sounds like The Little Mermaid attraction wil be pretty spectacular. This is very exciting news.

Very exciting.... I'll take this D ticket over a C ticket... Especially since this D-ticket will be highly themed and a wonder to ride.. :)

WDWfanatic742
01-26-2011, 04:27 AM
There is a piece of concept art that wasn't released online that is on the temporary wall (I think it's behind Dumbo). It shows the inside of the ride with the seven dwarfs. If someone is there or going soon, maybe we can get a pic up on here :mickey:

CaptSmee
01-26-2011, 10:32 AM
I Iike all the new plans except the princess court (sorry princesses). Such a waste of prime space...

Mogie
01-27-2011, 09:33 AM
The Dwarf Mine Ride with the swinging and rocking cars sounds a lot like the Harry Potter Ride technology...very cool.

BrerGnat
01-27-2011, 12:39 PM
The Dwarf Mine Ride with the swinging and rocking cars sounds a lot like the Harry Potter Ride technology...very cool.

Uh, I wouldn't count on it being ANYTHING like the HP ride technology...

Still sounds fun, but it won't be like that ride.

WDWfanatic742
01-27-2011, 01:03 PM
If it is half as good as HP we'll be getting a treat. It's going to be good, but not THAT good...

I don't know how close it will resemble this ride since I don't much about it and it uses technology that Test Track uses, but it sounds like a tamer version of Journey to the Center of the Earth at Tokyo DisneySea. I've only seen one or two videos of it, but it looks like it's really cool and is one of the parks' major attractions. In my wildest dreams it will be something like that...