PDA

View Full Version : First Cruise Questions

deedeenmickey
01-17-2011, 11:46 AM
I am so excited I booked our first ever cruise on the Disney Dream for April 3 2011 (4 nights Bahamas). I have a few questions...First, what is NOT included in the price of the cruise? I know adult beverages are not but is soft drinks included? Which Shore excursion would you reccomend for me, DH and DD 16? Any tips for first time cruisers? DD is an incredibly picky eater she eats Sirloin steaks, pizza and FF are all of these available?

Thanks!

mook3y
01-17-2011, 12:47 PM
I have yet to take a Disney cruise, but the best tip I have is to use an over the door shoe holder on the bathroom door. They are about $5 at walmart and makes it really easy to keep all of your toiletries, camera, other stuff well organized!

tinkman
01-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Never sailed on the Dream, just the Wonder twice. Soft drinks were included as was all food. Now, in the coffee shops and bars, soft drinks were extra. Don't remember seeing FF but they do have pizza. I had steak three nights in a row. We ate at Animator's Palate the first night and loved the french onion soup and steak, so the 2nd night we were in Tritons and I ordered off of the Animator's Palate menu again, same meal.

deedeenmickey
01-20-2011, 08:47 AM
Thanks that helps ALOT! Does anyone know if the prices for the soft drinks that you have to pay for are normal prices or theme park prices?

TammiMcMan
01-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Thanks that helps ALOT! Does anyone know if the prices for the soft drinks that you have to pay for are normal prices or theme park prices?If you pack a refillable mug, you can stop by the drink station at any time and never have to worry about paying :thumbsup:. It's really just the coffee shop, bars, theatre snacks and poolside waiter/waitress service. That would include soda and smoothies. I want to say that the smoothies ran about $5, plus you'll be charged 18% gratuity so it can add up quickly.

TracyL
01-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Soft drinks when you are at the restaurants, and some of the quick service dining outlets, are included. And there's a fountain up on the pool deck where you can help yourself to as much soda as you want, all day.

They are pretty clear and straightforward on DCL about what is and is not included, and you can always ask if you're not sure. Be assured that if you are not presented with a bill of some kind to sign, you are not being charged extra for whatever it is.

As to shore excursions, it depends on where you're going. What's your itinerary? I just did my first DCL cruise last month. It was fantastic!

deedeenmickey
01-26-2011, 12:43 PM
It's the 4 night for Nassau and Castaway. I can't decide what to do in Nassau. We usually like to see local and cultural things when we travel someplace new. How hard is it to go on your own?

joonyer
01-26-2011, 01:32 PM
Fast Food on board includes, pizza, burgers, hot-dogs, chicken fingers, french fries, sandwiches, salads, ice-cream, etc., all included in fare. Ther are several outlets for these items.

Room service food and some beverages (coffee tea, etc) are included in the fare too (great for breakfast, especially if you have a veranda), but I think soft drinks are charged extra for room service. Someone will be along to confirm this or not, I'm sure.

Scar
01-27-2011, 08:55 AM
I can't decide what to do in Nassau. We usually like to see local and cultural things when we travel someplace new.The first time I went to Nassau, the only thing I enjoyed was The Ardastra Zoo. The second time I went to Nassau, I stayed on board. I know many people who stay on board the second time they go to Nassau... kinda tells you something about Nassau.

TracyL
02-04-2011, 03:12 PM
I agree with Scar -- Ardastra Gardens or nothing. Ardastra is close enough to walk to if you know where you're going; if you take a cab, demand that they tell you the cab fare before you start and don't go with them if they want more than $10. The lady at the desk in the terminal building assured us it would be about $7-8 for that cab ride, and our licensed and supposedly honest cab driver drove all over town and charged us $20. Don't let that happen to you!

And yeah, I'd probably not bother to go ashore in Nassau next time.