PDA

View Full Version : Beach Club Babe's Completely Unexpected Mommy & Me Weekend Part 1

Beach Club Babe
01-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Cast Members:
Me (Heather)
DD#4 *(Hallie Age 20 months)

Cameo:
DD#2 *(Courtney)

Resort:
Pop Century
50's section
Building 3

Dates:
Jan 7th through 9th

Background:

As many of you know, our daughter, Courtney attends college in Florida. About this time of year, I usually drive her back to school. So was the plan for this year. Her classes were scheduled to begin on Jan. 10th, so were were to leave on the 8th, arriving on the 9th, a Sunday. Unfortunately on Thursday, the 6th she received an e-mail, stating there was a problem with the financial aid office, and it would need to be attended to before the start of class on Monday. Change of plans all together. In very short order, we decided we needed to fly out as soon as possible. I was able to get 2 airline tickets on Southwest for the following morning and one for me to return on Sunday afternoon. I reserved a rental car, and a hotel near her campus. We both hurredly packed and I got Hallie's Birth Certificate so she could fly on my lap. I reserved parking at the usual place we use when flying out of Philly.

All we had to do now was get ourselves to the airport at an ungodly hour the next morning. Should have been fairly easy, but we got socked with a snow storm. It was a very treacherous drive, not just because of the poor road conditions, but I was remembering all the important things I forgot in our rush once we saw how much snow had already fallen. The single most important thing, however, was my credit card!

Our flight was actually delayed about an hour, although no official announcement of that ever came. Then we spent another hour and a half or so on the plane, waiting to de-ice. We are definitely off to a very bad start. Little did we know things had just begun, although I knew some of what we were in for. The flight itself was very smooth and we arrived a little earlier than we expected after the delays.

Off to the Budget desk, which I knew what the answer was going to be. I had already pre-paid for the rental, but they still needed the card in order to rent. I was hoping they might accept Courtney's, but she needed to be 25. They referred us to L&M rentals, which did in fact let us rent without my card and using Courtney's. I also called Matt and had him transfer some money into Courtney's account to make sure everything was covered.

We arrived back at her campus at about 4:00 after all of this was said and done. That did not leave us much time as all offices closed at 5:00. We raced into the financial aid building and talked to someone who then sent us across the hall, who was able to help us, as long as we were able to retrieve a document from her room. Back in the car and across campus. She tore up into her room, but couldn't find it. She knew she could get another from her advisor so off to his office we flew. Document in hand she still had to hit the accounting office and the registrar and amazingly we accomplished this in under an hour! With everything clear we went back to her room to unload her things. I also called the hotel to let them know I would be a little late in checking in. I mentioned the missing credit card and was informed I would need it to check in. Great! Next we went for some dinner down by the beach and afterwards went for a stroll on it. Hallie loved the sand and watching the waves. She was giggling. Next up we hear from Jason, Courtney's boyfriend. He had his own awful saga. Very long story, but to wrap it in a nutshell. He was supposed to fly to Indianapolis today for a fraternity thing since he is the new president. Was flying from Boston through Philly. His flight from Philly was canceled. He then had them fly him into Orlando since his bags would not be able to be retrieved. Later he finds out they were sent to Indianapolis, ugh he could have gone, but by this time there are no more seats. We are going to need to drive back to the airport to pick him up! We do and the lovebirds are reunited! Since I now have no place to stay, and Courtney's roomates are not back yet, I spend the night in her apt. Not at all comfortable. I try to find another room in the area online, without any success, they either are booked or require the credit card upon check in. About 11:00 it hits me. If I can find a room available at Disney, they will charge my card, that I have the numbers for, and will not require it on check in unless I want to charge, but that is unneccessary. First thing in the morning I am on the phone and booking Pop Century with an AP discount for $74.00!

Since Courtney's problems were solved, and Jason has arrived unexpectedly. I may as well make the most of my new accomodations and hit some parks. I am up and car re-packed and say my fond goodbyes to Courtney and hit the road for the hour and a half drive or so, grabbing a little breakfast along the way!

We arrive Pop Century about 10:00 AM, check-in, but room is not ready. I do know that it will be in buiding 3, the 50's section on the first floor. We are now ready to hit the parks. I decide on Magic Kingdom. I know I will not be able to do that many attractions, given Hallie is a baby, and I have no one else with me. I do not care! After a day like yesterday, I am ready for a nice relaxing day in the warm sunshine just me and Hallie!

faline
01-16-2011, 03:21 PM
We forget how important those tiny pieces of plastic are until we try to do without them! At least you get a mini-Disney trip out of the ordeal!

Glad you got Courtney squared away at school!

vizsla
01-17-2011, 05:09 AM
Thanks for the report.

KylesMom
01-17-2011, 02:25 PM
Oy vey - you handled that critical piece of missing plastic well, Heather! Thank goodness you were able to take care of Courtney's school business before the offices closed & she's ready to resume school.

I can't think of a nicer way to spend your extra time than with sunshine & Hallie. Hopefully your mishaps are behind you & your unexpected trip to the MK will be a delightful one! :mickey:

DisneyorBust
01-17-2011, 06:51 PM
What an ordeal! I was glad to read that your daughter was able to solve the financial aid problem. Between the rush to make travel arrangements, travel hazards and the left behind credit card, you sure managed the crisis well! Enjoy your time in the parks, you sure earned it!

yjgirl32
01-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Wow cool an unexpected trip to Disney.

DizNee143
01-21-2011, 11:31 AM
what a day!! glad everything pretty much worked and now you get to have some disney time with your little girl! :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-21-2011, 01:22 PM
wow would love a surprise trip like that

princessgirls
01-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Heather,

You do have a great ability to roll with whatever comes your way.

So sweet, that you made some memories with your little Hallie!! I love that!

Julie:mickey:

Bethis26fan
01-26-2011, 01:44 PM
How nice it is when something bad turns in to good. :)

PinKy
01-29-2011, 10:48 PM
wow! Kudos to you for keeping your cool and making lemonade out of lemons!

pdrlkr
02-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

January-2007
02-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Thanks for reporting.