PDA

View Full Version : First Time at Universal...HELP!!!

beksy
01-15-2011, 02:10 PM
This is the first trip that I will be taking where I venture out of Disney and into the world of Universal and I am so confused! I am trying to make plans but it just seems a lot more difficult to get info on Universal. Any advice on touring plans (we won't do the roller coasters), places to eat, not to miss things, or just general information would be greatly appreciated. We are going to go to Universal for 2 days and then go on to Disney for 7. This means no magical express either so would it be better to just rent a car? Any ideas on good places at reasonable prices to stay? Thanks for all the help!

CaptSmee
01-15-2011, 03:51 PM
Well, it's much easier to tour the Universal parks because they are much smaller and concentrated. Are you going to both parks, or just 1? If you are going to IOA you'll want to hit Harry Potter either first thing in the morning, or later in the evening like an hour before closing to avoid massive crowds. Other than that you really won't have much of a problem riding anything. Spiderman is a can't miss attraction, everything else is just ok. If you are going to the Studios instead, start with The Simpsons ride & MIB. They are by far the most popular attractions there. I personally like everything there myself, but that's just my opinion. Disaster is very good, Twister is ok, Shrek 3D is good, T2 is outstanding, ET is fun yet corny.

As far as food goes, don't expect anything too spectacular. Mythos in IOA is very good, but evreything else is average at best. In the Studios park everything is average at best. Lombard's Seafood Grill is the best we've tried there. They have City Walk which is their version of Downtown Disney that has much better dining option. We usually have dinner at a City Walk restaurant after we have left the parks for the day with Margaritaville being our favorite, but there's also a Hard Rock, NBA Cafe, NASCAR Cafe, Bubba Gumps, Emeril's, and Pastamore there.

joonyer
01-16-2011, 07:35 PM
Don't miss "Revenge of the Mummy" ride at Universal Studios. even though it's a coaster type, (all indoors) there are no big drops or loops. In my opinion, until Forbidden journey came along, it was the best single attraction in Orlando. It's really fun and exciting. And, the lines are not usually too bad. We did it several times without waiting last May (on weekdays).

NJGIRL
01-18-2011, 07:49 PM
IMO Universal is easier than Disney. Once there you don't have to leave to go to the other park or City Walk. IOA is on the left side as you enter, Studio's on you right side and Ctiy Walk right in the middle of both.

I have to disagree about the food. While they don't have as many selections as Disney's 4 theme parks I feel that the food there is pretty good. We really like Finnegans and the little sandwich shop (Name is slipping my mind) in the Studios. Best dessert around, especially the cheesecakes. Pastamore (City Walk) and Confisco's (IOA) are very good. We also liked Margaritaville's food which is also in City Walk.
We ate at Mel' (Studios) last trip and the kids liked the burgers (I only had a salad there) & Blondies (IOA) sandwiches were also good.

Don't miss attractions at IOA are of course Forbidden Journey, Spiderman, the barge ride will soak you down to your skin, Jurassic Park River Journey.

I do enjoy the Studio's more. Don't miss attractions are The Make Up Horror Show, The Simpsons, MIB, The Mummy (my favorite), Jaws (corny but fun), Twister (this gets mixed reviews but I loved the movie so I enjoy it), Disaster (so funny), Shrek 4D & Terminator. They are have a water area there that looks like a little city. The kids will get soaked there.

Make sure you try the butterbeer. We liked the frozen more.

Crow
01-19-2011, 08:50 PM
1 day for both parks in March?

NJGIRL
01-23-2011, 08:21 AM
1 day for both parks in March?

This question is asked alot and I always said no even before HP land. There is just too much to do at both parks plus the fact that many attractions you will probably like to do for a second time. If you ar planning on skipping about half of the attractions at both parks then you could do both in one day.

DisneyFr33k
01-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Don't miss "Revenge of the Mummy" ride at Universal Studios. even though it's a coaster type, (all indoors) there are no big drops or loops. In my opinion, until Forbidden journey came along, it was the best single attraction in Orlando. It's really fun and exciting. And, the lines are not usually too bad. We did it several times without waiting last May (on weekdays).

Really? This was pretty intense. Like a cross between the launch on Rockn Rollercoaster and the dark rollercoaster of Space Mountain - but on serious steroids! I loved it, but you do experience some drops during the roller coast part in the dark.

I agree, it is easy to get on. No big lines and really exciting! We loved it! But it was intense.

NJGIRL
01-23-2011, 05:46 PM
When people ask me about The Mummy I say if you can do RR then you can do the Mummy. I think RR may be a little more intense but not much. The Mummy's theming is great.

joonyer
01-23-2011, 08:59 PM
Yeah, the Mummy has a drop, but it's not a really big one. Being in the dark makes it more intense, of course, but it's nowhere near as tall as the drop at Splash Mountain, for instance. There are no upside down loops, and it never approaches the speed of RnRC or any outdoor coaster. But it is not a mild ride. The fire effects are pretty awesome.

Crow
01-25-2011, 03:31 PM
I like R&R and want to try the Mummy.
so u dont think i can hit most of the highlights of both parks in 1 day in March?