PDA

View Full Version : To dine or not to dine.

AmandaChan
01-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Okay so I am sure that this question has been asked a million times BUT and I know that a lot of people go the way of the dining plan but what is YOUR consensus on it?? DH and I have only been by ourselves and we've never gotten the dining plan. We probably would have saved money in the past with it and I try to do a rough estimation with numbers but it kind of makes my head explode. We will have a 14 month old and a mother in law in our room (she'll be paying for herself). Then we have a sister and brother in law with a 10 year old and a 4 year old in another room under a separate reservation. I kind of hate the idea of having restrictions. I think I figured it out to being about $384 for me alone (768 for us both) and even though I want to take them to some restaurants that are our favorites I almost wonder if we can be a little thriftier and not eat out at the large restaurants all of the time.

I guess what I'm asking is with a large group and a family with 2 kids who is trying to be a little thriftier and maybe not get the most expensive thing at a restaurant everynight would it really save you a lot of money???

For example my bil and sil this is their first trip with their kids and they will probably go all out as far as drinks and snacks go. I am almost thinking if maybe sometimes I can get myself a kids meal and DH a regular meal instead of getting two regular meals and split it up between us and feed our 1 year old with it as well? I don't know!

I also did some searching on the dining thread and can't really find any general feelings about the dining plan as a whole so I guess I just want your rough feeling?

1goofyfamily
01-15-2011, 11:28 AM
There in lies the question...if you are a family that enjoys the sit down table service restaurants and or character meals then the table service dining plan is great plus it's all paid for ahead of time so one less thing to think about. We've used it our last 3 trips granted a couple of those times was free dining and they've changed it over the years...used to included appetizer & dessert and tip now just dessert. Regardless we had always done a buffett type character meal or large meal once aday and had quick service the other and snacked so we were really only doing 2 meals a day anyway. I think Disney saw a lot of people were primarily "fast food" families whether it was to save money or save time so they added the quick service dining plan now too. But in my opinion it boils down to where and what you plan on eating. If you don't usually go the dessert route then that needs to be considered too. Nice thing is the menus with prices are all posted so you can do a little comparing. Hope that helps.

forever a child
01-15-2011, 11:33 AM
If you are trying to be "thrifty" then I would avoid the DDP. I don't think it saves you $ unless you are planning to do good TS locations. Honestly, we have done DDP once and the rest of the times paying OOP. I think we will continue to pay OOP for our future visits. I think if "Free Dining" is offered again and you have a family of four or more it is a good value. But there are just two of us...so the room only discount tends to be a better savings for us.

It is worth trying some time to make your own decisions...but I wouldn't suggest it for a visit when you are being budget conscious... because like you said...you may end up splitting meals and the DDP really isnt going to save $ by splitting meals.

AmandaChan
01-15-2011, 12:50 PM
thanks for the insight, I think maybe we will go ahead and make our reservations for the hotel and tickets but if you decided to add the DDP later on can you do so?? surely you can?

joonyer
01-15-2011, 12:51 PM
When we visit WDW on our normal tour plan, we spend far less on food than what the DDP costs. That's because we usually eat breakfast in our room, and eat mostly CS with just a couple of TS meals on our trips. The more we spend on food, the less often we can afford to go. We have tried the DP before though, back when it cost less and included appetizers and tips. We maximized our use of TS credits, and it cost us less than we would have spent out-of pocket if we had ordered the same things at the same restaurants, but without the DDP we would have never eaten that many TS meals and much, much less food. There were 4 of us, and so after 4 appetizers we were usually full. It was way more food than we would ever order, no matter what the prices. That being said, if we were able to get the Free dining as part of a package, that was a better discount than room only, we'd probably try it again.

lovin'fl
01-15-2011, 02:22 PM
We've done full Disney vacations 5 times and the DDP the last 4 of those. We are planning an August trip for this year and looked at the DDP more thoroughly. The price went up to $46/person. Our 3 kids are ow considered adults, though our 2 girls still prefer kid meal items (chicken tenders and mac n cheese). We don't need a dessert with every TS meal and we don't need a snack (which tends to be the Mickey head popsicle) every day either. If you do all buffets, they run @$30...so I feel we could do lunch for less than $16. And if you don't do a buffet, you'll feel obligated to order the most expensive things on the menu. For us, 3 out of 5 would prefer cheaper menu items. I think the DDP is a joke now. When we first got it, it was fabulous. You got appetizer, entree and dessert plus tips WERE included...all for $3something/person. Our last full trip, in 2008, it was $37/person. It has gone up $9 in 3 years. My inlaws are going in about a week and are paying $41/person....so a $5 increase from now to August. And when I booked our room, I asked to add DDP and was told that now you pay up front. Used to be that you'd pay at check-in. When they told me I'd be charged $1650 (for 6), it stopped me dead in my tracks. I passed on it and then got off the phone and researched dining at Disney. We're going to pay OOP.

lovin'fl
01-15-2011, 02:29 PM
thanks for the insight, I think maybe we will go ahead and make our reservations for the hotel and tickets but if you decided to add the DDP later on can you do so?? surely you can?.

I was told yesterday that you can add DDP up to, something like, 2 days before check-in. I wouldn't wait that long, but maybe think on it a month or so. BTW- you need to make resies as soon as you can. Some places fill up fast (like 'Ohana and Le Cellier).

HackLaSalle
01-16-2011, 03:23 PM
I'd vote FOR the DDP. It made our life so much easier knowing we did not have to worry about the cost of food while we were in the park. Being incredibly budget concious it helped that I knew almost everything was paid in advance before I got to the park. That was less money I felt I was spending while I was ON vaction and more that I paid FOR my vacation.

To me planning out all our TS was a great fun part of our trip planning too.

KennyandKim
01-16-2011, 03:41 PM
It is worth it to us because we are a family of 5 although only 4 of us are going on our next trip. Although it costs us 184/day for DDP. We could probably eat less than that on some days but we do like TS meals so that would be 120/day and that is if we go to one that is 30pp. We are staying Club level this time and I really thought seriously about not doing the DP but I don't want to be watching money on food so DP it is for us.

KeriWDE
01-16-2011, 04:41 PM
My husband claims he won't go to WDW WITHOUT the DDP.

Our family = me, hubby, daughter (10) and son (4).

We eat a breakfast every single day. It may be a piece of toast or an apple and coffee. But we eat it. Yes, it could be (and will be) handled with a snack credit.

We eat a lunch and a dinner every single day.

We like the buffets, because it allows for a variety of choices for the kids (and us) without "committing" to a single dish that we may regret.

We like one TS meal per day. We find that it is a great chance to rest our feet and relax and improve our moods and simply feel better.

CS meals are built into our current plan as well.

We have done the DDP each time we've stayed on property. We've also been to WDW and stayed off property, thus without the DDP. Our opinions and experience tells us that we are less stressed at meals (leading to relaxation) and eat better and make better food choices when we are on the DDP. Why is that? We have kicked this around a LOT over the past 2 weeks as we've debated on upgrading from the free QS plan to the regular DDP and now going to the Deluxe DP.

It's a lot of money for the DDP - any level. It's a lot of money to eat the food sold at WDW. We choose to pay for the meals up-front via the DDP and choose whatever we want. This always results in a net savings for us. Now that our daughter is 10 and orders from the adult menu (and is TERRIBLY excited about it, by the way) we will be able to provide the food for her that she will most enjoy and not worry about each penny.

Basically, we have spoiled ourselves to the DDP.

The DxDP allows us to do a couple of Signature restaurants and not worry about the bill costing a few hundred dollars.

Use your credits to get the most bang for the buck. Eat where you want. Order what you want. You'll definitely save money that way.

Now, if they'd just include the tip in the plan again...

Have fun. Let the DDP take the stress out of paying for your meals when you're at WDW. You'll enjoy your meals more, thus you'll enjoy your trip more.

KennyandKim
01-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Use the Dining plan Estimator here on Intercot. We used this and put in where we want to eat. We just picked CS at random because we aren't sure which ones we would actually eat at. It will tell you if this is a good value for your family. It says it would be a moderate value for us so we are going for it. From 1-5 it gave us a 3 for value.

whitney37354
01-20-2011, 02:36 PM
DxDP was worth it for us because we did two TS (most of them character meals) & 1 CS everyday. We brought home tons of snacks too. I calculated that we saved around $200.

When we get to go again, we might do the regular DP or even QSDP, because we don't normally eat 2 large meals every day, and don't need all the snacks either. We might even pay OOP & share some QS meals.

javamama
01-22-2011, 11:31 PM
This is the first time we are not doing the DDP, because we are in the club level. The past times we've stayed there we didn't take full advantage of it, this time we plan on doing so. We still we do two TS/Character meals since it would be hard not to with the kids. Otherwise, it will be CS meals and club snacking/breakfast for us this trip. It's a shorter trip for us as well this time 5 nights, I'm still expecting to spend 300 min on food for our trip for the four of us! but that's better than the 600 it could cost us!

A Big Kid
01-23-2011, 09:21 AM
For us, the DDP just adds to the "crowd misery index." Of course, the crowd being in our stomachs!

It is just too much food, unless your family has really big appetites.

In previous years, if we didnt use all our credits, even though we scrambled to to do, it wasnt that painful because it was such a good idea.

The last couple of trips, we just pay out of pocket, we dont feel like we have to eat as much in order to get our money's worth so we avoid that overstuffed feeling.

As for those who like that it is paid for in advance, use the envelope system.

When we start planning for our next trip, we have envelopes labled such as food, kennels, souveniers, mousekeeping, etc.

By the time we leave, we have everything paid for.

mickey_M_lvr
01-24-2011, 12:36 PM
I too am another that will not go to Disney without our DP. We go on the DxDP and LOVE IT!!!! We have the freedom to go where we want and choose what we want. Yes we pay the tip but..you would tip anyway, wouldn't you?!?! DH and I have had some very expensive meals and walked away only paying for the tip.

I also feel a good knowing I don't have to worry about budgeting for meals. That can take the fun right out of your vaca.

Also when it comes to your situation...your BIL and SIL w/ kids...Wouldn't they want to take the kids to a character meal? That is about $30pp. Ouch!

I guess I find the greatness in the DP because it works for us.

mook3y
01-24-2011, 08:29 PM
As stated, this is something you really have to run the numbers for your own family.

At 45.99 per day for adult, you certainly could spend more than that for a snack, CS meal and meal, drink & dessert at a TS.

But you can also spend quite a bit less than that too.

Our previous 4 trips, we had the DDP and loved trying all the restaurants and not having to worry about what we wanted to order. The first 2 trips the DDP was free and was a no brainer.

But since they have changed how the plan works (no appetizer, tip not included), we have decided to try going without the plan, keep all our receipts and compare what we spend to what the DDP would cost.

I doubt we will come close and here are my reasons for thinking so.

We rarely eat dessert's and we feel like we force ourselves to eat dessert to feel like we are getting our money's worth
It is just so much food. Even when we use the DDP, we usually split a couple of meals to have extra credits for Signature dining. When we split a meal, we do not leave hungry.
this year, we will have access to the club ameneties

We plan on eating breakfast in the club most mornings. We do want to go to Boma & Cape May for breakfast.

We will eat more CS meals this year so that we spend less time in restaurants.

We also plan to hit up the club for snacks before going to a sitdown meal so that splitting a meal, getting an appetizer (much better than desert in our book) will be more than enough food for us, but still let us eat at our favorite restaurants.

There is the added benefit that we wont spend as much time this trip getting to the restaurant and eating.

We realize it isn't quite a fair comparison as we will have access to all the snacks and food items.

waymickey
01-24-2011, 08:30 PM
we have never done the dining plan and don't plan on doing it unless it is free. It just doesn't add up. And now without tips included you need to add around 15-20$ to each day. We also tend to go for the CS more often and we usually do not eat lunch.

Fastpasssteve
01-24-2011, 10:10 PM
This last trip down with a family friend, we tried the Deluxe Dining Plan. We both love to eat and eat well. We did learn a couple things, though:

1) We had a lot of really good food.

2) We felt as if we were being run by a tight, heavy schedule of eating.

3) It lacked enough free time in between feedings. (I began to feel a certain empathy with baby calves being force-fed milk to become veal.)

4) We wouldn't have had some of the great food we had if we had not been on the plan.

So, we came to a conclusion. The Deluxe Dining Plan is a good deal if you like dining at Signature Restaurants. The DxDP offers three TS meals a day. If we had eaten breakfast and then applied the day's remaining 2 credits (most days) to a Signature Restaurant for the evening meal, that would have been great!

Example:
So, breakfast at 1900 Park Fare
and then use the remaining 2 credits to go to the California Grill or
The Yachtsman Steakhouse or
Jiko

OR

If you like some of the buffets ( I love Boma and Biergarten!) you might do the following:

Have an early lunch instead of breakfast (1 TS credit) and use the remaining 2 credits for a late dinner.

You might also go to a 2 credit lunch at
The Brown Derby located in Hollywood Studios.

You might also go to the Aloha Show or Hoop De Doo Review (both 2 credits).

This way one can feel like there is unstructured time, eat good food, and not feel force-fed.

What do you think?

mook3y
01-25-2011, 10:35 AM
What do you think?

Boy as much food as the regular dining plan is, I would probably need to purchase new clothes by the end of a 2 week vacation! :D

The amount of time spent eating could be crazy and stressful.

What is attractive to us about the deluxe plan is we could order room service for a late night snack. You can eat at all the Signature restaurants - YUM.

If we ever do this, we would likely eat at every Signature restaurant on property. So far we have tried Yachtsman steakhouse, Narcoossee's (3x), Citrico's & the newly designated as signature Le Cellier. Far and away excellent meals! Narcoossee's and Citrico's top our list so far.

Now if they would let you trade in 3 or 4 credits for dinner at V&A I would be on :cloud9:

Dulcee
01-25-2011, 10:51 AM
We love using the dining plan but have thus far only done the basic dining plan. Personally I like knowing that meals are paid for in advance and I don't need to look at the prices on a menu.

I also can't imagine going to WDW without doing one TS a day.

My Fiance and I are looking forward to a honeymoon trip in 2012 and I'm hoping/wishing/dreaming that we can swing the Deluxe Dining Plan, not because we often do two TS meals a day but because I'd love to book the majority of our dinners at signature dining restaurants and again not have to worry about the check coming at the end of the night.

That's just my thoughts...

rubato
01-26-2011, 03:10 PM
The only way the dining plan is a 'savings' is if you would go to 1 CS restaurant, 1 TS restaurant, and one snack cart each day, making sure to order the most expensive items available and getting a drink and dessert. If you don't normally eat that way, the dining plan isn't a savings. Even free, if you can get a room only discount instead, you can still be ahead of the game, sometimes.

I am not a fan of the dining plan for my family. We are 2 adults and an 11 year old Disney adult. We are not able to eat the way we normally eat at home while on the plan, because my husband is very thrifty, and insists we get our money's worth. ;) I like having the ability to share meals, eat bfast in our room and not have desserts or anything but water with our meals.

Lots of people swear by it, but it only works for some.