PDA

View Full Version : Where should we go?

IloveJack
01-14-2011, 10:44 AM
We're expecting a new baby this June, and I'd like to go somewhere on vacation right before my maternity leave is over (the week leading up to Labor Day, most likely) as I'll use up all my personal leave through May 2012 for mat leave. However, we don't want to spend a lot of money, and DH would like to go relax at the beach. We've never been to the beach together (in 6 years!), because we find it, well, boring (we aren't sun worshippers). So I'm looking for a place where we can spend a day at the beach, spend a couple of days doing non-beach activities, spend another day at the beach, and then go home. In other words, a beach vacation in a location that's not just for beach-goers.

In considering places, here are the technicalities:
- within driving distance (8 hours or less) of Nashville
- friendly for infants and toddlers
- good, clean hotels that don't cost upwards of $200/night (or less, preferably)
- a beach that not's super crowded in late August
- activites/entertainment that aren't just thrill-rides, as we'll have two very young children with us

Thanks for any ideas!

Scar
01-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Although I have no specific recomendations for you, I would like to suggest The Gulf Coast. They could use your tourist dollars. :thumbsup:

Tick-Tock
01-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Check out Mobile, Alabama. I remember visiting there when I was a kid. They have a battleship to tour and other attractions.

buzznwoodysmom
01-16-2011, 07:18 PM
I did something similar after having my second child. My oldest was 2, and the baby almost 3 months when we went on a beach vacation the last week of my maternity leave. We went to Gulf Shores, Alabama. I'm not sure how far of a drive that is for you, it may be too far. We stayed at the Plantation Resort. It was away from the beach strip, and was very quiet and family friendly. There are several pools, kiddie pools, even an indoor pool which we used often since we had the baby with us (tried to keep him out of the sun as much as possible). I believe they had a mini golf course on property, a small restaurant, and wasn't far from a cool old military fort, that our 2 year old loved running around. We also did stuff like mini golf and shopping on the days we didn't feel like hanging out on the beach. What about trying Disney's Hilton Head Island resort in South Carolina? That might be closer to you than the gulf beaches, and its Disney, sure to be family friendly, but might be pricey. Good luck.

Magic Smiles
01-16-2011, 09:03 PM
I have no suggestions, but am I reading that you only get 3 months maternity leave? In Canada we get 1 year paid maternity/parental leave. Can't imagine going back to work after 3 months, especially if you have more children at home.:(

IloveJack
01-18-2011, 11:41 AM
I have no suggestions, but am I reading that you only get 3 months maternity leave? In Canada we get 1 year paid maternity/parental leave. Can't imagine going back to work after 3 months, especially if you have more children at home.:(

Yep, sort of. (And I know, makes me want to move to Cananda to have my children). I get no paid leave, but by law, get 12 weeks of unpaid leave. I teach, so technically, I could take off until October, as that'd be 12 weeks of work. But we can't afford it, so I have to go back then. Not fun. But made it through with my first.

And thanks for the ideas, guys. Gulf Shores isn't too far, just thought of it as a only-beach location. Maybe not. I'll look into it. I'd love to go to Disney's HHI, but definitely can't afford it, unless they have some kind of special deal.

DisneyDog
01-19-2011, 06:07 PM
We are thinking about going to Williamsburg, VA this summer. It's not too far from Virginia Beach. Not sure how far away you want to travel, but the more I research, the more I think you get a lot of bang for your buck there.

disney obsessed
01-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Virginia Braach is great. Of course, I live here. The beach here is wonderful(wide, clean and family frienly), Williamsburg(Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens and Water Country) is about 1 hour from here without traffic. With traffic it can take up to two hours! There is a tunnel under the water between here and there. For some reason people are unable to maintain their speed through the tunnel. There is frequently construction. I will be glad when they have finished the upgrades to the highway between here and Richmond. We also get a lot of visitors in the summer which adds to the traffic coming in and going out of town. If you are considering coming to the area and want to spend more than one day at the beach, I would book separate stays between the two cities. I think that it may take longer than eight hours to get here from Nashville, but worth the drive.

MarkC
01-25-2011, 04:05 PM
This is not your typical beach, but I love visiting Chicago, and as a St. Louis Cardinal and Green Bay Packer fan it pains me to say that. However, they do have a beach although its small. Plus, their museums are awesome and you may want to take in some of those that are more adult oriented, as this will be the last time you get to enjoy those for years. The other posters did have some good suggestions as well, so wherever you go it will be fun.

magicalmom
02-14-2011, 09:55 PM
I second the Gulf Coast - the part I know is the Gulf side of Florida, from Sarasota on down, and it's terrific. Sharks' teeth in Venice, alligators in Myakka State Park, Lipenzanner (sp??) horses near Myakka, Ringling Art Museum and home and a circus museum in Sarasota - bird sanctuaries, and gorgeous beaches. Not very crowded in August/September.