PDA

View Full Version : Please help me! :)

JackieMomTo3
01-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Hello everyone!! I have a question, and figured I would ask here. I have searched for the answer to my question online and I honestly am becoming depressed! I am planning to visit Disney World, mainly MK, AK and maybe Epcot for the fireworks at night, on Friday Feb 25, 2011. This is the Friday after Presidents Day. I know what you are thinking---busy week! I had no idea it was a busy week. I actually thought it would be slow! I can not reschedule my visit. I will be visiting my grandparents (grandpa worked at the MK for 27 years!). All the posts I have read referred to last year, with the super bowl, daytona races etc. Is it really THAT bad:confused:? I am used to Thanksgiving crowds but have been in January when we zipped through lines. Please help me! I am scared and so not excited anymore :( Thinking this may have been a very bad idea! BTW I will be going with my 17 year old sister, and three boys who are 8, 5 and 2. Thanks in advance from a very concerned mommy!

forever a child
01-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Welcome to Intercot!

I am sorry... I am not sure exactly what your question is. Are you asking about crowd levels or some advise to deal with crowds, or about the fireworks?

JackieMomTo3
01-14-2011, 12:00 AM
Thank you! I am asking about the crowds! Thanks!!

Is it really that bad? I will be there on Friday the 25th, that is the Friday after Presidents Day.

CleveRocks
01-14-2011, 06:05 AM
Yes, it is expected to be quite crowded that day.

The two best things you can do are to lower your expectations and to get to a park before it opens.

Lower your expectations: it won't be empty like you're used to in January, there will be long lines for rides and attractions. You won't be able to do as many rides/attractions as you want, so you need to choose which ones you'll hit and decide you'll be satisfied with those. This is key; if you expect to hit every ride/attraction that you want in the time allotted, you WILL be disappointed, but if you go into it knowing you won't be able to do it all, you'll be able to relax and enjoy what you DO get to do.

Part of lowering your expectations is, I'm sorry to say, it won't be wise for you to plan to go to both Magic Kingdom AND Animal Kingdom on that single day. You will be spending time in lines, and therefore switching parks will just take away precious time. Going to Epcot as you describe it is different, as it sounds like you're going just for IllumiNations and not for any rides/attractions.

Get to a park before it opens: If you get there before it opens, then you will be heading to your first ride/attraction at the moment the park opens to the public. You will get more done in that first hour than you otherwise would in the following 2-3 hours due to the relative lack of crowds in the first hour or so.

Do you know how to use FASTPASS to your advantage? If not, please ask here, many of us would be happy to help.

faline
01-14-2011, 09:08 AM
That is, unfortunately, a very busy week. The best you can do is know that ahead of time and use fast pass to help you hit the highlights of the park.

Tick-Tock
01-14-2011, 10:28 AM
It will be busy but not impossible. The other posters have given good advice about making good use of your time. If you want to eat at a sit-down restaurant, be sure to make your reservations ahead. When we went that week a few years ago, on the Thursday and Friday every sit-down restaurant in MK and Epcot was closed to walk-ups.

MarkC
01-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Jackie, you don't say where you are from or if you are familiar with the parks. You can still have a great time, but understand that its very doubtful your kids can make it through a full day from morning to fireworks time. If you have a spot to take them to nap in the afternoon do so. The parks are normally busiest in the middle of the afternoon. Just pick out what your priorities are and hit those. It doesn't look like there are any early entries for that day, so pick your favorite park and go there first. Be sure to get there about 30 minutes before the park opens and try to have your tickets purchased in advance. Have a plan and act accordingly. Just remember your kids will have a lot more fun if you show as little stress as possible. When we go places where there are going to be a lot of crowds we even mentally prepare the kids by telling them we will be standing in some lines and waiting. Have some games or snacks or other items for them to occupy their time, which will help.

And try to remember that even when things don't always go exactly the way you hope, your kids memory will be of the great times and rides and not of any tears shed, etc.

Momto3littlemice
01-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Don't worry! While this is a very busy time, that doesn't mean that you can't have a wonderful time! I agree with pp that you should get to the parks before opening and plan to see highlights with fastpass -- trying to do it all will result in an exhausted group with unmet expections. Having said that, I would give that same advice to anyone with kids going anytime! Realize it will be crowded and just stay magical... you will have an amazing time! I would also say that it will very likely not be terribly hot and therefore will be much more pleasant than going in the late spring/summer weatherwise (always good to look on the bright side!).:mickey:

Tygger7
01-14-2011, 02:19 PM
I did some digging around and checked a couple of the crowd calculators. They're not 100% accurate, but give you a decent idea of what to expect. I specifically looked up Feb. 25th, and it says the Magic Kingdom will be the best park that day, and that Epcot is anticipated to be the "worst" park that day. On a scale of 1 to 10, they're predicting an 8...which means expect 45 to 70 minute wait times at Magic Kingdom. Keep in mind that the Princess Half Marathon is going on that weekend as well, but it does say that crowds should be down to a "2" on Sunday, Feb. 27th.

Finally, don't forget....there are no fireworks at AK. :mickey: