PDA

View Full Version : Ponchos for Large Men ?

jcvalenti
01-12-2011, 02:35 PM
We're planning another trip in July, and after 6 summer trips in the last 14 years, my goal this time around is to finally get a decent poncho.

I'm a large guy (6'3", 275), and every poncho I've bought so far (especially the cheap Disney ones) seems to cut off just below my waist, resulting in soaking wet shorts whenever the summer deluge hits (ie, at 3:30 every single day I'm there). I don't mind the rain, but I keep most of my electronics in my short pockets, and I get sick of the rain soaking my money, cell phone, camera, etc.

Anyone have a good source for a high quality , packable poncho that might offer a little more length than the "one size fits all" models ? Any online sources appreciated.

I tried buying an expensive one at REI the other week, but it had the same problem - clearly designed for someone around 5'8", as it didn't even reach my knees.

faline
01-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Sorry - no sources for you.

My husband is 5'10" but also has trouble with the ponchos. He can't ever seem to get in or out of one without tearing it - rendering it useless for future wearings!

finaldynasty
01-12-2011, 03:30 PM
I don't know of a place to buy a poncho. I've been on the same hunt as you. I a 6'1, 330 and usually buy a bunch of ponchos for my family and when it does rain I throw one one. I have zip loc bags with me to place my cell phone, glasses and wallet. This is very helpful for water rides as well. Good luck in your search. Hopefully, one of our brothers in girth will have a better suggestion...:mickey:

jcvalenti
01-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Sorry - no sources for you.

My husband is 5'10" but also has trouble with the ponchos. He can't ever seem to get in or out of one without tearing it - rendering it useless for future wearings!

Have you tried Target ? They had some real nice, heavy duty ponchos last time I went (in 09). They might work for someone 5'10" .... they were longer than most, and made from a very strong plastic. I doubt he would rip those.

I need to put some serious shopping time in at the local hunting/fishing stores these next couple of weeks. They might have a good solution. Finding one long, heavy duty and yet packable for the parks is going to be a challenge.

PETE FROM NYC
01-12-2011, 11:56 PM
Try a camping supply store, hunting supply, or an Army Navy store.
Bass Pro
Cabelas
Sportsmans Guide

CaptSmee
01-13-2011, 01:01 AM
hmmm...i'm 6'3 almost 300 lbs and have no problem using the Disney ponchos other than having to pull the neck a little to get my head in it. trying an outdoors sporting goods store is a good idea though

kakn7294
01-13-2011, 06:51 AM
I'm only 5'5" but I wanted a longer poncho for myself for high school football games / marching band events. I found one at a local sportswear store but have seen similar items on the internet. Do a google search or check ebay. Mine is a coated fabric and came in it's own carrying case. It had open sides that fastened by 2 snaps on each side but I stitched the sides shut for added protection.

jcvalenti
01-13-2011, 11:35 AM
hmmm...i'm 6'3 almost 300 lbs and have no problem using the Disney ponchos other than having to pull the neck a little to get my head in it. trying an outdoors sporting goods store is a good idea though

Don't you have a problem getting the bottom half of your body soaked while walking in the rain ? I find it hard to believe. The Disney ponchos are great on my wife (5'3"), but to think that me, being a foot taller and 100+ more pounds, can wear the same one as her just doesn't make sense.

I'm definitely making a run through the camping and hunting stores over the next couple weeks. If I find one that works, I'll update this thread so future big guys will know where to look.

Fastpasssteve
01-21-2011, 12:52 AM
Ditch the pancho. They ****. Moist for an entire day in the Magic Kingdom? I think not.

Get an umbrella. They sell them with 'ears' on top.

mickeys_princess_mom
02-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Have you tried Target ? They had some real nice, heavy duty ponchos last time I went (in 09). They might work for someone 5'10" .... they were longer than most, and made from a very strong plastic. I doubt he would rip those.

I need to put some serious shopping time in at the local hunting/fishing stores these next couple of weeks. They might have a good solution. Finding one long, heavy duty and yet packable for the parks is going to be a challenge.

Got a Coleman one at Target for around $8 for my 6'8" husband. Heavier than the Disney ones, too. :wave:

joonyer
02-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Try "roughgear" on a search engine and you'll find some extra long ponchos. Not cheap though.

BrerGnat
02-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Just pack a full sized travel umbrella. It will end up being smaller than a poncho. Carry a BACKPACK on days where rain is likely, and just make sure you keep your pack dry!

I always use umbrellas. Ponchos stink...

ransam
02-07-2011, 01:23 AM
i agree w/ just using a zip lock bag for your cell phone, etc... one thing you can do is go to any shop and just ask for a small bag and you can use that if you forget the zip lock bag...

Auroring Good Time
03-09-2011, 01:06 PM
I picked up ponchos at Dick's Sporting Goods. They are longer and more heavy duty than the Disney ones. I believe they were about $6-8.

brivers222
04-12-2011, 02:18 PM
just be carefull with zip locked bags for electronics!!

I used to do this all the time.. until that one frightful day at Cedar Point in 90-degree rain weather.

It was pouring down and we decided what the heck lets go on the water rides as well. So i put my wallet, keys and phone in seperate zip-loc baggies for safe keeping.

Well i went to get my phone after the rides and rain stopped (we didn't get drenched because ponchos stopped a lot of the water. But what happened was the water, humidity and whatever else seemed to steam my phone... rendering it useless. The humidty snuck into the baggy and destroyed my phone. From that point on i have never placed electronics in a zip-loc baggie and have never had that problem again.

nfrustaci
04-12-2011, 11:35 PM
i never travel to disney world with out my small umbrella. i do also have panchos too for the water rides. i do not like to get my hair wet after i spend time on it in the am. and i also don't like to look grubby when i go to a sit down meal. and to be honest a pancho doesn't keep your face or hands dry. i also find that the collar of my shirt tends to get wet and so do my feet with a pancho but i don't have that problem with an umbrella. anyway good luck, i have also seen larger panchos in Dicks sporting goods as well as the hunting and fishing outdoor sporting online stores.

brownie
04-14-2011, 09:45 AM
I have a packable rain jacket that I use for cool/wet days and bring an emergency rain poncho for the other days just in case.

A packable rain jacket with a backpack or some other type of bag would probably be the way to go.

thrillme
04-14-2011, 01:04 PM
A second poncho and a roll of Duck Tape?;)