PDA

View Full Version : Good, Bad and Ugly

KeriWDE
01-12-2011, 11:36 AM
I have been to WDW several times (see signature, blah blah blah). We are going again next month and it will be our 3rd time on the DDP, so obviously, we try to eat well while we are there.

What I keep seeing here and at forums on other sites is that WDW is "hit and miss" with their dining quality. Naturally, all restaurants are vulnerable to bad reviews, and WDW is no exception.

So, what I'm wondering is why would WDW - the standard for guest service and satisfaction - have anything less than excellent food quality?

Does this seem illogical to anyone else? If Domino's Pizza can do focus groups and start their recipes from scratch because of customer dissatisfaction, then certainly WDW should be listening.

Now, having said that (and realizing this post may go in 2 different directions,) where was your BEST dining experience while at WDW? Where was your WORST dining experience at WDW?

Thankyouverymuch!

Mogie
01-12-2011, 11:44 AM
I hear you. Being a big foodie I tend to go on vacation some times to EAT. That being said I have to slum it at times at some of the fast food type places at Disney for lunches and snacks. They are quick and convenient and get you back on the rides. I think the freshness of ingredients is there as well as good sanitation practices. I would be willing to bet that relatively few people get sick from bad food at Disney. And I know they are marketing food to the masses including picky eater children, but I wish there were healthier choices than the generic junk food. I know there are plenty of restaurants in the parks to choose from, but I would even go so far as to say that the quality of food and authenticity of some of the international choices just isnt there. To experience fine dining, Disney's signature restaurants like Jiko, Napa Rose, CA Grill are outstanding places to eat with some of the best chefs in the business. I would even say that breakfasts at the resorts are quite good. But the fast food places and some of the restaurants in the parks are just awful.

MarkC
01-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Good question-- with people being so different, two people having the same meal are still subject to their own personal tastes, moods, expectations, etc. We've always found the food at Disney to be quite good. We haven't always liked everything but that's the exception.

Some of our best experiences have been at the World Showcase restaurants at Epcot. You can view the menus on this website and find all kinds of reviews elsewhere on line.

My family's personal favorite is the Biergarten, not necessarily because of the food although we really like it. The atmosphere and polka band are the one place we forget we're at Disney. We loved the Sci-Fi Diner, even though the food was average. We still laugh and talk about the videos and atmosphhere. I suggest looking at the menus and finding a spot that suits you best.

SBETigg
01-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Disney is continually working on their food service, changing, perfecting, responding to customer feedback. Not all restaurants inside WDW are run or owned by Disney. It's not as simple as launching an ad campaign to say they're retooling on the one product highlighted, pizza, a la Dominos. Why can't they get it right all the time? Who could? There are too many restaurants, all different, with different goals, serving different foods in different styles, and not all owned and operated by Disney. But I think they do try to please and respond to guest concerns.

Expecting everything to be perfect, or even good, at Disney all the time is like expecting every single restaurant in your town (or even New York City) to be operating at top level with excellent food and service that pleases different customer tastes every visit. It's a large nearly impossible task because WDW is that big. And also, you can't please every customer every time.

My best dining experience was at Bistro de Paris, but I've had many excellent experiences, including some counter service (more good than bad). My worst was at Coral Reef, but I've had about six truly dismal dining experiences at Disney overall (Kona Cafe, Boatwright's, Hollywood and Vine, and some counter service). The rest fall in between, not good or bad, just average.

By the way, the Dominos ad campaign? Not exactly a stellar example of excellent food service. They're basically saying that they fill a need but their food is so bad they have to go on TV to make you trust that they're trying to be better. I wouldn't want that for WDW. For anyone. I think it's a misguided campaign. Why not just stick with a slogan like "Domino's, not that great, but we're here when you're desperate, and we deliver."

chefmickey3
01-12-2011, 12:24 PM
BEST - Cape May Cafe for dinner; we are eating here three times next year when staying at Beach Club because we enjoyed it soooo much!

WORST - It is hard to decide because I am not a very picky eater and think everything has been fine - if I had to pick it would be 50s Prime Time - not because the food was bad but just overpriced for what it is.

KeriWDE
01-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Disney is continually working on their food service, changing, perfecting, responding to customer feedback. Not all restaurants inside WDW are run or owned by Disney. It's not as simple as launching an ad campaign to say they're retooling on the one product highlighted, pizza, a la Dominos. Why can't they get it right all the time? Who could? There are too many restaurants, all different, with different goals, serving different foods in different styles, and not all owned and operated by Disney. But I think they do try to please and respond to guest concerns.

Expecting everything to be perfect, or even good, at Disney all the time is like expecting every single restaurant in your town (or even New York City) to be operating at top level with excellent food and service that pleases different customer tastes every visit. It's a large nearly impossible task because WDW is that big. And also, you can't please every customer every time.

My best dining experience was at Bistro de Paris, but I've had many excellent experiences, including some counter service (more good than bad). My worst was at Coral Reef, but I've had about six truly dismal dining experiences at Disney overall (Kona Cafe, Boatwright's, Hollywood and Vine, and some counter service). The rest fall in between, not good or bad, just average.

By the way, the Dominos ad campaign? Not exactly a stellar example of excellent food service. They're basically saying that they fill a need but their food is so bad they have to go on TV to make you trust that they're trying to be better. I wouldn't want that for WDW. For anyone. I think it's a misguided campaign. Why not just stick with a slogan like "Domino's, not that great, but we're here when you're desperate, and we deliver."

Oh, I agree that the Domino's campaign theme of "we ****, we know, but we're trying, look we took these people to a dairy farm and they're so clueless they didn't know it, but this is where our cheese comes from. woohoo" - fails as for making the point that they are IMPROVING their QUALITY. But the point in advertising is to be remembered, just be remembered. So, we all realize that they are making the effort to retool their menu and quality - equalling success in the ADVERTISEMENT.

Now, do I WANT WDW to do that same sort of campaign? No, probably not. Do I want to know that their franchise standard is a high one? Yes, I do. Do I think they meet that sttandard all (or most) of the time? Probably, but I think there is definite area for improvement in the QS area, specifically, burgers that don't taste like Sonic or Krystal or something from my daughter's lunchroom.

As for their being able to manage the quality of even outside vendors on a property as large and varied and vast as WDW... Yes, I do think they can. To say they can't doesn't make sense to me, since we expect them to - and see them - succeed in managing transportation, theme park rides, hotels, technology, safety, etc., etc. Expecting the same standard for dining is a reasonable expectation, IMHO.

I hope you take this as I intend it, good natured and simply wanting other opinions and reaction. Thank you for your insight.

KeriWDE
01-12-2011, 12:53 PM
And I know they are marketing food to the masses including picky eater children, but I wish there were healthier choices than the generic junk food.

To experience fine dining, Disney's signature restaurants like Jiko, Napa Rose, CA Grill are outstanding places to eat with some of the best chefs in the business. I would even say that breakfasts at the resorts are quite good. But the fast food places and some of the restaurants in the parks are just awful.

Picky eating children? CHECK!

We ate at Jiko in 2009 and really enjoyed it - even with the picky eating children.

I am trying to get ADRs for Ca Grill, but no luckk so far. May try to just call or walk up the night we arrive and see if we can get lucky.

fabfundisney
01-12-2011, 02:44 PM
I would have to say my best meal at WDW to date has been at The Coral Reef. This place receives mixed reviews regurlarly but the chocolate wave cake is to die for. The atmosphere though the dining room is small is great as well

The worst is Boatrights:ack: Cold food and slow service has been my experience.

As far as Disney Dining overall, I think people's expectations are so high that minor issues will tick you off. Afterall, it is Disney and with paying so much, you expect the best of the best. I find that the bar is set extremely high yet Disney seems to deliver most times;).

Ms. Mode
01-12-2011, 02:54 PM
We're just back from WDW and I have to say the food was excellent; however I really liked the food at Boatwrights. It was the first time we ate there and the food is just GREAT. On the flip side was Liberty Tree....not so great. :mickey:

PittFan
01-12-2011, 02:58 PM
The BEST we've had would have to be LeCellier. We have eaten there 7 times and absolutely loved it. That being said, we cannot justify using 2 TS credits for ANY restaurant including LeCellier, so I doubt that we will be eating there anytime soon.

The WORST we had was O'hana. Everything was overcooked and dry.

SBETigg
01-12-2011, 02:59 PM
As for their being able to manage the quality of even outside vendors on a property as large and varied and vast as WDW... Yes, I do think they can. To say they can't doesn't make sense to me, since we expect them to - and see them - succeed in managing transportation, theme park rides, hotels, technology, safety, etc., etc. Expecting the same standard for dining is a reasonable expectation, IMHO.

I hope you take this as I intend it, good natured and simply wanting other opinions and reaction. Thank you for your insight.

Absolutely good natured, no problems. I understand what you're saying. I didn't say they can't manage the quality. I'm saying I think they do to the full extent that it's possible to do so and do it well and consistently. It's a tall order. I think they do as well managing the food as they do all the other areas.

Can they do a better job? Maybe. Are they trying? I think they are. I think they're always working at it. But excellence and perfection across the board? No one would say that simply good is good enough, but what is reasonable to expect? We differ on that, I think. I think they do reasonably well. I've had some amazing meals at WDW, and as I said earlier, far more good than bad. Not that I am a total Pollyanna. There are certain things I haven't liked at Disney (pizza for instance, finally there's Via Napoli, but that's about the only pizza I like on property), and those places just don't get my return business, or I just make other more dependable choices at WDW.

HoosierDisneyFan
01-12-2011, 07:02 PM
I actually think the resturants at WDW are quite good. I have read some of the bad reviews of various places and wondered if people just there on a off night or overly critical.

Now don't get me wrong, not everything I have had at WDW I would order again but I think that is more of a "personal taste" judgement than the quality of the food / resturant.

The variety of food options (and the DDP!) are one of the best parts of WDW for me.

forever a child
01-12-2011, 10:23 PM
As I thought about my answer to your question, I was happy that I had more answers for "Best" than for "Worst" :thumbsup:

BEST: Filet @ Le Cellier, Beef Tips @ Akershus, Everything @ Boma, Onion rings @ Sci-Fi, Chocolate Shake @ WCC

WORST: Rotisserie Chicken at Pepper Market, dry and tasteless. Pasta @ Everything Pop Food court, greasy to the point of sickening.

I do think there could be more healthy options at the Counter Service locations but just like in the real world...eating healthy is expensive and junk food is more readily available and cheaper.

Crow
01-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Best & Worst could be the same place at diff times..or a great meal once & only so-so another time. Ive experienced this at Marrakesh, Les Chefs, etc
and best for theme for instance San Angel, but most dont think the food matches.
Narcoosees didnt do it for me; only ok. but many people like it.
among my best would be Artist Pt &CA Grill for higher price places... Trails End for value, Pecos Bills for burgers and fixins .Tokyo Dining for food & service.

lovin'fl
01-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Our worst dining experience was Marrakesh. We thought the food was blah and we didn't get to see the belly dancers very well(they were too far from our table). I also did not like Cap'N Jacks, but my DH did. We got lobster and I thought it was Red Lobster quality, if even. And the wait was long and service slow. Spoodles did not thrill us either, but was ok. I was also not too thrilled with Whispering Canyon. The only place, though, that we won't ever do again is Marrakesh...it's the very worst place, IMO. Oh yeah, and we did CRT for breakfast and thought it was a big fat waste of 2TS. Won't do that 1 again either.

Our faves are the dinner shows, Jiko, Cape May, 'Ohana, Le Cellier and Biergarten. We liked Boatwright's a lot too. We do Liberty Tree a lot and like it, but it may be more of a tradition for us. Boma was awesome the first time, but just ok the second. We went to Coral Reef once, when it was a signature, and it was pretty yummy.

The 'middle of the run' places for us are: Sci-Fi, San Angel, Chef Mickey, Artist Point, Olivia's, Hollywood Brown Derby(did for lunch and was disappointed), Big River Grille and Yak and Yeti.
That's about all the places we've done (plus T-Rex and Rainforest- not part of DDP and not that great, but fun for the kids).

mom2morgan
01-13-2011, 01:27 PM
I know you take your chances just about anywhere, but I have to say I've never had a "bad" experience. I enjoy the food more in some places than others, and service can vary from really attentive to a bit slow, but I've never actually had food OR service bad enough to complain about. Some have gone well out of their way...we were accomodated at Trails End despite being more than an hour late for our ressie (had NO idea it would take that long to get their by boat on a Hoop-De-Doo night), and a waiter at Chef Mickey's that was brusque and impersonal enough to put us off a bit at first, noticed right away that Goofy had "missed us" and hurried right off to get him back at our table without us even mentioning it. Okay, so maybe the food isn't 5 star - Disney has such HUGE volume coming through all the time - but I'm happy to eat there :-)

mom2morgan
01-13-2011, 01:31 PM
The BEST we've had would have to be LeCellier. We have eaten there 7 times and absolutely loved it. That being said, we cannot justify using 2 TS credits for ANY restaurant including LeCellier, so I doubt that we will be eating there anytime soon.

The WORST we had was O'hana. Everything was overcooked and dry.

I agree about the 2 TS credits, but I believe Le Cellier's lunch is still one. Are the portions a great deal smaller? I want to try this one and can't decide whether to go for lunch, or dinner and pay OOP>

forever a child
01-13-2011, 01:50 PM
I agree about the 2 TS credits, but I believe Le Cellier's lunch is still one. Are the portions a great deal smaller? I want to try this one and can't decide whether to go for lunch, or dinner and pay OOP>

I am wondering about that too. Not sure if we will know until the change occurs in March. I have to start planing for ADR's soon too and not sure if we want to do Le Cellier again or try somewhere new. Decisions, Decisions....:crazy:

lynnek
01-13-2011, 03:34 PM
We really enjoyed the dining at Disney. Where else can you go and easily find that amount of non-chain restaurants? Yes, we do frequent NYC for that same reason. I think our favorites were Sanaa(because of a review I read here, or I would have missed it--thanks Sherri:), Boma for breakfast, and Yak and Yeti for lunch. Non-favorite would have to be Whispering Canyon--the food didn't work for us there.

Scar
01-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Best - Bistro de Paris

Worst - Hollywood & Vine

KeriWDE
01-13-2011, 04:39 PM
I suppose it would be relevant to share my own experiences and opinions. I'm certain you want them. ;)

Worst - Marrakesh - not really our favorite flavor combinations. We were hungry, curious and without ADRs or cravings. We were seated quickly, since it was nearly empty. Yet we were given horrible seats at the back of the room and with a huge support beam between us and the dance floor. The food was probably ok, but it's just not our thing.

Tony's Town Square - bad service, mediocre Chef Boy'ardee sauces. Seriously, I can do a better marinara and alfredo sauce. If *I* can make a good sauce, then they can do better than opening a jar of Prego.

H&V - Playhouse Disney Breakfast - This was for the then 2 y-0 son who had a thing for Little Einsteins. We had ADRs at opening of the restaurant and were surprised that there were very few people there. The buffet wasn't fully stocked - see above. And, frankly, it wasn't the cleanest kept buffet I've encountered there. The waffle/pancake stand with lots of toppings for the kids was a disaster. Which was a mystery, since there were very few people there. Leo, Quincy, June and someone else made up for it. Got a great picture of my son giving June a kiss on the cheek - minutes before he threw up all over himself. (vomiting = onset of ear infection for him = BAD) NEVERTHELESS, we have it scheduled again since there will be new characters and he is older and I'll usually give a 2nd chance to a place that OUGHT to be good.

Crystal Palace - meh. Just meh. We had dinner there on our first family trip when the daughter was 4. She loved the character interaction. But the food was just mediocre buffet, over-salted fare. I remember similar dishes from Morrison's Cafeterias with my grandmother.

Chefs de France - (ducking) I know there are several out there who swear by this place as delicious and elegant and wonderful and glorious. Our experience was the server was ALMOST rude and distracted and unable to handle the hustle and bustle of the job. The food was just ok. We were on the Deluxe DDP and decided to try things we might not try if we were paying OOP. That may have been to blame. Whatever. I had lamb, I think, and I like lamb, and I didn't like this lamb. The best thing about that night was the desserts. yummmmm... Also good: knowing that the antibiotics in my son were going to help his ear heal.

Best - Le Cellier - hands down more awesomer than anywhere else to us. Can't wait to go again next month!

Tutto Italia - We love Italian food. It was delicious. From appetizers to entree to desserts - wonderful.

Cinderella's Royal Table - for the character interaction. The breakfast is better food to me than the dinner. The $$$ of it is prohibitive, so it keeps it low on our priority list.

Tusker House & 1900 Park Fare - best character breakfasts - good food, buffet style (which I prefer over family style). TH is good and has some great variety. Always clean and pleasant way to start a day at AK or MK.

Wish List - a good burger stand. Gosh, how I crave a good fast food burger that has FLAVOR. We eat at Cosmic Ray's each time we go, because it is convenient. I just wish it were BETTER.

To Do List - Plaza Restaurant, Main Street Bakery, Liberty Tree Tavern, Flame Tree Barbecue

Thanks for the discussion!

KeriWDE
01-13-2011, 04:44 PM
I think our favorites were Sanaa(because of a review I read here, or I would have missed it--thanks Sherri:)

Where is Sanaa? Tell me about it.

SBETigg
01-13-2011, 06:11 PM
You're welcome, Lynne. So glad you liked it.

Sanaa is in the Kidani section of Animal Kingdom Lodge. It's Indian-African inspired-- some great flavors, but not too wild or crazy. Wonderful naan (flatbreads) with dipping sauces of your choice, and curries (not spicy, like you might think of curry, but delicious stew-like dishes), and other dishes. Check out the menu at Info Central. The decor is fun and different (not unlike the AKL itself), and you're overlooking the animal grazing area, so keeps kids and adults occupied. It's one of our new favorites. Definitely not a cookie-cutter dining experience.

lynnek
01-14-2011, 06:45 AM
And don't forget the Chai Tea dessert! Yummy! And normally I go for chocolate. They do an interesting thing for birthdays or celebrations too---not too embarassing, but neat. My three kids liked it a lot--12, 10 and 2. The 2 yr old liked the dipping with the bread.