PDA

View Full Version : Star Tours II - New Cabins?

JabberJaws
01-12-2011, 09:00 AM
So I know that Star Tours II involves a new film, 3D, and likely new in-cabin effects. Question is, are they replacing the cabins and the simulator technology itself?

I LOVE Star Tours, but you can tell the simulator "nuts and bolts" are ollldd. The jerky motion as the simulator moves around is a sign of age. I've heard that the cabins in Storm Rider at TDS are smooth and fluid. I would assume they would take this chance to upgrade the actual cabin technology as well as the effects and film, but hadn't heard anything specific.

KylesMom
01-12-2011, 10:44 AM
DH, DS and I were just discussing this last weekend while working on our ADR schedule. Information on ST2.0 has been sketchy, to say the least. Even in the Vacation Planning DVD they say something to the effect of, "I can't say much about it now" . I haven't found any real good rumors to indicate if the simulators are going to be new or not - but I sure hope so! :darth:

JabberJaws
01-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Yeah you would think that given the long down time they would basically just be gutting the interior (at least the simulator cabin area) and replacing it w/ the new generation simulators. I will be highly disappointed if it is still the choppy, jerky motion of the old gen sims. We will see though.

Stu29573
01-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Still, not to rain on anyone's parade, look how long Space Mountain was down and what they did in that time.... Just saying....

KylesMom
01-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Still, not to rain on anyone's parade, look how long Space Mountain was down and what they did in that time.... Just saying....
Call me an optimist - but I'd HOPE that with Lucas being involved they wouldn't have gotten this far without it being a top-notch replacement and not just a revamped movie in a broken down sim. Like I said, call me an optimist . . .

The rumors of ST2.0 were out for several years before it was ever announced, so obviously some serious development took place before Disney and Lucas decided to put a replacement in instead of scrapping an old attraction. I for one am keeping my fingers crossed!

JakeontheCob
01-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Is there any talk of even when it will be opening back up? I would think it would before Star Wars weekend but just curious if it will be open when we go in Mid-March.

JabberJaws
01-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Is there any talk of even when it will be opening back up? I would think it would before Star Wars weekend but just curious if it will be open when we go in Mid-March.

I heard it was May 10 for DL and May 17 for WDW. Since they are identical we should know what WDW is getting before it opens up thx to DL.

Mufasa
01-12-2011, 05:16 PM
DH, DS and I were just discussing this last weekend while working on our ADR schedule. Information on ST2.0 has been sketchy, to say the least. Even in the Vacation Planning DVD they say something to the effect of, "I can't say much about it now" . I haven't found any real good rumors to indicate if the simulators are going to be new or not - but I sure hope so! :darth:

Well, we had to put Yoda to work on something, but he's too short to really be of much use physically in the cabins (that, and he tends to keep going through everyone's toolbox and stealing things) so we figured we'd put his Jedi mind tricks to use which is why information has been so limited. :yoda:

So while there seems to a sense of "bad feelings about this"- not to worry. After all, in the Star Wars Universe things usually turn out just fine and better than expected (ok, maybe not so for the inhabitants of Alderaan who didn't see anything coming).

Melanie
01-12-2011, 05:50 PM
After all, in the Star Wars Universe things usually turn out just fine and better than expected

Hmmm. Sounds promising. ;)

finaldynasty
01-16-2011, 11:15 PM
I agree with PP that with the attraction being down so long that this should be a pretty different attraction. I am glad this attraction was addressed because the SW franchise is about being cutting edge and ST was not on the cutting edge anymore.