PDA

View Full Version : Schools Closed

luvdiznee
01-12-2011, 06:50 AM
So when and if the schools close in your area due to weather or whatever else may come up, do you wake the sleeping kids and tell them ( if they are still asleep). Or do you let them see how long they will stay in bed, if they will even try to get up? :thedolls:

DD13 school just closed and she is still in bed at 6:40 am et when she usually gets up with my help at 6:30. :cloud9:

kaylamag
01-12-2011, 07:28 AM
I let them sleep, we have a 2 hour delay today. DD11 got up at normal time and DD5 is still in bed (at 7:30am).

hannahandkalebmom
01-12-2011, 07:51 AM
I let them sleep in. I always love a little quiet time while drinking my hot tea in the morning.:D

deedeebee
01-12-2011, 09:48 AM
I would let them sleep! DD13 is an early riser:confused: She takes it upon herself to wake DS15 and DD12:( She also has to tell everyone how many days til Disney, 46:mickey:

Janmac
01-12-2011, 10:03 AM
It depends. Used to be, our local school waited til the absolute last minute to call school off. When our grandson was in elementary school, we'd let him sleep and tell him when he woke up. When he was in high school, I'd announce "no school" without attempting to wake him up. He'd hear and be glad but wouldn't wake up all the way, so he could enjoy sleeping in.

This year, tho, the school has been cancelling the evening before, so our grandniece knows when she goes to bed. Normal school wake-up is 6:30, so when it's a snow day she sleeps in, at least until 7:30.

Don't know when they changed. They also take more time off at holidays now.

Jan

clausjo
01-12-2011, 10:08 AM
We had our first snow day on Monday. Having just moved a few weeks ago from sunny Florida, this is very new to us. I didn't wake my son, figuring that it would be better just to let him sleep. When he got up, around 7 (normal time to get up is about 6:15), he asked me why I didn't wake him to tell him school was cancelled?!! Daughter's school doesn't start until very late so she always gets up on her own around 7:30ish. So, now I guess I'll be waking him up from now on!

lettripp
01-12-2011, 10:27 AM
An alternative approach my parents took when my sisters and I were in elementary school:

Tell them there is school! Get them dressed in snow suits with their backpacks and let them out the door and try to make the way out in knee-waist deep snow. Take a picture, tell them you were kidding and to go play!

I know it sounds cruel, but it is one of my favorite memories from growing up :-)

Keep in mind - my parents were also inclined to surprise us about almost every Disney vacation at that age - hence sharing here :mickey:

kakn7294
01-12-2011, 10:30 AM
I let them sleep until I have to wake them up for a 2 hr delay. Today though, we are closed. I hope this doesn't mean bad things for my trip next week. I scheduled it because the kids had a day off of school.

JenniferS.
01-12-2011, 10:55 AM
We usually know the night before if school will be cancelled, so the kids already know. If not, I would let them sleep as long as they want and I would go back to bed myself!!! lol We have no school today and the kids knew last night!!! They were all up around 7:00 anyway..usual time. :(

luvdiznee
01-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Well, she got to sleep an hour and a half more then I just said to her "just because school is closed doesn't mean you can sleep all day". But it was nice having that extra quiet time for me. I had to go to work and she has to be up before I leave.

princessjojo
01-12-2011, 01:23 PM
I usually let them sleep in. Funny thing though is when they woke up Tuesday, my older DS was anxious and stressed. He had looked at the clock and saw the time, 7:50, and was worried about being late to school since his finals were supposed to start this week.

princessgirls
01-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Who remembers the snow days of our youth...listening for the fire alarms to go off at 6:30am and 7:30am in my town or waiting for an announcement on the radio/cable. If it was really bad out the night before then the class mom's had to do the phone chain...
I'm not that old...only in my early 40's...
We get an automated phone call now, and I have to both my cell and home numbers.

They called school off already last night, so it was party time. No bed time, and the kids slept in.
Last week, I got a call at 5:03am and I let them sleep in, and when they did get up they came running in my room, saying we are LATE MOM!! No worries...no school!
Personally, as a working parent, I prefer the "delayed opening". Now, we have had two snow days in a week. Fun times...
Julie:mickey:

lettripp
01-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Now, we have had two snow days in a week. Fun times...
Julie:mickey:

I know this feeling! My town just called tomorrow as closed so that makes 2 days in a row here in CT... At least we have 3 snow days built into the schedule so it won't go into summer!

Magic Smiles
01-12-2011, 07:03 PM
As we live in Ottawa, Canada, my DS's schools have never closed for a "SNOW DAY". The school buses may be canceled, but then he never took the school bus either. Poor kid ;) He usually still went to school on the days that school buses were canceled as his elementary school only had a very few students that took the bus (only 3 bus loads of students for a kindergarten to grade 8 school) and the kids would usually have more fun at school playing around with their friends. His High School had no students that took a school bus and now DS is in University and not likely to get a SNOW DAY!

lynnek
01-12-2011, 07:19 PM
We wake them and send them outside--pj's and all! Those footy pj's are the best to wear under the snowpants for warmth. All our neighbors are retired and kids moved away. I was concerned after the first day we did this a few years ago--having to listen to screeching kids that early in the morning, going down the hill, can be a bit much for some--they say they look forward to it, even go so far as open the door a little to have that noise with their coffee!

finaldynasty
01-20-2011, 06:51 AM
Let them sleep...:mickey:

luvdiznee
01-20-2011, 07:06 AM
Yep, I let her sleep. Just worried now that they have had 2 days so far and that they may want to take it off of their Easter vacation. Thats when we will be on vacation....:mickey:

Mickey'sGirl
01-20-2011, 08:24 AM
As we live in Ottawa, Canada, my DS's schools have never closed for a "SNOW DAY". The school buses may be canceled, but then he never took the school bus either.I was going to say the same thing. We live just outside of Toronto, and I can not recall a time in my youth, nor during our sons' schooling that the schools have ever been closed. They may keep the kids in at recess if it's too cold, but the more snow the better in our neck of the woods!!