PDA

View Full Version : Daytona 500 - seat advice.

Bobby T
01-11-2011, 05:36 PM
I am making my first trip to the 500 next month. I make annual trips to Indy, Bristol, Joliet, and Michigan, but this is my first superspeedway race. I'm budgeting $1000 to spend on 4 tickets. I have a few ideas on where I should spend that, but would love to hear some veteran advice.

Thanks!

faline
01-11-2011, 05:48 PM
We went to the Daytona on two occasions. The track is immense! On our first trip, we were able to get tickets just past the end of pit row (one the end racers exit). The next time we were able to get seats closer to the start/finish line and a little bit higher up. The nice thing about the track is that you can view the various seating areas in 3-d before you decide on buying your tickets.

The first year, I tried to find accommodations closer to the track and, with none available, kept moving further and further away and only finding places I didn't want to stay. I gave up and booked us at Disney World.

Plan on a VERY long day! On our first trip, we took the most direct route along with thousands of other race fans; getting out after the race was a nighmare - I never thought we'd lose the traffic!

On our second trip, we selected a more cicuitous route which would have worked out well except we ran into George Bush's motorcade (he decided to attend that year)! That year, we also booked the after-race party figuring we'd let the traffic clear out before we headed out. Unfortunately, when we decided to leave the party, they had no buses available and we had to wait quite a long time before busses began to appear to take us back to the parking lot. Once we got to our car, the drive home was easier but it was still a very late arrival back at the resort (We stayed at Disney that time as well).

The museum is pretty interesting. We got to see it because that's where the after-party was held. Dale Jr. won the year we were there and appeared at the after-party as well.

Have fun!

princessgirls
01-12-2011, 03:49 PM
We went to the Daytona on two occasions. The track is immense! On our first trip, we were able to get tickets just past the end of pit row (one the end racers exit). The next time we were able to get seats closer to the start/finish line and a little bit higher up. The nice thing about the track is that you can view the various seating areas in 3-d before you decide on buying your tickets.

The first year, I tried to find accommodations closer to the track and, with none available, kept moving further and further away and only finding places I didn't want to stay. I gave up and booked us at Disney World.

Plan on a VERY long day! On our first trip, we took the most direct route along with thousands of other race fans; getting out after the race was a nighmare - I never thought we'd lose the traffic!

On our second trip, we selected a more cicuitous route which would have worked out well except we ran into George Bush's motorcade (he decided to attend that year)! That year, we also booked the after-race party figuring we'd let the traffic clear out before we headed out. Unfortunately, when we decided to leave the party, they had no buses available and we had to wait quite a long time before busses began to appear to take us back to the parking lot. Once we got to our car, the drive home was easier but it was still a very late arrival back at the resort (We stayed at Disney that time as well).

The museum is pretty interesting. We got to see it because that's where the after-party was held. Dale Jr. won the year we were there and appeared at the after-party as well.

Have fun!

We were there that year as well Linda!!! Have an awesome picture of Air Force One landing at Daytona Airport! That is a HUGE aircraft!
That was our last trip to Daytona. Dale Jr. won, I was done. I had been there for Dale Earnhardt winning, dying, and Jr. winning. My husband was a HUGE Earnhardt fan, and we were blessed with friends who had connections and we always had good seats.

I agree with Linda...The track is Enormous!! Sitting high in the Earnhardt tower is my favorite, but I've only done that once.
Higher up in the stands is better as far as seating. Your view is better.

We always booked a Hampton Inn in Orlando. It is a straight shoot into Daytona, and there are rooms to be had. Plan on leaving your hotel at 4:30am on race day. You can park in any of the store lots for a fee, on the main drag where the speedway is. We always did that, because it was easier to get out once the race ended.

I remember well, the Sunday that Dale Earnhardt passed away. The day started out spectacular, as we crossed the road walking into the Speedway, there was the most brilliant sunrise over the track. I never ever thought that the day would end in such tragedy. We had PIT VIP passes and saw Dale and Teresa on the track hugging earlier in the day. Earnhardt was my husband's favorite. I still have a picture that Fred took of him on that day displayed. I reflect often on that day, as you just don't know what life holds for you. LIFE IS SHORT!!!
Going to Daytona was always a fun experience. Have a GREAT time!!!! If you need any tips, feel free to PM me.
Julie:mickey:

SandmanGStefani24
01-23-2011, 10:28 PM
When I went to see the Duel races, I sat right at the entrance to pit road. Not only was I right in front of the big screens, I could see turns 3 and 4 as well as all pit stops and the finish line. Great spot, or as great as can be at Daytona since it's so big.

Have fun!

B.R. Guest
02-16-2011, 09:46 AM
I went to Speedweeks from '95-thru '09. We stayed at Orlando for five years and then Cocoa off of I-95 for 10 years. Hotels near Daytona will bleed you dry.
As far as seats go, we had a package in Weatherly which is down by turn 4. We parked in a lot a block east of the track which gave us easy access out after the race. You don't see the pit work but you have a big screen in front of you. We were about 10 rows from the top.
I did the Disney Half Marathon this year which eases the pain of not going to Speedweeks but I still miss the trip! Have fun.