PDA

View Full Version : Disney with a very overweight person?

beksy
01-11-2011, 01:27 PM
I am dating a great guy that is dieting but still very overweight. He is currently at about 400 lbs and is 6 feet tall. I haven't gone to Disney with anyone like this before (my family is heavy but not this heavy and we tend to be shorter) and really need some advice. First off, should I put off the trip because he won't be able to do the rides or will he still be able to ride most rides? We are looking at a trip in October so he will have lost more weight but I'm not sure how much. If we do go, does anyone have experience with this type of situation or suggestions on how to handle it? We are going to Universal too (I've never even been there) so if you have any ideas on that I'd appreciate it too! I'm already thinking king bed is the way to go but we do sleep in a queen size now so may look into deluxe....help!!!

peemagg
01-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Unless he has been there before and knows for a fact that he won't fit on the ride, I wouldn't count on his weight stopping him from riding.

I have seen many people of the large size being able to ride. He is more likely to have issues at Universal than at Disney.

I suggest you just play it by ear and if it is something that he wants to try, then let him. Some of the rides have trial cars off to the side or in a special place that he can try to see how he fits.

I personally just wouldn't waste my time worrying about it. Disney is great about accommodating most everyone somehow.

SBETigg
01-11-2011, 03:34 PM
I've seen people of all sizes on Disney rides. Some might be a tighter fit, but I don't think there's any he couldn't ride. At Universal, there are several he couldn't ride, from what I've heard, but plenty he probably can ride. I wouldn't put off the trip. If you start doing that, who knows if you'll ever go. I think Coronado Springs as queen beds, and the Swan or Dolphin might have a king bed room at a good price. I would check into those. Otherwise, I'm not sure which resorts offer kings, or if any guarantee them.

faline
01-11-2011, 05:02 PM
I think Coronado Springs as queen beds, and the Swan or Dolphin might have a king bed room at a good price. I would check into those. Otherwise, I'm not sure which resorts offer kings, or if any guarantee them.

I know that Port Orleans Riverside and Coronado Springs also has king bed rooms but there are few of them and they tend to book pretty quicly. Still, one doesn't need to stay deluxe to stay in a king bed room.

Friend of Figment
01-11-2011, 05:34 PM
If you check out the "Disney at Large" section in Info Central (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/misc/largeandincharge.asp)-- you will find lots of good info on this.

ElenitaB
01-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Port Orleans French Quarter also has rooms with a king-sized bed.

As for the rides, several might "fit" but be uncomfortable. It really all depends on how he carries his weight. But not all trips have to include all rides... they will still be there when you go back in the future (because you want this to be his first trip, right? :mickey: ).

Have fun and have fun planning!

magicofdisney
01-12-2011, 09:03 AM
I believe all levels have king size beds. I know for sure the values have them, if that info helps. I seem to recall that some resorts have an up-charge for king bed rooms (but don't quote me on that).

Dznygrl79
01-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Disney would be doable, I think some of the coasters would be a little questionable just for his comfort. Also I know I am 5'4 and around 230 and I was uncomfortable on mission space but that is the only place. Now from doing my own research Universal is not as friendly to those who are pooh bear shaped. I know they have updated a few rides but I cannot find any specifics.

PETE FROM NYC
01-13-2011, 12:00 AM
DW and I have the same problem, being Pooh sized. And she is bigger than me.
She could not fit into some seats like In Star Tours, Soarin is a very tight fit, Test Track almost crippled her.
Many of the rides with molded seating will be a problem.

BandMan
01-14-2011, 01:40 PM
I am a "Pooh-shaped" individual, and am very near the size of your hubby. I didn't have any problems at all. The only things I avoided were Astro Orbiter and the Speedway. I was advised by good friends that both would be a tight fit. Also, I don't care for Star Tours (makes me :sick: ) so I can't speak to that one.

Otherwise, I did every ride in the place and never felt embarrassed, squeezed, hassled or anything else.

I say go now and enjoy. :thumbsup:

mom2morgan
01-15-2011, 12:04 PM
I've ridden most rides at Disney quite comfortably. Universal was a somewhat different matter. I avoided the coasters because I couldn't bring myself to be embarassed by trying to ride and finding out I wouldn't fit - there are some "trial cars" but again, I would have found that awfully embarassing. I rode "ripsaw falls" which is a water flume with in-line seating and got kind of stuck - managed to get myself out but it wasn't graceful and I ended up with some bruising on my legs. Definitely took a lot of fun out of that one! In general, he should stick with seating that is bench style or overhead harness (I rode California Screamin' in Disneyland with no trouble because of the overhead restraint). Also - some are a tighter fit for two - ususally I ride two seaters like Splash and Space with one of my kids, instead of with my hubby because that is kinda squishy. (sad fact - my family thinks I don't "like" big coasters - which isn't true. I'm just afraid to try the seating!)

beksy
01-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Thanks for all of the replies...I am much less concerned now! :thumbsup: I am planning on doing rides that typically seat two seperately since I am not a small person either. :blush: Has anyone else had experience with Soarin' or Star Wars? He is not a coaster type person (motion sickness) but I know he would enjoy these if he could fit. I am more concerned about Universal at this point. Is there anywhere that lists like weight limits or anything like that? :geek:

BandMan
01-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Again, can't say about Star Wars ( :ack: ) but Soarin' is no problem - it's one of my favorites.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Both DH and I are rather Pooh-shaped, and have done Star Tours and Soarin' without issues.

In fact, my greatest problem at all of WDW is the turnstiles at the Haunted Mansion!

As for the beds, you can reserve a King Bed, we've done it at POR and POFQ (it is an extra charge), but if you don't mind two queens, there are options at both the moderate and deluxes.

Have a great trip!

ransam
02-07-2011, 01:38 AM
i am 5 foot 4 and 350lbs, and i don't think i have ever had a problem getting on or off a ride.