PDA

View Full Version : I wish.

TheMartellFamily
01-09-2011, 06:16 PM
We are not planning on going for a couple of years. We are paying off all dept so there is not a vacation for a while. I wish I could go for just a few days. It is so hard. Our boys are getting older and I do not want to miss any time there because it is our family thing. Maybe the time will go quickly I we can start planing.

SBETigg
01-09-2011, 07:16 PM
It's a tough call, but a good one, to pay down your debt over taking a vacation. But like you say, your kids are growing up and there's only a certain amount of time that we all have to make those special memories. I spent a lot of years just planning fantasy trips when I couldn't afford to go, and it helped. I say go ahead and start planning, just for fun and just in case. No harm in being prepared. :)

faline
01-09-2011, 07:20 PM
There are always hard choices to make. Can you set a goal and then reward yourself? Perhaps not with your ideal trip? Maybe a shorter one in a value resort?

BellesRose
01-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Hey, we're in the same boat! No more vacations or shopping for us until we pay off our debts! Maybe just knowing that you're not alone will help?

Dragongirlx
01-10-2011, 03:49 AM
I know how you feel. We are not planning on going for a while because we need to move house and all our money will be tied up with that. I am coping by thinking of all the new things that we will get to see when we eventually do make it back

dnickels
01-10-2011, 09:12 AM
Hang in there and you're doing the right thing to pay off your debts first! :thumbsup:

Despite what the Disney commercials may suggest, it's possible to make special memories with the kids at places other than The World. Biking together, walking together, anything together is what counts, not where it's spent. :grouphug:

Frog
01-10-2011, 11:02 AM
we have also decided to put the trips on "hold" until we get everything paid off... I love the idea of making memories closer to home. It does help to know others are doing the same...
We have even said to each other (as others mentioned) how fun it will be to wait a few years to see all the updates! So, Good luck with your efforts!

magicman
01-10-2011, 11:35 AM
We took three years to improve our financial situation prior to a trip (which we'll be enjoying in 16 days).

Be encouraged that you are doing the right thing, and that it will be so much sweeter after a sabbatical.

Ian
01-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Everyone can flame me, but the debt will always be there. The kids will only be young once.

I'm not suggesting you ignore the debt, go hog wild, and stay 12 nights at the Grand Floridian.

But you could plan a very fiscally responsible trip that would interfere minimally with the debt reduction plan and take advantage of the little time you have left when your kids are young.

I have a motto that says, "Enjoy life now, figure out how to pay for it later." Not to an irresponsible degree, but really ... you do only live once and this time we get to spend with our children when they're young is precious.

PrettyMinnie
01-10-2011, 05:33 PM
It's definitely a tough call, but I think you are making the right choice. Like a previous poster said, it's just about spending the time together. Although no place in the world carries that same magic feel as Disney, there are other, much cheaper, getaways you and your family can just to spend time with each other. When it comes down to it, family is family and Disney doesn't make or break the time you spend together. :)

kemps@wdw
01-10-2011, 11:58 PM
If it's any concellation, our family's been going together since 1980. This past Oct. we all went again for my in-laws 50th anniversary. We were...2 kids under 10, one 17 yr old, 2 in their 30's, 2 in their 40's and 2 in their 60's. Families and Disney always go together, no matter what age! :mickey:

Laughin' place
01-11-2011, 02:25 PM
I wish you could go, and that we could share a drink while you were there!
We are in the same boat. I had planned to take my wife in Nov for a quick trip, and just couldnt justify it financially. We are sending 2 boys to college in the fall, Christmas bills, etc etc. I think about a get-away every day and cant tell you how much I would appreciate it.
Ill wish for you, and hope you and yours are there soon:thumbsup: