PDA

View Full Version : Calorie count information to maintain diabetic management

sara114
01-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Is there a site or iphone application that will give you the calorie count and nutritional information on the menus of WDW dining? I know that you are on vacation, but there are some people that need this information to maintain diabetic management.

Dulcee
01-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Hmm I've never seen any app like that. The Disney chefs can be very accommodating, have you tried noting your restrictions on your dinner reservation? Generally a chef or manager will come out and discuss what options they have available to you or design a meal that suits your needs.

crltkcagle
01-09-2011, 10:41 AM
I copied this from disney's website:

Can nutritional information be provided for menu items?
Unfortunately we do not have, and therefore we cannot provide you with accurate or reliable nutritional information, and we would not want you or any other Guest to rely on what could only be our "best guess." We can however, attempt to work within your dietary request and suggest some menu alternatives and solutions that may satisfy your requests. We strive to provide all our Guests a magical experience by offering a wide array of dining locations, experiences and menu options, and we trust that among all those selections you will find menu items that meet your requests.

EpcotFan182
01-10-2011, 12:51 AM
I went to WDW in August on a restricted diet, and I found that the cast members were very accommodating with what I could and could not eat. Everywhere I went I asked questions about the different sauces and marinades the food was prepared in and if I could get substitutions. I feel that you shouldn't have a big problem with altering menu items if you need to, especially if you mention that it's because of diabetes.

Strmchsr
01-22-2011, 12:02 PM
My DS10 is a type-1 diabetic so we deal with this every time we go to WDW. You don't need calorie counts, but you do need a good idea of carbs for a diabetic. As mentioned already, they can't tell you specific nutritional info for your meals. So, I have a handy guide that gives nutritional info for restaurants all over. We can look through there, find something pretty close to what we're eating at WDW and get a pretty good ballpark figure on the carbs. Using this method we've missed maybe once and he ended up way high in the 6 trips we've taken with him as a diabetic. So, out of the approximately 140 meals we've eaten at WDW with a diabetic son, I'll take 1 miscount. The good news is that most of the snacks have nutritional info on them and the CMs at the restaurants can sometimes bring out labels from the ingredients for things like dessert. It never hurts to ask on that if you're not sure on the carb count.