PDA

View Full Version : Which Villa is best for a trip without a lot of park visits?

ginger19
01-08-2011, 08:39 PM
I'm planning a November trip for DH and I with the kids who will be 6 and 8. It looks like we will do a 1 or 2BR villa but I can't decide which one.

We typically fly in friday night and do MVMCP, then I take the kids to the parks sat and sun while DH golfs. That is it for the parks as the rest of the time would be golfing iwth the kids (yes, they golf!).

Given that I'd like to do the meal plan, which resort has the best combination of pool area/counter service/activities to keep us engaged if we assume we would golf 9 holes in the morning and then relax the rest of the day?

AndrewJackson
01-08-2011, 09:21 PM
How about the villas at AKL? I have never stayed there, but I have walk the grounds to see the pool, and have eaten there a couple of times. They have a very nice counter service food court, and the pool is quite nice.

It is also one of the more reasonable priced villas.

badkitty
01-09-2011, 01:00 AM
I think the Boardwalk villas would be very cool to stay at too. There are lots of food choices with the Boardwalk, Beach Club, Swan and Dolphin within walking distance. Also, there is a great themed pool area and you are within walking distance of mini-golf. Plus you could walk over and watch Illuminations from the bridge between the Boardwalk and Beach Club. Good luck with your trip planning! :mickey:

ginger19
01-11-2011, 08:27 AM
thanks! I'm still undecided I think. I like the sound of BWV with the food options but love the theming of AKL. The food may sway me.

tdk316
01-11-2011, 08:42 AM
BWV or YCV would be my suggestion. The pool at YC can't be beat for the kids and it's only a short walk over to BW for some food and games. Plus YC has Beaches & Cream, the kids are sure to love that!

nkereina
01-15-2011, 03:51 PM
I've never stayed in a Villa so I can't answer about the food, but SSR or OKW might be good due to their close proximity to DTD. My boyfriend and I spent a night at POR without going to the parks and loved the boat access to DTD.

mickeefan
01-15-2011, 06:41 PM
We have stayed at both the BWV and BCV and prefer the BCV slightly over BWV. The BC/YC has several great places to eat plus it is very easy to walk over to the Boardwalk. BCV (205 units) is smaller than BWV (383 units).

mook3y
01-15-2011, 07:10 PM
We stayed in a 2 bedroom BWV and loved the room, liked the resort - the pool/slide is very nice and enjoyed all of the entertainment (performers) along the boardwalk.

Our only complaint was there was no food court.

princessjojo
01-15-2011, 08:44 PM
All of the villas mentioned are great, but if you're planning 2 or 3 days of golf, consider SSR. They are actually right on the golf course and you can reserve a tee time at the pro shop just down stairs from the Turf Club Bar & Grill.

ginger19
01-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks, everyone :mickey:

I think my only concern with SSR is the limit of places for lunch although we could get over to DTD. That's one to consider. I like the BC/YC idea but haven't been over there yet so I'm not sure how easy it is to walk around.

Jpxv
01-17-2011, 01:11 AM
OKW is my personal favorite. The layout of the 1 and 2 bedroom villas seems much more spacious than that of boardwalk or Sarasota Springs. With three smaller pools as well as the main pool they never really seem to be busy. There are so many activities at the main house as well all day long and just a short boat ride over to DTD. My wife and I choose this every time.

Janmac
01-17-2011, 02:16 PM
We loved our 2 bedroom villa at OKW - very roomy and pleasant. However, the food choices were underwhelming. We were much happier with our food choices (and transportation choices) at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge, but that location doesn't help you with the golfing at all.

Jan

LudwigVonDrake
01-17-2011, 04:53 PM
My suggestion would be Beach Club :mickey:

lawgirl
01-29-2011, 05:45 PM
We stayed at AKL Kidani Village in a 1-bedroom villa and absolutely loved it! Next time we will definitely go for the 2 bedroom, but the 1 bedroom villa was huge and super nice. AKL is our favorite resort, and we always recommend it. There is a nice lobby at Kidani, and a great pool area and workout center. And the walk to Jambo house only takes about 7-10 minutes, and is very pleasant. There is so much to do at the AKL, that alot of times we just like to hang out at the hotel. The theming is immaculate, and the decor is luxurious and exotic. We can't wait to go back!

KAT1811
01-29-2011, 08:03 PM
OKW is my personal favorite. The layout of the 1 and 2 bedroom villas seems much more spacious than that of boardwalk or Sarasota Springs. With three smaller pools as well as the main pool they never really seem to be busy. There are so many activities at the main house as well all day long and just a short boat ride over to DTD. My wife and I choose this every time.

We too love OKW. We had a beautiful; 2BR villa overlooking one of the hole on the golf course along with a lake. The kids got a kick looking for Poppy on the course from the balcony. OKW have the largest villa units on property and just went through a major rehab. They also have, hands down, the best bus service I have yet to experience in my 30+ trips to WDW. We really enjoyed Olivia's for dinner. The boat ride to DTD is fabulous and the restaurant choices there are equally fabulous.

buzznwoodysmom
01-29-2011, 08:37 PM
I would think Bay Lake Tower would be your best bet since you can easily get food at 3 different resorts on the monorail, not to mention a direct boat ride to WL or Ft. Wilderness Campground.

mdhiggin
01-30-2011, 04:50 PM
OKW- very limited food, close to DTD and golf, cheap point-wise
AKV - decent food choices, not close to much else, cheap point-wise
BWV- tons of food choices, mini golf, walk to Epcot, cheap point-wise
BCV - tons of food choices, mini golf, walk to Epcot, high points
BLT - many food choices if you count other monorail resorts and walk to MK, high points
VWL - decent food choices - boat ride to MK,
high points
SSR-limited food, close to DTD and golf, moderate points

We've been to all but VWL on this list. This is how I rate them. BLT is my personal favorite, then AKL, then BCV. For your trip, I would recommend BCV. It's the same general area as BWV but a bit pricier. (I'm basing my points on standard rooms.) It has a much nicer pool area for your downtime, the layout is better than BWV also. The hallways go on forever at BWV. For pool and restaurants, BCV can't be beat. There are so many different places to choose from to eat at over there within walking distance to you, like BWV, BCV, Swan, Dolphin, Epcot. Your only drawback is it's not close to golf, just mini-golf. If that doesn't matter, and you want restaurants and recreation and don't care about the price, I vote BCV. Second choice would be AKV, decent food choices when you count Kidani and the main lodge, two nice themed pools, lots of animal watching for your downtime, great community hall too.

ginger19
01-31-2011, 07:12 AM
Thanks everyone!

I think at this point I'm hoping for BCV based on dining and pool. I'm not too worried about being close to golf as the cabs to the courses are free. I don't want it to be a huge hassel to find a decent place to eat so I'm hoping it works out for us and we get off of the waiting list soon.

mdhiggin
01-31-2011, 01:37 PM
I noticed in your original post you asked for counter service. While they do have some in that area, a lot of the restaurants are Table Service. I didn't know if you were considering the Quick Service dining plan or the regular one with table services.