PDA

View Full Version : what do you carry in the park with you?

nkereina
01-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Just wondering what people do with any bags or purses they bring into the parks when they go on rides? I'm thinking about bringing a small backpack to keep our wallets, phones and camera in but I'd be nervous to leave it unattended. Don't want a locker because we'd like to have our camera on us. What do you do?

cer
01-05-2011, 01:30 PM
I have always carried a backpack and you will find that you have no problem carrying it with you on all the rides. I cannot speak to Tower of Terror (I have not ridden that one) but on all other coasters including Rockin' Roller Coaster, I have simply put my leg thru the arm strap and have had no problems.

Have a great trip!

KylesMom
01-05-2011, 01:43 PM
DH carries a slingbag with our rain gear & such to each park, and I don't go anywhere without my camera bag while at Disney. As the previous member mentioned, you'll find that you can take your bag on with you to each ride without a problem. We always ensure that zip-lok bags are included in our bags for water rides such as Splash Mountain and Kali River Rapids to protect our cameras, wallets and phones.

I'm not sure that Disney would let you leave an unattended bag in the unloading area . . . it seems to me that I've seen them ask people to pick up their bag & take it with them in the Splash Mountain loading area.

MarkC
01-05-2011, 01:52 PM
I usually just carry my wits about me but my midday those are usually gone as well.

Seriously, just my ticket, wallet/money clip, cell phone. If the weather demands it I'll carry a small pouch with some ponchos but that's about it. Sometimes I'll take my camera but not always. If you're staying on property its amazing how easy it is to go back and get something unless you are traveling with young children-- then all bets are off.

kakn7294
01-05-2011, 03:26 PM
I carry a tiny little Purse Plus bag from company called Charm 14. In it I carry my camera, the necessary cards & tickets, some money, a chapstick, a tiny compact, nail clippers and a file (always chipping my nails), a couple of bandaids, a comb, and a small bottle with some ibuprofen and such. My cell phone goes in my pocket and if I take it along, my iPod goes in another pocket.

BigThunderFan
01-05-2011, 06:32 PM
I carry a backpack with a towel, ponchos, camera gear (batteries, memory, etc...), ziplock bags for the cameras/leftovers from meals, jackets for the kids (it gets cold at night in January!), band-aids, autograph books, snacks, and any other miscellaneous stuff you could possibly think of!

This year we are each taking one so we can split it out between two bags...:blush:

KeriWDE
01-05-2011, 06:59 PM
A backpack with raincoats for days when rain is likely. Also in it can be a change of clothes for the young 'uns. It can be stashed in a locker if rain will be early/late and even left in a stroller when on a ride. It also makes for a great pillow for the stroller-rider.

A backpack that goes everywhere we go holds (not a complete list):
-migraine meds!
-asthma meds
-advil
-chapstick (SERIOUSLY overpriced in the parks!)
-quick-dry chamois for wet ride seats/outdoor seating/stroller seats
-sm hairbrush for me and DD
-waterproof bag for camera, phones, etc in case of rain or wet ride
-sunblock
-sunglasses
-socks in case of wet shoes kept in a ziplock bag (don't want blisters!)
-wallet with 1 small amount of cash
-room tickets with charging priveleges (don't bring the credit card to the parks)
-extra battery(ies) for camera(s)
-extra memory media for camera(s)
-an extra ziplock bag (there always seems to be a need for a ziplock bag)

If you compartmentalize these things into clear travel bags or ziplock bags, you'll be able to find what you need quickly without dragging everything out - and security can look through easily.

Have fun!

PrettyMinnie
01-05-2011, 07:04 PM
On previous trips everyone has carried their own drawstring bag, that has worked well because you can stuff the bag under your legs on rides. There was never a ride that we couldn't tale our bags on, including RnRC, ToT and EE. On my last trip however the string on my bag got caught on BTMR and it had to be ripped off :( I switched to my Vera Bradley backpack that was a little bigger, but also more durable than a simple drawstring bag. It all worked out. :mickey:

I usually carry my cell phone, wallet, camera, sunscreen and maybe an autograph book.

disneyboundagain
01-05-2011, 09:56 PM
DW bought a mid-sized canvas backpack from AK a few years ago that she takes on every trip. She has just about everything in there, including a kitchen sink...

Me, I just take my cell and a big wad of money :D:D

joonyer
01-06-2011, 12:25 PM
For our family of 4, (2 kids), I carry a shoulder strap bag with sunglasses, sunscreen lotion, a few indiv. wrapped wet wipes, camera & extra batteries, a small bottle of acetaminophen, water bottles, park maps, cell phone, granola snack bars (these come in handy when the kids want a snack while in a really long queue) and cheapo disposable ponchos.

KeriWDE
01-06-2011, 03:00 PM
- A ziplock bag with baby wipes in them
- anti-bac hand-wash
- anti-diarrheal meds
- something small to entertain the kiddos

kakn7294
01-06-2011, 04:01 PM
I read some of these and I'm sooooo glad my kids are big enough to carry their own stuff. Our rule - you want it, you carry it.

BugeyedMuggy
01-06-2011, 04:30 PM
We bring whatever fits in our pockets so we don't have to go thru bag check. With DH wearing cargo shorts you can put alot in those pockets :)

mom2morgan
01-06-2011, 05:33 PM
ALL I carry is a small waist pack (fanny pack, whatever you call it.) I really can't stand carrying a bunch of stuff around! My two girls carry small backpacks because they like to have more "comforts" with them. And my hubby carries nothing at all, because, of course, I've got the bare necessities in my pack ;-) For me - all I have is room card and tickets, a bit of cash, a few bandaids, and a cloth to wipe my glasses if I get soaked on a water ride.

kemps@wdw
01-10-2011, 11:48 PM
As little as possible to get thru security checks as fast as possible. We stay on property, so packing "for the day" is not necessary. My preferred bag of choice is...wait for it... a fanny pack! :scared: Yes, the dreaded fanny pack! Small, lightweight, and easy access. Key cards, ID, camera/camcorder (mine's a small handheld that does both), chapstick, a little cash, and my cell phone. DH doesn't carry anything in. He only pockets his wallet and cell phone. It seems that the more we go, the less I find we need to carry. The same goes for luggage.

finaldynasty
01-11-2011, 01:31 AM
I carry a Jansport book bag which has a water proof plastic bottom. It is great for wet rides or rainy days. My dw does not carry any thing. We have most of what PP have mentioned. Our last trip we had half the stuff we usually have because my youngest DD did not need pull-ups or diapers or juice cups. Thank God!!

On our next trip I think I will try on of he sling bags. I don't like putting things in my cargo short pockets so I might always have a bag.

DonLefNY
01-11-2011, 08:38 AM
No bags. I just carry my wallet, ticket, small camera & cell phone all in my cargo pockets.

Dragongirlx
01-11-2011, 11:29 AM
My sister and I take it in turns to carry a smallsih backback that holds money, water, sunscreen and our camera. We have been able to take it on every ride in WDW with no problems

forever a child
01-11-2011, 12:37 PM
We bought a canvas bag from Old Navy in a pretty coral color. We used this bag to get signatures on of all the Character's we met on our May trip. We carried our bottled water and cola, umbrella and rain poncho's (which we used), a pair of tennis shoes for DD - cause she switch back and fourth to flip flops, my motion sickness med's and tylenol, our digital camera, antibacterial wet wipes, sun block, a small coin purse which was connected to the bag handle that had room keys/photopass card/credit card/tickets/fastpasses and cash in. We also took extra plastic ziplock baggies that were the large size to keep things dry or to keep things that got wet away from our dry items. It was a bit to cart around..but it meet our needs and we will use this system again for future trips.

Genie1953
02-01-2011, 02:19 AM
I bought a mini Terrace Bag from Ebags...it is 5.5" x 7" x 1.5" and made of nylon so is very light weight. I wore it across my body. It was big enough to hold the essentials:

Small brush
Camera with extra batteries
Sunglass Clips
Iphone
Travel size tylenol and advil
lip balm
room key/credit card/money/ID
99 cent poncho (bought at walmart)
Hand Sanitizer
Park Map

I loved this bag. I also went to the local hardware store (Westlakes) to the key department and bought a small hinged ring and attached it to the strap....I kept my sun visor secured to my bag when not in use with the hinged ring. Another great thing about this bag is that when I went on a couple of rides where I worried that I might lose it I just slid the strap down over my shoulder so it was around my waist and tightened up the strap and it became a sort of a belt pack and stayed safe and secure during those wild rides. Last year I bought a tan one and a blue one...but just now noticed they are on sale so may have to order up three more in the rust, black, and red colors. I use these bags all the time even away from Disney.

Dream'nDisney
02-01-2011, 12:58 PM
MY DH has me carry it all too! LOL He is ever so grateful though when he can hand me his expensive sunglasses and cell phone to put in my backpack before the bar drops on a ride. :thumbsup: A ziploc bag is a must for us as well. We put our cell phones in one large ziploc prior to water rides.

I usually bring a large backpack (like the kids use in high school) as my carryon for the plane ride. Some days we use that in the park when we feel like we need to take more essentials to the parks, i.e. water bottles, spray fans, etc. Other times, I use a smaller backpack (usually when we go back to the parks in the evening).

princessjojo
02-01-2011, 06:12 PM
We usually carry 1, maybe 2 drawstring bags just to keep our ponchos if we think it should rain. The kids or I usually carry those. But I just prefer to carry a wristlet. It's big enough to put my phone and camera in as well as our tickets, chapstick and a couple of somethings for a headache. If I have on the right sunglasses, I can even get them in there if I'm careful.

Sylvia
02-01-2011, 06:19 PM
For days when I leave my room very early and plan to stay out most of the day, or when I go to Sea World:
I carry the "valuables" (AP, TIW, ID, room key, credit card, cash, room safe key, cell phone, camera, extra memory card, ADR info) in a small shoulder bag. My hat is clipped to the strap when I'm not wearing it. I carry other items (refillable water bottle, ziploc bag for my resort mug after I've finished my tea,hand sanitizer, sunblock, kleenex, bandaids, allergy medicine, aspirin, poncho, park maps/information, extra ziplock bags to protect items in case of rain, park maps/schedules/info) in a drawstring camouflage bag.

--------------------------

For half-days or evenings at one of the theme parks, or shopping/browsing at DD, I carry as little as possible. In addition to the essentials, if a non-essential item doesn't fit in my shoulder bag or in my pockets, it stays in my room.

Marionla
02-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Crossbody bag. Rarely have to remove it on rides.

flipadeeflop
02-02-2011, 09:18 AM
I don't know if you watch the show "Burn Notice," but I always liked the fanny packs that Fiona wears, so I bought one like that. It's a small one from Roxy [link removed per terms of service] The only downside is that it isn't big enough for multiple cameras and a water bottle. We fit all of our ID and credit card things, along with other items only a bit bigger than that. My boyfriend has a small video camera like the Flip phone (which is about the size of a digital camera) that fits in there also. It's enough for us and we each have one.

I am worried that during this trip the fanny packs wont be enough. We are both vegan and if that is difficult enough I just found out I am a celiac. So we will most likely need to bring in snacks and such, which might not work in those packs, but maybe they will!