PDA

View Full Version : What do you bring in your carry on?

clausjo
01-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Our trip in Feb will be the first time that we’ve needed to fly to Disney and I’m starting to freak out a bit. It will be just me and my two kids, 11 and 8, and we’ll be using ME. We’ll be arriving early afternoon and plan on getting to the parks as soon as we check in. What do you recommend taking in our carry-ons to be sure we have what we need? I know I’ll need the tickets, credit card and what I would consider usual wallet stuff, but what else? I plan on having each of the kids carry their own back pack for the plane ride to distribute the load as well as have their “plane entertainment” stuff.

faline
01-04-2011, 05:31 PM
I always take one to two chnages of clothes just in case I get stuck somewhere or my other luggage is delayed or lot. Other items in my carryon:

1. Medications
2. Enough self care items to get through a day or two (generally things that fit in the quart sized bags allowed by TSA)
3. Cameras and any other electronic equipment you're bringing
4. Jewelry
5. Park tickets, itineraries, resort confirmations, dining confirmations

Disney Hungarian
01-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Having been a frequent flier, I can not even remember all of the times that I have had my luggage lost by the airlines. Having learned my lesson; I always pack one pair of pants, a shirt and all of the underwear and socks in my carry-on.:)

Although flying to WDW is a little different than flying internationally. I would still have to pack it the same way.

kakn7294
01-04-2011, 05:36 PM
I always take one to two chnages of clothes just in case I get stuck somewhere or my other luggage is delayed or lot. Other items in my carryon:

1. Medications
2. Enough self care items to get through a day or two (generally things that fit in the quart sized bags allowed by TSA)
3. Cameras and any other electronic equipment you're bringing
4. Jewelry
5. Park tickets, itineraries, resort confirmations, dining confirmations:ditto: plus a full change of clothes for each member of the family. But I'm lucky enough to have 2 adults and 2 kids to distribute the load.

faline
01-04-2011, 05:45 PM
:ditto: plus a full change of clothes for each member of the family. But I'm lucky enough to have 2 adults and 2 kids to distribute the load.

I guess I thought that was implied in my answer but thanks for clarifying!

mom2morgan
01-04-2011, 07:49 PM
You might also want to pack swim wear, if you have space. That way if you check in and your luggage hasn't been delivered to your room yet (it usually takes a couple or three hours) you can hit the pools!

mickeys_princess_mom
01-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Comfortable shoes!:mickey:

PrettyMinnie
01-04-2011, 11:27 PM
I agree with shoes and swim wear. If you get to the resort and want to swim but your luggage isn't there, it's a bummer to have to wait. I also bring a change of clothes and personal items for a day or two. Just to be safe. :thumbsup:

peemagg
01-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Don't forget to pack your rainwear in your carryon also. You don't want to be caught in one of Florida's rain showers without them.

Also your extra clothes, pack them in plastic bags to protect them from rain and water. Nothing worse than having wet clothes and finding that your extra clothes are also wet.

CleveRocks
01-05-2011, 07:17 AM
Very simply, I pack for my first 24 hours.

EVERYTHING I will need for the first 24 hours of my trip, it all goes in my carry-on. In addition, ALL medication.

I do this just in case the airline misdirects my luggage.

magicofdisney
01-05-2011, 08:51 AM
My husband is a frequent flyer. He HATES checking luggage so he's got his carry-on down to a science. He's allowed 2 carry-on pieces so he puts all medication, reading material and electronics in his backpack. In the other piece he packs all the clothes he needs for his 4day work week. The genius of this (in my mind) is he packs it in a way that he doesn't need to re-iron (that which I ironed for him before he leaves ;))

princessjojo
01-05-2011, 09:01 AM
We pack just like we would for an overnight trip. I try to wear what I can, such as comfy shoes. And everyone gets one electronic item, camera, laptop, ect. I keep our tickets in my wallet. But I also try to pack a wristlet or small backpack packed in our carry on to put our park things once we arrive.

DizneyRox
01-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Very simply, I pack for my first 24 hours.

EVERYTHING I will need for the first 24 hours of my trip, it all goes in my carry-on. In addition, ALL medication.

I do this just in case the airline misdirects my luggage.
Yep, a full day goes with me in my carry on, and then anything valuable that will fit. I need to be able to "live" for the first 24 hours without my luggage. This inludes dressing for the destination, not the departure location.

teambricker04
01-07-2011, 01:20 PM
I am probably the only one that doesn't pack any additional clothes! Well, except for my kids... they get extra clothes.

The deal in our family is that you have to carry your own fun stuff. My two DSs take hand held video games, books, and one stuffed animal. Nothing that can roll around the plane... I learned that the hard way when an entire plane of people exited and handed us our crayons that had rolled from the front to the rear of the cabin :blush:

Otherwise what everyone else has said. Also, we add in some snacks because the airport prices can be terrible for some things.

kemps@wdw
01-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Check the TSA website, and it'll tell you exactly what you can and cannot take in your carry-on luggage.

WDW&MK
01-11-2011, 07:51 PM
In addition to what was mentioned above, I always pack a couple of granola bars, some beef jerky and some non-melty candy (like skittles - something sugary ). I want to have a little something in case we have to be stuck on the plane so I don't get light-headed and feel icky from not eating.

If you decide to take food, be sure it is not liquidy or you won't be able to go through security with it unless its under the 3 oz (no applesauce, no yogurt etc).