PDA

View Full Version : cruise newbie questions

ToraTory
01-03-2011, 09:31 AM
My hubby has been bugging me for years to take a cruise but my answer has always been, I'm too afraid. Well, I'm tired of being afraid and am willing to give it a try but there were two conditions: 1) it must be a Disney cruise and 2) only three days just incase I get sick. So with that in mind, I'm starting my research.

We'd like to go in November as that is near the end of hurricane season (yes, I'm paranoid) and I'm hoping it won't be as hot as July.

Do you know if they post any deep discounts like they do for rooms at WDW? I just checked and all I'm seeing is $25 onboard credit, I was wondering if they ever offer $200+ off.

How far out should I book? For WDW I usually book about 4-6 months ahead depending on the time of year.

Now here is a really stupid question: on the carribbean cruise to Cast away cay and Nassau, can you see land for a good bit of the travel?

Any other tips for a scared newbie? thanks guys -- tory

Ed
01-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Disney seldom offers deep discounts, simply because they don't have to. Most DCL cruises are sold out or nearly so. You'll find the best prices far in advance of your desired dates; the closer it gets to sailing time, the higher the prices. You might want to consider getting in touch with our cruise experts at our sponsor travel agency, Magical Journeys. (http://yourmagicaljourneys.com/destinations/disney-cruise-line/) November is a good choice; most kids are in school, the water is still warm, and crowds are manageable.

As far as seeing land goes, think of it this way...

The first night out, it's dark, so you couldn't see land anyway. :D You can, however, see the lights on shore.

The next morning when you wake up you'll be either nearing Nassau or already there.

That evening you'll be headed toward Castaway Cay, so some of the Bahamas chain of islands will be visible.

Next morning, you're approaching CC.

After a full day on CC, you'll be too tired to even bother looking for land. :D

And the ship will be back at Port Canaveral before you wake up the next morning.

All of which is a roundabout way of saying.... No. Land is not visible 24x7.

;)

Tink1
01-03-2011, 10:04 AM
I love to cruise in November! It gets me out of the cold Northeast, yet it is not awfully hot and humid. We seem to always have perfect weather temp wise in November.

Disney sells their cabins by tiers. This means the price increases as the cabins sell out. Occasionally they will run a Kids free special, or some other special but rarely on the 3 night sailings. For the first time in a LONG time they are doing a $200 OBC for some 3 and 4 night sailings this Spring.

Magical Journeys offers an additional OBC based on cruise price and watches the prices in case they go down, or a promo is released. We then just modify your booking and let you know!

Nanc

DizneyRox
01-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Yeah, the only deep discounting I've seen for DCL cruises are offered on the cast portal. They often are posted maybe a month or less before the cruise date.

We did a November cruise once, and it was pretty good (although rough seas I think around Barbados), you're not really going that far out so I wouldn't worry too much. The Atlantic is usually a better first cruise, I've heard some horror stories about the Pacific ocean, although that wasn't my experience.

My problem has never really been being at sea, it's when you hit land after a cruise that you still try to compensate for the ship movement. Never to the point of getting sick though...