PDA

View Full Version : biergarten questions

jonahbear2006
01-02-2011, 06:41 PM
does the biergarten have beer on tap that is included with the meal price? whats the difference between lunch and dinner? We wanna try this but we are kinda scared of the food but gonna **** it up and try it but just wondering any details you veteran german buffet lovers have to offer me. Any info is appreciated.

DizneyRox
01-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Beer is extra, optional as well, however they have some great quarts (or liters) of beer on tap!

The difference between lunch and dinner besides the price is the selection really. There is more selection at dinner... We've done both and the lunch is great, worth saving a little cash (*hint* use that savings on beer!)

While I think many people might thing the food is strange, it's some of the best in WS IMHO. I don't think it's all that odd at all. They have chicken, pork, beef just like everybody else. They don't seem to like yak livers or cow brains much...

It's usually one of the first restaurants we frequent at Epcot, and we often go back several times. Go, enjoy, and come back and tell everyone how much you liked it.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-02-2011, 07:50 PM
We're also fans of Biergarten! DH enjoys the more unique beer selection he can get, and even for DD and me (we're picky eaters), there is lots to eat.

German food isn't too strange, lots of meat, potatoes and the best apple strusuel dessert I've ever had.

Disney Hungarian
01-02-2011, 07:50 PM
The beer is on tap, but not included. One thing to remember about Germany and Austria. Two of their main cities are Frankfurt and Wein. Frankfurt is where we get the named Frankfurter from (hot-dog.) Wein is in Austria and is pronounced in English; Veen. Or as we American's call Vienna. Also the home of the Vienna sausage. Please keep these cities and there respective food namesakes in mind while trying the buffet. Yes, to most American's this is the taste of cheap lunch meats. But to German's and Austrian's this is their heritage. I personally have an affection for the German and Austrian people and their cuisine. My suggestion is to try the buffet and enjoy the ambiance that this restaurant has to offer. I wish I could say more about these wonderful countries and their people. I feel if I were to get started that I would never be able to stop.

Altair
01-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Keep in mind you will be seated together with strangers, so if you are shy or unsociable it may not be for you.

The cold meat section isn't my favorite.

All the meat fills you up fast, save room for the desserts.:mickey::thumbsup:

mom2morgan
01-02-2011, 09:18 PM
While I think many people might thing the food is strange, it's some of the best in WS IMHO. I don't think it's all that odd at all. They have chicken, pork, beef just like everybody else. They don't seem to like yak livers or cow brains much...

LOL - that reminds me of our concerns that Boma would have really "exotic" meats. I'm not sure if we were relieved or disappointed! FUNNY story, though - the day we went to Boma we were also doing the "big" coasters at Universal. The night before, on the bus, my older daughter and I were talking about how "excited we are for tomorrow...because we're trying Boma!". My youngest only heard part of this at thought we were talking about the coasters, so she pipes up "Yeah, cool, eh? I bet there'll be lots of screaming and puking!!!" You should have seen some of the looks from other passengers!!

jonahbear2006
01-02-2011, 09:20 PM
I have no problem trying new foods, however, my mother in law is a little picky when it comes to oddities. She tends to favor your classic hamburger and fries but in disney we really insist upon doing disney type dining at least part of the time. We keep meaning to eat here but it keeps getting put on the back burner for other places and We are finally fitting it in. It was either this or teppan edo and i think she will prefer german over japanese, although we really love teppan edo. I think it looks like a lot of fun. I was hoping the beer was included bc it wouldve been an added benefit to them but thats ok, we can add it in as extra. Im seeing a lot of different prices listed. which ones are right for lunch and dinner.

jonahbear2006
01-02-2011, 09:24 PM
We prob wont be seated with many strangers. there are 9 of us. from what i was reading, most tables seat 8 here but i am very sociable. I love talking to strangers. :mickey:

WDW&MK
01-03-2011, 06:45 AM
Biergarten is a must do for us!! DH loves German food. I knew there was a specific dish served at dinner and not at lunch - checked the menu section and it is sauerbraten. If you are a German food fan, this is a must - so we always go at dinner.

Hint - for dessert there is a white creme sauce near all the desserts. Make sure to put a little over your German cheesecake - or at least on your plate so you can try it. Delish!!

mom2morgan
01-03-2011, 12:44 PM
I really want to try this one, but am SO not comfortable about sitting with strangers. Does it force you to interact, or is there enough "going on" that it isn't a big issue? I'm shy and my husband is worse!

DizneyRox
01-03-2011, 02:28 PM
I've seen it go both ways. More often than not, it's fine, but a couple of times we have been sitting with others that just didn't have anything to say and seemed put off at the concept and we're going to enjoy it at all.

I've thought about asking at check -in if we could have an out of the way table to enjoy a peaceful anniversary dinner without interruptions, etc. But I never have.. It might work...

MNNHFLTX
01-03-2011, 02:29 PM
I really want to try this one, but am SO not comfortable about sitting with strangers. Does it force you to interact, or is there enough "going on" that it isn't a big issue? I'm shy and my husband is worse!This probably isn't much of a problem, unless you have an odd number of people. For example, one time when we went there we had a party of five. We were seated with a party of three and I ended up being the one seated across from a stranger. This was awkward for me. As much as I like meeting new people, it was difficult to participate in my own party's conversation without feeling like I was ignoring the person directly in front of me. I'm sure they probably felt the same. If you have an even number of people (like four or six) then you know that you will be seated across from someone that you know.

As for the food, I am of German background and I think that most of it is quite authentic (or at least the way my mom used to prepare it!) The warm German potato salad, cucumber-dill salad, saurbraten, wurst and spaetzle are quite good. I've always found the schnitzel to be too dried out, however, and the salmon is kind of hit or miss. At least try a little of unfamiliar dishes--you may be surprised at how much you like them!

Stickey
01-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Bier is separate, but excellent.:beer:

I recommend dinner, as sauerbraten is typically only on the dinner menu. Pretzel bread, potato dumplings, and the desserts are all very good.

mom2morgan
01-03-2011, 07:37 PM
This probably isn't much of a problem, unless you have an odd number of people. For example, one time when we went there we had a party of five. We were seated with a party of three and I ended up being the one seated across from a stranger. This was awkward for me. As much as I like meeting new people, it was difficult to participate in my own party's conversation without feeling like I was ignoring the person directly in front of me. I'm sure they probably felt the same. If you have an even number of people (like four or six) then you know that you will be seated across from someone that you know.

As for the food, I am of German background and I think that most of it is quite authentic (or at least the way my mom used to prepare it!) The warm German potato salad, cucumber-dill salad, saurbraten, wurst and spaetzle are quite good. I've always found the schnitzel to be too dried out, however, and the salmon is kind of hit or miss. At least try a little of unfamiliar dishes--you may be surprised at how much you like them!

Thanks for the info - we're a family of 4 so it might be do-able! My hubby is German and LOVES the food, so that is why I really want to do it. (well, an his mom was Danish, so we have to do Akershus, too, LOL)

hubbyofadisneyholic
01-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Biergarten is one restaurant we ALWAYS hit.
The selection of food gives even picky eaters choices.

As far as the seating...we have had excellent experiences (one time we were seated with a family from Little Rock that knew Jennings Osbourne) and not so great ( one family totally ignored us the entire time) with most somewhere in between. Remember that most of us our there because we love Disny, so we already have something in common to use as a conversation starter. :mickey:

jonahbear2006
01-04-2011, 04:19 PM
hmmm. i booked lunch. so i shouldnt miss the sauerbraten? i might have to rebook it later in the day.

faline
01-04-2011, 05:43 PM
We prob wont be seated with many strangers. there are 9 of us. from what i was reading, most tables seat 8 here but i am very sociable. I love talking to strangers. :mickey:

Gosh, I wish you were seated with us on our last foray into this establishment! We found the food to be okay - not outstanding. However, the other folks seated at our table (We were a party of 2) made it very clear they were totally uninterested in having interaction with us.

One of our best meals was at Teppan Edo where we were seated with two other families (our party of 2, another party of 2, and a larger family). It was great fun and part of the reason was because everyone was willing to converse with the others.

I don't wish to upset those who are very shy and find it difficult to converse with others but I certainly understand shyness - I considered myself very shy for a number of years. I would encourage those who are shy to push the envelope a little bit and at least greet the others at their table - you might find it becomes a far more pleasant experience that you ever imagined! By the way, I now converse with any number of people who are strangers to me and have even done presentations to roomfuls of people I don't know. Am I always completely comfortable? Nope. But I know I will be fine!

mom2morgan
01-04-2011, 07:45 PM
I don't wish to upset those who are very shy and find it difficult to converse with others but I certainly understand shyness - I considered myself very shy for a number of years. I would encourage those who are shy to push the envelope a little bit and at least greet the others at their table - you might find it becomes a far more pleasant experience that you ever imagined! By the way, I now converse with any number of people who are strangers to me and have even done presentations to roomfuls of people I don't know. Am I always completely comfortable? Nope. But I know I will be fine!

Excellent post - my husband just reminded me that I talk to a LOT of strangers at Disney - I'm always striking up conversations on the bus, or even in the laundry area. It always seems to start with "so, where are you from?"

jonahbear2006
01-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Excellent post - my husband just reminded me that I talk to a LOT of strangers at Disney - I'm always striking up conversations on the bus, or even in the laundry area. It always seems to start with "so, where are you from?"

me too. i do this as well. i dont understand shyness either. it is just silly to not feel as though you can talk to another human. We are all the same. Not much about us sets us apart from each other and if you are both in disney, you have A LOT to discuss! Im am still not sure if to continue to try this restaurant or not. I am very concerned about what happens when my inlaws say we paid $20 a piece for THIS!?? I would love to try it and so would dh, but I just am not sure if the in laws are gonna enjoy themselves here or not.

Scar
01-05-2011, 08:16 PM
does the biergarten have beer on tap that is included with the meal price?If it were included, the men (and some women) would never leave.

mom2morgan
01-05-2011, 10:44 PM
me too. i do this as well. i dont understand shyness either. it is just silly to not feel as though you can talk to another human. We are all the same. Not much about us sets us apart from each other and if you are both in disney, you have A LOT to discuss! Im am still not sure if to continue to try this restaurant or not. I am very concerned about what happens when my inlaws say we paid $20 a piece for THIS!?? I would love to try it and so would dh, but I just am not sure if the in laws are gonna enjoy themselves here or not.
What are your inlaws like? Why don't you think they will enjoy themselves here? (I have inlaw issues so I'm tempted to say go without worrying about them, but I don't know your situation ;-)

Disney Hungarian
01-05-2011, 11:23 PM
When it comes to work or in-laws; I have often found it easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask permission.:secret: