PDA

View Full Version : When is Spring Break 2011?

Lodger
01-01-2011, 03:38 PM
The family is planning a trip to the World this March or early April, instead of our usual July trip. We are worried about Spring Break crowds. Does anyone know when the best time to visit would be this year? When I say the best time, I mean the least crowded. Thanks.

Strmchsr
01-01-2011, 03:53 PM
I honestly don't think anyone knows. Normally after Easter spring break crowds slow down, but this year Easter is so late that it seems folks are having Spring Break at a lot of different times. So, I'm not sure anyone can say for sure, but if you're planning a trip for March or April, better do it quick since most of the ADRs will already be gone and the discounts taken.

Jillirose
01-01-2011, 05:29 PM
I'm from northern MI and it is always the last week of March or the first week of April. I think many districts in the south tend to go the week of Easter. :thumbsup:

jonsmom
01-01-2011, 08:07 PM
I am from Massachusetts and our Spring Break begins on 4/ 16. Easter is late this year - 4/24

DreamFinder2
01-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Here, in Iowa, many schools have spring break during the week of March 13...so pretty early, when compared with other posts.

I'm heading down from the 12th through the 17th. My DW and I have been at WDW during many spring breaks, and the crowds are big, but definitely do-able. They're usually NOTHING like what we saw during the few days leading up to Christmas last year...wow! :(

Gregandmel
01-02-2011, 07:43 AM
Here is Kansas City our Spring Break begins on Friday March 11th and goes until Monday, March 21st (I'm not looking at a calendar so I may be off a day or two on actual "dates", but you get the idea). We have the earliest Spring Break it seems (here in the Midwest). I think the crowds will be somewhat more leveled out over March & April since Easter is late this year (April 24th) and a lot of districts coordinate their Spring Break with that week. I think it's probably NUTS when Easter is in late March, early April.....everyone is there at the same time. My sister in law and her family usually leave a day or two before our actual break starts and says the crowds are normally manageable with a good game plan. She's excited to go during this time frame this year, hoping the crowds won't be too bad with a late Easter. Good luck -just have a plan, get to the parks early and you'll get a lot done early on!! :thumbsup:

wildernesslady
01-02-2011, 09:23 AM
My daughter's college break is the week of March 7. We will be there the 5th - 11th. I was still able to change some ADRs for a party of 8 last week, so hopefully it wont be too crowded.

JakeontheCob
01-03-2011, 08:39 AM
In the NW Burbs of Chicago Spring Break is the week of March 21-25. We are headed down from the 19th-25th. 72 days and counting until we start our drive down. Can't wait.

I too am thinking that with Easter so late, that Spring Breaks are more spread out this year than other years. I am hoping crowds are less than when we went two years ago. While crowded, we still had fun, but we all know that less people equals more enjoyment for everyone.

1mickey1minnie
01-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Most of NC has spring break the week leading up to Easter with a few the week after. We are heading to WDW the first week of March hoping to avoid the larger crowds.

Darbylew
01-03-2011, 09:08 AM
We are going mid March. I hope the crowds will
be ok then. Since Easter is late this year I think
that is going to make a difference in the crowds
at this time of year but who knows as schools
have different spring breaks all over the country. :mickey:
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
MARCH! :D

Zeike
01-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Doing some research I found that the 1st week of april 2-9 is the one with least spring breaks.

Mitzie
01-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Large school district in northern Indiana...the week of April 4-8.

Lodger
01-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately those replies has spooked DW, so it looks like another hot, sticky July in the Parks. I've tried to reason that even if we ended up going during a Spring Break week, it couldn't be any more crowded than July. It couldn't. Could it?

ginger19
01-04-2011, 07:35 AM
I wouldn't pick July over March! I did it once and it was packed and miserably hot. I'd do the mid-late March spring break crowds before July again. I think March and April crowds will really be far more spread out than past years with Easter being so late. Most of NE has the time around Easter off and not time in March. I hope she changes her mind for you!

JakeontheCob
01-04-2011, 09:27 AM
I would agree that March even with crowds is better than the July heat and humidity. When we went in March two years ago, the weather was beautiful (low 80's most days and sunny with little to no humidity). The parks were crowded but not ridiculous. We were able to use our brains and never had any issues getting on anything we wanted to do. All in all we decided that this is a great time to go regardless of the spring break schedules.

I really do think the parks will be a little thinner this year with spring breaks being so spread out.

Good luck convincing the DW that March is better than July. ;)

forever a child
01-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately those replies has spooked DW, so it looks like another hot, sticky July in the Parks. I've tried to reason that even if we ended up going during a Spring Break week, it couldn't be any more crowded than July. It couldn't. Could it?

I would go in March over July. In March you will have some people who are on spring break. But in July you are GUARANTEED that everyone will be out on summer break. Plus the weather should be so much nicer in March. ;)

KylesMom
01-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Our spring break is the last week of March, which for the first time ever does not coincide with Easter week.

Spartan_Jeff
01-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Our spring break is the first week of April and thats when we will be going down.

PrettyMinnie
01-06-2011, 01:50 AM
Around us, most public schools have the week before Easter every year. Many private schools however always have the last two weeks of March off. Colleges around us either have the first or second week in March off. It's hard to predict these things. :unsure:

buzznwoodysmom
01-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Here in Southern Louisiana we'll have two breaks that fall in the spring. First is Mardi Gras. Most schools will be off the Monday - Wednesday (March 7, 8, 9). Many families take the whole week off and either go to WDW or snow skiing. Then our next break is Good Friday and the week after Easter.

wendybird
01-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Over here in California, ours is April 18-22. Our schools usually stay with the week right before or after Easter - no matter how much it moves around.

nkereina
01-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Many schools here in the Northeast have Spring Break the third week of April and after a long winter, many travel to Florida. People in Ontario Canada (very close to us) have Spring Break the second week of March I believe (could be the third week). Not sure if that applies to the rest of Canada also, but Canadian spring break is always mid March. Last year I was at WDW the last week of April and found the crowds to be tolerable, but it was also after Easter and our spring break.

Iluvpooh
01-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Here in Southern Louisiana we'll have two breaks that fall in the spring. First is Mardi Gras. Most schools will be off the Monday - Wednesday (March 7, 8, 9). Many families take the whole week off and either go to WDW or snow skiing. Then our next break is Good Friday and the week after Easter.
Same here in lower Bama. We will be there March 3rd-12th. 10 days with only 3 days of school missed. Great weather-we couldn't pass it up.

minnie04
01-07-2011, 09:33 AM
Here in South Florida it's March 13-18. We are booked the 13-16..Tell your DW its not that bad we have gone during the break before and you can manage the crowds just fine. It always looks a lot more crowded then it really is. Magic Kingdom is a tight fit (lots of buildings) ya know, It really beats the HOT summer here. :mickey: